Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 legacy outback 2.5 sohc mt 251475 miles
Thanks to this page I found one of the problems, it ran good cold bit as it warmed up it hardly went anywhere. Turns out that the crankshaft jumped a tooth on the timing belt. However, right about the same time, the rear main sealand oil separator plate decided to dump oil everywhere. I was getting the p0341 camshaft position sensor code so ii looked around there and the wires to the cps were damaged so I went to the salvage lot and got another connector. Then, I pulled the engine and did the rear main seal, the oil separator plate and rebuilt the cps cable. It still ran like crap so i dropped $50 on a new cps and while i was resetting the ecu in the auto parts store parking lot, right after installing the now nonreturnable part i discovered a thread that i have since lost. The guy had the exact same problem that i did! When it warmed up it wouldnt run right. Someone commented that the timing was off a tooth or so and to just redo that. So I did that and now it runs great BUT i think it still dumps oil. I'm eating tacos right now just after the first test drive but after doing the res and osp shouldn't that have fixed the problem or since the crankshaft was short a tooth from the timing did that mean that it reached astronomical oil pressure around the back of the block and blew out the new seal? I used red rtv on the oil separator plate and it looked like the red was originally used for the plastic one. I'm not sure I want to pull the engine again to redo the rear main seal, I'm sure a garage would just drop the transmission and get it done in a fraction of what it took me. I've probably answered my own question but. I just wanted to check with y'all.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,642 Posts
speaking generally, you may just need to really clean well and confirm where the oil is coming from.

while doing that, good idea to replace or at least clean the PCV valve - they can sometimes cause oil leaks to be more severe if clogged/gummy.

no easy way to get 'astronomical oil pressure' - happened to me once when I had a Honda engine opened up for a few weeks and the oil pressure relief valve was stuck. It blew-out the seal on the oil filter.

there are other sources for oil, valve cover gaskets, oil sender , etc.

others here have experience with engine resealing so, maybe they will have an idea.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts