Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Does anyone make a plug compatible stereo for OB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If they did, it most likely would not include the "premium" features that require specific parts or programming, like Apple's CarPlay.

In general, you can replace a radio fairly simply. It's the quest to retain the OEM features that makes it more difficult. David (svxdc) is a great guy to deal with, especially since he has chosen to tackle the sometimes difficult job of decoding OEM wiring, and sourcing OEM harness' to make an aftermarket solution work. For someone like the OP or myself, tackling the install is the fun part of the journey. Making all of the bits and pieces work together is sometimes difficult and frustrating but its worth it to me in the long run. If you are interested in something that involves Apple, you might as well get ready to spend some money. Apple products are great, but cheap they are not!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Seems like a lot more than I can handle. All I want to do is to add CarPlay support. I am happy with the stock sound.

Is there an easier way?

I saw some where on this forum someone talking of an update??? But at this point without changing the head unit I will say no. But again I could be wrong if an update is out that allows the OEM HU do this.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I saw some where on this forum someone talking of an update??? But at this point without changing the head unit I will say no. But again I could be wrong if an update is out that allows the OEM HU do this.

I will be open to buying the new HU if it can work in the existing OB.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I will be open to buying the new HU if it can work in the existing OB.

Aftermarket can work, there are just steps that have to be taken to integrate is all :)

1. Steering wheel interface
2. Maestro if wanted (car info depending on aftermarket HU)
3. Proper harness' to integrate camera
4. Slight modification for SiriusXM antenna
5. Proper wire harness and dash kit

All pretty simple really, mostly plug and play. The gain is well worth it too.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Aftermarket can work, there are just steps that have to be taken to integrate is all :)

1. Steering wheel interface
2. Maestro if wanted (car info depending on aftermarket HU)
3. Proper harness' to integrate camera
4. Slight modification for SiriusXM antenna
5. Proper wire harness and dash kit

All pretty simple really, mostly plug and play. The gain is well worth it too.

Thanks. I think so too. Is there a video someone may have made for installation in an OB?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
"Stereo" Out with the stock and in with the aftermarket

Now that the 2018 OB will have a much better (hopefully) radio with CarPlay, should one buy a 2017 and replace the radio or wait for 2018 to arrive. With lower discounts on a new model, 2018 may cost about 1500 more than the current 2017 and may not have 0 percent financing and have to wait 7 months.

This mod will probably be cheaper. What do you think?

·
Registered
2016 3.6R with all options, 2014 Crosstrek
834 Posts
Now that the 2018 OB will have a much better (hopefully) radio with CarPlay, should one buy a 2017 and replace the radio or wait for 2018 to arrive. With lower discounts on a new model, 2018 may cost about 1500 more than the current 2017 and may not have 0 percent financing and have to wait 7 months.

This mod will probably be cheaper. What do you think?

You would trade a vehicle due to CarPlay alone?

Either way, don't count on a mod to easily work.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
Since when has Subaru integrated 3rd party systems seamlessly? Buy the 'car' and start driving, entertainment will be obsolete by the time it rolls off the factory. And neither should you hold your breath on a mod.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,842 Posts
Buy the 'car' and start driving, entertainment will be obsolete by the time it rolls off the factory.
Yep. You are buying a motor vehicle with an entertainment system attached ... not the other way around.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Yep. You are buying a motor vehicle with an entertainment system attached ... not the other way around.

When I buy a car, I buy all of it. Motor, air-conditioning, electric windows and doors, navigation and that it is easy to work with my lifestyle. Smart phone is integral to my lifestyle. For me it is more important than knowing how many extra horse power is in the car. It is definitely more important than whether I have a 6 cylinder or a four cylinder car. You have seen here how people obsess about their 6 cylinder cars and probably can understand why other people may obsess about how well the car integrates with their smartphones.

Just saying that it is an important element of buying a car for me.

Having said that, so far I have not found a car with or without CarPlay that I would rather purchase.

Just my 0.02. YMMV ...

But would love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
When I buy a car, I buy all of it. Motor, air-conditioning, electric windows and doors, navigation and that it is easy to work with my lifestyle. Smart phone is integral to my lifestyle. For me it is more important than knowing how many extra horse power is in the car. It is definitely more important than whether I have a 6 cylinder or a four cylinder car. You have seen here how people obsess about their 6 cylinder cars and probably can understand why other people may obsess about how well the car integrates with their smartphones.

Just saying that it is an important element of buying a car for me.

Having said that, so far I have not found a car with or without CarPlay that I would rather purchase.

Just my 0.02. YMMV ...

But would love to hear your thoughts.

Take for example, navigation. All my other cars have them but I never use them. The ease of using navigation on a smartphone is so much faster. Google a business and hit directions. Or go to your contacts and hit directions. Or get address in text or email and hit directions. Or have some one share his directions and I just click on it.

No speaking or fiddling with the navigation keypads.

Again just my 0.02 but would love to hear your opinion.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.0D
215 Posts
Just ged a car you like, and go for a aftermarket android hu. There are some of options, and more is incoming.
If you save your money from harman navi system and go with basic audio, you can install better speakers, better hu, better amps, if you like AND still saving some money...
Car makers give something, but thats it, this way we can have unlimited options.

I was like you, but now my phone stays in my pocket when driving. HU is way better,, safer, you can have same apps in HU.
I use google maps and Sygic, but almost everything found in play store works.
Everything can be synced via google account, to my car.
Some phone apps even have option to beam routes to another device own like tablet (use your hu).

These headunits works like a basic phone, but bigger display and audio.
I also monitor my car via obd, control my home automation via domoticz, get news/weather feed, etc...

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,842 Posts
Smart phone is integral to my lifestyle ... Just saying that it is an important element of buying a car for me.
Though I don't share it, that is perfectly legitimate priority. You are the customer, after all. But if that's the case, then a Subaru is probably not the optimum vehicle choice for you.

My biggest complaint is with the people (not you) who regularly post here whining that the electronics in their new Subaru "suck," and demanding that Subaru do something about it. The time to make that determination is before purchase, not afterwards.

One dilemma for all auto manufacturers is that their product development cycle is about five years long, while the cycle for consumer electronic products these days is typically 18 months or less ... and getting shorter. This virtually guarantees that most purpose-built automotive electronics will always be several cycles behind current consumer electronics, so compatibility and interoperability become major problems. Apple (for example) doesn't care that your Subaru won't work properly with their latest new product release. (FWIW, as another example, the Linux kernel at the heart of the Fujitsu Ten systems in our new Legacys and Outbacks is vintage ~2006.)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Though I don't share it, that is perfectly legitimate priority. You are the customer, after all. But if that's the case, then a Subaru is probably not the optimum vehicle choice for you.

My biggest complaint is with the people (not you) who regularly post here whining that the electronics in their new Subaru "suck," and demanding that Subaru do something about it. The time to make that determination is before purchase, not afterwards.

One dilemma for all auto manufacturers is that their product development cycle is about five years long, while the cycle for consumer electronic products these days is typically 18 months or less ... and getting shorter. This virtually guarantees that most purpose-built automotive electronics will always be several cycles behind current consumer electronics, so compatibility and interoperability become major problems. Apple (for example) doesn't care that your Subaru won't work properly with their latest new product release. (FWIW, as another example, the Linux kernel at the heart of the Fujitsu Ten systems in our new Legacys and Outbacks is vintage ~2006.)

Very true. And specially true for me who intends to keep a car for 15+ years. It is always a compromise. But as I said earlier, I have not yet found a car with or without CarPlay that I would rather buy.

Another reader here mentioned that the solution is to use after market solutions and change them as technology changes. I am sure it has its own compromises.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Just ged a car you like, and go for a aftermarket android hu. There are some of options, and more is incoming.
If you save your money from harman navi system and go with basic audio, you can install better speakers, better hu, better amps, if you like AND still saving some money...
Car makers give something, but thats it, this way we can have unlimited options.

I was like you, but now my phone stays in my pocket when driving. HU is way better,, safer, you can have same apps in HU.
I use google maps and Sygic, but almost everything found in play store works.
Everything can be synced via google account, to my car.
Some phone apps even have option to beam routes to another device own like tablet (use your hu).

These headunits works like a basic phone, but bigger display and audio.
I also monitor my car via obd, control my home automation via domoticz, get news/weather feed, etc...

Thanks. Some others here mentioned that aftermarket units do not integrate well with Subaru.

Can you comment on what, if anything, did not integrate as well in your installation as with the stock radio? I think you mentioned that you could not use built in mic. What else did not integrate?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Except for the mic, nearly every other aspect can be made to work. There are interfaces that will allow some of the vehicle features to be utilized, like the SWC, aux inputs, and the Sirius antenna. If CarPlay is a priority, an integrated OEM solution will eventually be outdated, like others have mentioned. CarPlay isn't for me, but I would definitely look to the aftermarket.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts