Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Well I've been driving and tweaking the system for a bit now and there are just a few frequencies (I am focusing on them too) that the car emphasizes that I just can't pull out with the HU EQ. I told myself I wasn't going to but having an active EQ in a system before and knowing what it can do for the sound I caved. A good friend of mine has this Audison Bit Ten D that he was going to use in one of his setups but went a different route.

I should have the unit in a few weeks and will begin the process of installing and tweaking. :nerd:

On the quick overview of the Audison Bit Ten D
DRC–Digital Remote Control (mounted on dash for driver control)
IN level: Input signals adjustments.
Active crossover for each output channel (Linkwitz @ 12 / 24 dB Butterworth @ 6 / 12 / 18 / 24 dB)
Time alignment
31-band, ± 12 dB graphic equalizer for each system channel.
In compliance with ISO requirements, frequencies are equally spaced at 1/3 Oct. from 20 to 20 kHz.

Excited to get this in and setup.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Fantastic! I'm a big fan of DSP's (I've got a Helix DSP Pro in my Accord) as long as you can handle all of the options and have a grip on what does what.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I still haven't had a chance to get going on the EQ but am hoping today to take advantage of the wife being sick to get some car audio time in the garage. I was familiarizing myself with the software yesterday, playing with the crossover and time alignment settings. Man this thing does quite a bit :)

The few of my friends that have heard it so far think I am crazy and that it sounds good, which it does but it can sound better I tell them lol.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
432 Posts
Interesting read. Great work. Not sure I would follow this path. I don't have any issues with the current sound but then again I have a bum ear from Menieres Disease. But if I could swap out just the HU and get Apple play and some other better features and NOT loose any of the other features like wheel controls, backup camera, and maybe SirusXM radio, I might be willing to do that.

So you have everything working right? If so I will have to go back thru your thread and see what you used. I did call Crutchfield and they do not have a harness for that car so you either manually wired it in or you found a plug and play harness. With a car that is only 4 months old, there is no way I cut any wires as this is not really that important. But if I could plug and play it, I would be game.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Interesting read. Great work. Not sure I would follow this path. I don't have any issues with the current sound but then again I have a bum ear from Menieres Disease. But if I could swap out just the HU and get Apple play and some other better features and NOT loose any of the other features like wheel controls, backup camera, and maybe SirusXM radio, I might be willing to do that.

So you have everything working right? If so I will have to go back thru your thread and see what you used. I did call Crutchfield and they do not have a harness for that car so you either manually wired it in or you found a plug and play harness. With a car that is only 4 months old, there is no way I cut any wires as this is not really that important. But if I could plug and play it, I would be game.

Thanks,
Matt
Didn't cut any wires at all. The wiring harness for the 2016 works and I got a harness from @SVXdc here on the forum for integrating the OEM camera (also has rca's for OEM aux input). I took the plastic adaptor plug off the SiriusXM antenna and connected to the after market SiriusXm unit and secured it with a bit of tape. Used a PAC audio steering wheel interface. The antenna adaptor is the metro 40-lx11.
@SVXdc website http://ae64.com

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
"Stereo" Out with the stock and in with the aftermarket

I am satisfied with the sound Quality of my stock radio in my Outback premium. But would really like CarPlay in it. Would you recommend I change my factory radio with an after market one? If yes, what model would you recommend that is most plug compatible. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited
92 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited
92 Posts
Thanks. It looks good. Does it maintain all Subaru features like steering controls, backup camera , dashboard mic, car notifications etc. thanks again.

Well, yes and no. To use the Steering wheel controls, usb connection, back up camera, etc. you have to buy adapters to do all of that. That would be the case with any aftermarket head unit. Crutchfields website will identify what kits and adapters you will need. I haven't seen one for the Mic or the backup camera that works. If you have the HK Stereo, then there is far less.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
846 Posts
Got the the EQ in today and what a difference. Crazy the frequencies the Subaru enhances and cancels. Didn't realize the pic was a tad blurry till i looked at it here, sorry about that.
Interesting, can you give us more data on the frequencies? I'm sure it's not easy to tweak and compensate with the stock EQ but I'm curious.

I'm well past the point where I want to dismantle and rewire, etc., as needed to do a new install, and probably not that offended yet, (in 1,900 miles) by what I hear to pay a shop to do it. But I'm curious and always interested...

:cool:
Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I will attach pictures of my EQ settings may be easier then trying to explain it. The fronts are JL ZR650-CSi, rears are JL C5-650x. Both Crossed over at 80hz w/12db slope on processor.

The pictures show what it took to basically get a flat reading on the RTA. Before the Eq it sounded good but the voices (to me) sounded to be behind the music instead of part of it. Now again if I had not had an EQ of this sort in a previous system I would have been really happy with what it sounded like before I added the Audison.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Interesting, can you give us more data on the frequencies? I'm sure it's not easy to tweak and compensate with the stock EQ but I'm curious.

I'm well past the point where I want to dismantle and rewire, etc., as needed to do a new install, and probably not that offended yet, (in 1,900 miles) by what I hear to pay a shop to do it. But I'm curious and always interested...

:cool:
Thanks,
Jon

I did this installation my self. I don't think I would have gone this far if I had to pay someone else to do this.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Well, yes and no. To use the Steering wheel controls, usb connection, back up camera, etc. you have to buy adapters to do all of that. That would be the case with any aftermarket head unit. Crutchfields website will identify what kits and adapters you will need. I haven't seen one for the Mic or the backup camera that works. If you have the HK Stereo, then there is far less.

Does that mean we lose back up camera or mic when using this after market unit? That will be a big loss.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Does that mean we lose back up camera or mic when using this after market unit? That will be a big loss.

You lose the stock mic. I was wanting to keep this as well but talked with several people about trying and all said that the mic doesn't work well with aftermarket due to the way it is insulated. Lots of noise. Pick up a harness from @SVXdc website Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information for the back up camera.

I'll post a pic of where I put my MIC later. I didm' want to look at it and have it hanging out. It clipped nicely by the steering wheel and I don't notice it while driving and it works really well in this location so far.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited
92 Posts

You lose the stock mic. I was wanting to keep this as well but talked with several people about trying and all said that the mic doesn't work well with aftermarket due to the way it is insulated. Lots of noise. Pick up a harness from @SVXdc website Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information for the back up camera.

I'll post a pic of where I put my MIC later. I didm' want to look at it and have it hanging out. It clipped nicely by the steering wheel and I don't notice it while driving and it works really well in this location so far.
You lose the Mic, some of the steering wheel audio controls and the vehicle information you can access on the OEM head unit. There is a adapter you can get for the back up camera (Beat-Sonic BC1SUS OEM Back-up Camera Interface Adapter). I'm pretty sure that the cable that ntculenuf mentioned above is for the 2013-2014 model year and wont work with the 2015-2017 since they are completely different.

If you have the HK head unit, then it's really not an easy switch out and you lose even more. You will lose the amp and there is no aftermarket harness (that I can find) to plug the head unit into the wiring harness (not the same at the non- HK head unit). You would likely have to tap into the factory harness and speaker wires after the HK amp.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
You lose the Mic, some of the steering wheel audio controls and the vehicle information you can access on the OEM head unit. There is a adapter you can get for the back up camera (Beat-Sonic BC1SUS OEM Back-up Camera Interface Adapter). I'm pretty sure that the cable that ntculenuf mentioned above is for the 2013-2014 model year and wont work with the 2015-2017 since they are completely different.

If you have the HK head unit, then it's really not an easy switch out and you lose even more. You will lose the amp and there is no aftermarket harness (that I can find) to plug the head unit into the wiring harness (not the same at the non- HK head unit). You would likely have to tap into the factory harness and speaker wires after the HK amp.

The cable works I have a 2017 and way cheaper than the one from beat sonic. I purchased This power step down and the harness from SVXdc which plugged into factory harness and had all the wires needed to connect to power step down, male RCA for camera and L&R female RCA for using the oem AUX input.

I have my steering wheel controls to. There are a few interfaces for this. (you just program them for what they do, some even program themselves when connected)

You can also get the Maestro Interface to keep some of the vehicle information. I chose not to add this. The cost for it didn't justify what I got out of it. I may add it later just to add it.

There are also several processors that allow you to keep your OEM deck and add aftermarket speakers and amps for better sound. Audison, Audio Control, JL, Kicker are just a few that make these. Some are definitely better than others.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The cable works I have a 2017 and way cheaper than the one from beat sonic. I purchased This power step down and the harness from SVXdc which plugged into factory harness and had all the wires needed to connect to power step down, male RCA for camera and L&R female RCA for using the oem AUX input.

I have my steering wheel controls to. There are a few interfaces for this. (you just program them for what they do, some even program themselves when connected)

You can also get the Maestro Interface to keep some of the vehicle information. I chose not to add this. The cost for it didn't justify what I got out of it. I may add it later just to add it.

There are also several processors that allow you to keep your OEM deck and add aftermarket speakers and amps for better sound. Audison, Audio Control, JL, Kicker are just a few that make these. Some are definitely better than others.

Seems like a lot more than I can handle. All I want to do is to add CarPlay support. I am happy with the stock sound.

Is there an easier way?

61 - 80 of 110 Posts