Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
08 Outback LL Bean edition
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know if my sticky dashboard is due to residue or if ti's a defect. If it's residue, I'd like advice on how to clean it. It only gets sticky and shiny in the sun or when it gets hot. For example: my car was in a garage completely out of daylight for over a month and when I picked it up the dashboard was very dusty and kind of "grey" looking instead of charcoal black. I assumed it was regular dust from my garage because they keep the passenger window open on the parked cars However, when I drove and parked it in the warm sun it became shiny and very sticky. Can this be residue from a dash cream or wipe that a car wash may have used? (i.e. something akin to Armor All?). Last year I took it to a place where they finish it by hand and I have no idea what they used. I know my model had a dash recall which is now expired, and I sort of remember getting the letter but not having this problem at all at that time so I didn't follow through. If the stickiness is due to residue, what can I do to remove it? I tried rubbing it off with a "magic eraser" which didn't do much, and I noticed that if I scrape it with my fingernail it's easy to mar it. I have the open recall on the Takata airbag; I got the letter last month, so they'll have to remove the dashboard to replace the airbag soon. (Maybe this week because my catalytic converter is being replaced which is a whole different issue!)

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
761 Posts
There once was a recall on the dash. Not anymore. The dash pad material is very frail and damages easily. Don't use any harsh degreasers.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,075 Posts
look back for posts by @DavidPeab and his 2008 H6 he calls Onyx. he got the recall taken care of shortly after buying it off another member.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Touring 2.5
136 Posts
Try a little Good Off but start in a small out of the way place to test it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that like Goo Gone? I've never heard of that. If I knew which solvent to use that could remove whatever's on there (if it's not the dissolving dashboard issue) I could use that.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Don't use solvents on the dash pad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about a gentle soap and water? (Plus some white vinegar?) I've also been reading about a few products, Griot's Garage interior cleaner, Einszett Cockpit cleaner, P&S detailing cleaner spray..

·
Registered
761 Posts
The acetic acid in vinegar might eat at the vinyl coated foam of the dash pad. Distilled white vinegar is great for cleaning coffee pots, but it is too strong in this application. Groits interior cleaner will not harm it. I have used it on mine with no harm. Meguiars natural shine will give it some UV protectant after cleaning without leaving a greasy film. Whatever you use do not scrub or rub hard. Scour away anywhere else in the car, just not the dash pad.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
346 Posts
Re: recall - My dash has also missing chunks. I recently tried to get a replacement but Subaru is no longer doing it. It was for gen3 10 years after fabrication. We are way past. I tried getting a replacement from eBay/junk yard but most were is same bad condition as mine or they did not want to provide close up pictures. Local yard did not have any good or bad.
My only luck was my regular parts supplier was nice to give me employee prices around Christmas for a new one.

If yours is only sticky but otherwise not damaged use above mentioned products or equivalent.

If you want a long term fix take it out and re-plaint it. There are special primer and paints for that.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited/Ex: 2000 Outback Limited
203 Posts
Try googling 'sticky no more' ... no guarantees on what you'll find. It is sumthin' I had in my notes.

Bill

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
30 Posts
I had this same issue, about two years ago... mine is an 07... so too old for the ten year rule. I just bit the bullet and bought a new one. I think it was somewhere near $200-$250, but dont quote me on that. Its been perfect ever since, and makes the whole car feel so much nicer. Good luck, I know this type of issue is incredibly annoying, as it seems so simple and easy.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
346 Posts
My new replacement was $396 in December. If you go this way make sure you can do the install yourself of have the money to pay the shop. Install is expensive.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
30 Posts
My new replacement was $396 in December. If you go this way make sure you can do the install yourself of have the money to pay the shop. Install is expensive.
yea i do most everything on my subie myself anyway so I did mine myself. again, this was two or so years ago so its been a while haha

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just made it under the wire. I actually found about the recall right here! Subaru definitely did something wrong with that, but they did take care of it for us. By the way, what do you folks use as a cleaner? How about vinyl conditioners?

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
30 Posts
We just made it under the wire. I actually found about the recall right here! Subaru definitely did something wrong with that, but they did take care of it for us. By the way, what do you folks use as a cleaner? How about vinyl conditioners?
for me, i have found that i nedn't use anything more than a terry cloth (with maybe a small dampness to it) to get it dusted. I haven't tried any cleaners yet because 1)it never needs anything more than a dusting and 2) im afraid of needing another replacement lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts