Subaru Outback Forums banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
"Stereo" Out with the stock and in with the aftermarket

Except for the mic, nearly every other aspect can be made to work. There are interfaces that will allow some of the vehicle features to be utilized, like the SWC, aux inputs, and the Sirius antenna. If CarPlay is a priority, an integrated OEM solution will eventually be outdated, like others have mentioned. CarPlay isn't for me, but I would definitely look to the aftermarket.

Is it possible to connect Steering mounted Bluetooth controls to after market stereo that OP had implemented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Maybe. I've not looked recently but the BT controls are generally supported in the SWC adapter, its the aftermarket radio that tends to be the stumbling block. A little research on the front end will narrow your radio choices.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
"Stereo" Out with the stock and in with the aftermarket

Maybe. I've not looked recently but the BT controls are generally supported in the SWC adapter, its the aftermarket radio that tends to be the stumbling block. A little research on the front end will narrow your radio choices.

Maybe @AimoPaukko will comment about the stereo that he implemented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.0D
215 Posts
Oem steering controls are fully operational, Mine came plug and play ready, so sw interphase is included.
I can even program those anyway i like via steeringwheel app.
For example, i do not use speech in my language, so my voice button is now my android HOME.
List button opens navigation and so on...
IF you want to use bluetooth? If it is supported with android devices, it probably work with these too.

Everything but mic works, My hu has mic on faceplate, but came also with optional wired mic. I left it on box because i do not need it.

I cant comment anything about all bells and whistles like sirius, crosstraffic sensors, etc, i do not have those in my middle trim 2015 European model.
All info is in my old thread, and there is my dealer also mentioned, He is very helpfull.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/365561-aftermarket-headunits-finally-incoming.html

Now i end this thread hijack. Thanks and sorry :29:

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Well I'm coming up on 4yrs with my outback and the last few months having to much time on my hands, the outback has made some changes. Mostly subtle changes.

So what happened was.....
Replaced windshield, guy installing got hear it something on one of the A-pillars. Took them out covered then with black headliner material. And that's when I convinced myself to pull the headliner.

Never really liked the interior design. From the windows up it's light grey and from the windows down black. So with some high temp glue, flat black spray paint, black headliner material (3/16 foam backed), a lot of work and time. And since the headliner is out I put in some heat/sound insulation on the roof.

The suby is so much quieter. Best way I can describe it is it feels more like being in a more expensive luxury car. About a 10° difference from the metal on the outside and the headliner. And in AZ, keeping the inside of the car as cool as possible is the goal.

Added the insulation to a lot of the plastic and rear quarter panels where I didn't have Dynamat. Panels fit more snug (less things to rattle). I covered a couple pieces with headliner that didn't have anything on them before and painted a lot of plastic. The "oh sh!t" handles I left and visors are still light grey, for now. Visors I will need to dye black, they are not designed to be taken apart after assembly.

As for the stereo... Huge difference in sound. Low end sounds tighter and cleaner. Covering the A-pillars with the headliner material stops some extra reflection and tweeters are crisper and cleaner. The over all sound had improved quite a bit.
I'll add a link to a photo album later today.

IMG_20200521_063127584.jpg

·
Registered
2016 3.6R with all options, 2014 Crosstrek
834 Posts
Well I'm coming up on 4yrs with my outback and the last few months having to much time on my hands, the outback has made some changes. Mostly subtle changes.

Replaced windshield, guy installing got hear it something on one of the A-pillars. Took them out covered then with black headliner material. And that's when I convinced myself to pull the headliner.

Never really liked the interior design. From the windows up it's light grey and from the windows down black. So with some high temp glue, flat black spray paint, black headliner material (3/16 foam backed), a lot of work and time. And since the headliner is out I put in some heat/sound insulation on the roof.

The suby is so much quieter. Best way I can describe it is it feels more like being in a more expensive luxury car. About a 10° difference from the metal on the outside and the headliner. And in AZ, keeping the inside of the car as cool as possible is the goal.

Added the insulation to a lot of the plastic and rear quarter panels where I didn't have Dynamat. Panels fit more snug (less things to rattle). I covered a couple pieces with headliner that didn't have anything on them before and painted a lot of plastic. The "oh sh!t" handles I left and visors are still light grey, for now. Visors I will need to dye black, they are not designed to be taken apart after assembly.

As for the stereo... Huge difference in sound. Low end sounds tighter and cleaner. Covering the A-pillars with the headliner material stops some extra reflection and tweeters are crisper and cleaner. The over all sound had improved quite a bit.

View attachment 484679

Wow!! Much effort and looks good. Love to see progress pics of the headliner, etc swap.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,238 Posts

View attachment 484679
Nice work. What sound/insulation material did you use on the roof?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Sorry about no getting back here sooner with pictures, it's been a little crazy outside.

I've also just recently removed the rear door speakers. Just unnecessary noise that is not needed. I always try to put rear speakers in my systems only to phase them out. I focus my soundstage to be in front of me at the windshield about eye level, and rear speakers distract from that. And if anybody is in the back seat and we're listening to music, they get close to the same experience.

Here are a couple links to Google photo albums of my suby's transformations.

I have an idea. Yup yup I'm ridiculous

Subster stereo install

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #109

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Catching up reading some post on this thread I saw that I had mounted the mic from the pioneer HU at the steering wheel. This didn't last very long. It is mounted at the over head console (much better). Over the years I've tossed the idea around to really make it stealth and putting the mic in the OEM mic location but I tell myself to just leave it alone. IMG_20200629_074027839~2.jpg

101 - 110 of 110 Posts