Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, but am excited to share my passion with y'all! I have been a Subaru FANATIC, owning them exclusively for almost 10 years. My wife and I are the proud owners of 3 Legacies, the latest being a 2003 Outback Limited wagon, black in color. It's a SWEET machine! I have had it for a week now, and it's the finset car I have ever owned. (Others: 1993 Legacy L wagon, black...for sale! And a 1996 Legacy GT sedan, navy blue).

My questions: (all about the 2003 OBW...please help!!!)

1. I have installed a Kenwood Excelon deck, which sounds great...but the factory-installed Subaru subwoofer in the cargo area does not work with it. I assume that the sub is wired to the small DIN plug I removed from the Subaru factory CD player, so is there a way to re-wire it to the subwoofer output of my Kenwood? I have no problem soldering or adding a harness, but no one I have asked seems to know how it was wired in the first place.

2. When I was done installing the stereo, the light in the passenger seat heater switch did not work. I assumed I had messed it up by partially pulling wires out, etc. But when I disassembled and looked it over, it looked fine...so I (stupidly!) disassembled the working driver's-side switch to compare. They looked the same. I re-installed, and now NEITHER switch's lights work. ****! Anyone seen a similar problem? As an added bummer, it seems that the switches do not activate the seat heaters either...neither one heats up, at least not enough that I can feel it. HELP!

3. I read in the manual about an auto-dimming rear-view mirror, with an internal digital compass. I would like to get one...but can they be installed aftermarket? If so, where do they wire from? The panel with map light controls?

4. There is a terribly loud wind leak in the driver's side window molding, right where it meets the door mirror. Is there a way to fix it without replacing the whole seal all around the door? I would guess that would be pricy.

Thank you very much for any insight you can provide. I look forward to hearing from any of you!

Jer

·
Registered
05 XT
171 Posts
HI, I also have the same problem with the drivers side door. It gets annoying especially on the highway. I would also love how to fix that. Thanks

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
had same problem in 95 Legacy L wagon on pass. side, esp when wind is from left. sticking folded piece of paper into place between window and seal helps temporarily for long trips. but i think door gasket is really the cure. may not be as pricey as you think, and doesn't look too tough to change.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Regarding the wind noise...With the frameless window in the door, that leaves us with an option to fix noises like wind, etc. When you look at the seal, it is split. What auto body places do is find the weak area of the strip, and put a small rubber piece into the weatherstripping where the noise is coming from. That seals the stripping better against the window.

In other words, put something in the slit of the weatherstripping where you think the noise is, go for a drive, see if it fixes it, then make it a little more permanent with glue or whatever. Have fun. Brian

·
Registered
2003 Outback 5-speed
22 Posts
reviving a really old thread!!!

I too am wondering how to make the factory sub in the cargo area work with an aftermarket head unit.

Has anybody had any luck in the last 5 years? ;)

Anybody know how to take that sub out? Is it just a gentle prying job?

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts