Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had enough of the stock system and am replacing the entire thing, Speakers, deck adding an amp and a subwoofer.

The Stock System
1. Horrible bluetooth connection, it would turn into a robot voice randomly on both ends of a call (and no help from dealer, told it was normal)
2. Speaker distortion at even low volumes in the lower frequencies (even with the EQ bands 63, 160 turned all the way down)
3. Voices on talk radio shows (different stations) were hard to hear with out turning up loud
4. Stupid family friendly radio defaulting to SiriusXM channel 1 (and me forgetting to turn the volume down from talk radio)
Those were the big issues I was having.

New system
Head unit - Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
Front door system - JL ZR650-CSi
Rear doors - JL C5-650x
Subwoofer - HO110RG-W3v3 (going to be set up so that i can remove it when i need the cargo room for tools, camping gear and such)
Amplifier - JL XD700/5v2

Installation is being done by me. I have attached a few pictures of where I am at currently with install.
So far all I got done this weekend was taking out the interior and putting in dynamat and some new speaker wire.

Put the stock front door speaker back in so I can still listen to some music. I currently have the front seats back in with out any interior pieces or carpet lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5I Limited, Wilderness Green Metallic, EyeSight, Keyless Access with Push Button Start
33 Posts
Nice upgrade. Please keep us informed when it is all installed. I am considering my options because my Bluetooth rarely works and I am waiting on a new amplifier to be installed under warranty because the voice recognition does not work. A better sound system would be great also.

·
Registered
16 LBP 2.5 Limited
74 Posts
Wow!! I wish I had the time to do that. I'm sure the Dynamat will make it quieter. I'd be interested to know how much. Looks like a fun project.

Typed on a little keyboard, excuse any grammatical errors.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow!! I wish I had the time to do that. I'm sure the Dynamat will make it quieter. I'd be interested to know how much. Looks like a fun project.

Typed on a little keyboard, excuse any grammatical errors.

I used 3 bulk packs 108sqft. Yeah I went a little over board but that is what I do. I spent about 7 years on the last system I did in my jeep grand Cherokee only to get rid of it about 3 years later. I am not going as crazy on this project as I did that one though. The jeep was a full on custom subwoofer enclosure built into the vehicle, custom mounts r crossovers and power distribution etc...

Car audio is a love/hate relationship for me. Time consuming to do it right.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll post more pics a I get stuff done. Looking forward to hearing the system and the effect of the dynamat when the car is put back together

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,238 Posts
Nice work. Dynamat should really reduce any kind of road noise. How will this affect your warranty, if at all?
I cannot imagine what would be required if you had navigation and eyesight. Not sure eyesight and the sound system have any interconnects.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Dynamat and other deadeners will no have no bearing on the warranty, unless you have an issue with the body shell itself, as long as the wiring and connection points aren't covered up which looks like that's the case.

I agree 100% that full coverage is the way to go, especially if you've already got the carpet out. I used two bulk packs on my new Accord and never pulled the carpet and seats. My old Accord had approximately 300 sq ft by the time I did multiple layers on the roof, floor, firewall, doors, trunk lid, rear deck and truck. There wasn't much left that wasn't covered!

The JL amp is a beast. I put one in a Honda Fit that I had years ago. Very solid amp with plenty of output. Mine drove a set of Hertz 3 way components up front (bridged) and a single Exile 10" sub in the spare tire well. I look forward to more updates.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,238 Posts
Dynamat and other deadeners will no have no bearing on the warranty, unless you have an issue with the body shell itself, as long as the wiring and connection points aren't covered up which looks like that's the case.

I agree 100% that full coverage is the way to go, especially if you've already got the carpet out. I used two bulk packs on my new Accord and never pulled the carpet and seats. My old Accord had approximately 300 sq ft by the time I did multiple layers on the roof, floor, firewall, doors, trunk lid, rear deck and truck. There wasn't much left that wasn't covered!

The JL amp is a beast. I put one in a Honda Fit that I had years ago. Very solid amp with plenty of output. Mine drove a set of Hertz 3 way components up front (bridged) and a single Exile 10" sub in the spare tire well. I look forward to more updates.
I really meant tearing out the electronics and affecting the warranty. :)

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 3.6
608 Posts
Contrary to what dealers often say to customers a warranty can only be affected if they can prove the modification(s) directly affected the component. And then if it truly caused issues the warranty is voided only on that component and nothing else.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I dynamited my Jeep top to bottom couldn't even tell you how much was in there. did all the plastic to stiffen it up as well.
Those Hertz speakers are awesome. I looked at replacing the Boston Z comps in my Jeep with a set of the Hertz but couldn't pull the trigger. Can't remember what ones I was looking at but even at cost they were around $1200.

I have heard good things about the XD series, had the Slash series in the Jeep. Here is a link to a few pics of my jeep system in JL's user galley.

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee install and tweaking done by me subwoofer enclosure built by my friend Billy

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice work. Dynamat should really reduce any kind of road noise. How will this affect your warranty, if at all?
I cannot imagine what would be required if you had navigation and eyesight. Not sure eyesight and the sound system have any interconnects.
No eyesight or any of that so no worries there. As far as the warranty I am not making any modifications perse. Once I get it all back together the only thing that will be noticeable is that the deck will be different and that the subwoofer enclosure will be in the back unless I take it out. Speakers in stock locations, amp tucked away nicely under the seat and haven't yet determined where crossovers are going (that will come to me as I start to put it back together). Have to get creative with the gear when you're having the subwoofer enclosure removable lol.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Contrary to what dealers often say to customers a warranty can only be affected if they can prove the modification(s) directly affected the component. And then if it truly caused issues the warranty is voided only on that component and nothing else.
Not true. My son is a service advisor. He has customer warranty claims denied everyday. Many times because the owner did not bother reading the fine print of the warranty. It not very hard for them to relate seemingly unrelated items.

More than once he has had a customer come in for warranty work and advise him they were Uber drivers.....well guess what....that voids most every warranty and you did not modify a thing.

GM is infamous for voiding engine warranties where the owner did nothing more than add a catch can.

An owner can demand something be covered by warranty all they want but once the dealer/manufacturer says no, the onus moves to the owner to seek redress.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
I dynamited my Jeep top to bottom couldn't even tell you how much was in there. did all the plastic to stiffen it up as well.
Those Hertz speakers are awesome. I looked at replacing the Boston Z comps in my Jeep with a set of the Hertz but couldn't pull the trigger. Can't remember what ones I was looking at but even at cost they were around $1200.

I have heard good things about the XD series, had the Slash series in the Jeep. Here is a link to a few pics of my jeep system in JL's user galley.

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee install and tweaking done by me subwoofer enclosure built by my friend Billy

Great looking install!! I had the HSK163's in the Fit (around $700 retail) but went all the way to the Mille's in my Accord. They are pricey but sound really good, close to the Dynaudio drivers I had in my old Accord. I'll admit that I tend to go a little over the top on installs, but that's my hobby, and thankfully my wife is very understanding! :grin2:My current setup uses the aforementioned Mille's (tweeter and mid in a custom A pillar, midbass in the door), Phoenix Gold Ti2 4 and 5 channel amps, Helix DSP Pro, and an Image Dynamics IDQ12 sub. I'm trying to weasel my way into a set of JL TW3's and do two subs in the side panels. Here's a couple of links to the two phases of the install:

2014 Hybrid EX-L SQ Install - Drive Accord Honda Forums
Hybrid EX-L install update - Drive Accord Honda Forums

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited -2.5 CVT ---- 'Gone' 2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's my hair
118 Posts
I'll post more pics a I get stuff done. Looking forward to hearing the system and the effect of the dynamat when the car is put back together
As long as your Outback is in pieces....

I'm planning on wiring a 12 volt circuit into the glove box for a rechargeable work-light and then extend same circuit into right ''A" pillar for a dash-cam.

Is there space in the stock center dash to snake a wire from the fuse block into the glove box space? Can it be done without tearing the dash apart?

1 - 20 of 110 Posts