Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered if anyone that ordered the engine underguard, and had to wait like I did (because its on backorder) has had theirs installed now?
I think there were a few of you like me.
I am about to contact my dealer - its been about a month - still waiting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same, took delivery in early October and when contacting the dealer teceny they said December. After reading this, I suspect there is no hard date set.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Edition XT Autumn Green Metallic
125 Posts
I took delivery on my Onyx last Friday and the underguard (aluminum for the Onyx Edition) was not available yet. So I'm waiting too.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT White
101 Posts
Wondered if anyone that ordered the engine underguard, and had to wait like I did (because its on backorder) has had theirs installed now?
I think there were a few of you like me.
I am about to contact my dealer - its been about a month - still waiting.
Timmons just sent me a status update; My Onyx is delayed by 7 days.😬 Maybe by then the diff. and engine plates will be in?!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Timmons just sent me a status update; My Onyx is delayed by 7 days.😬 Maybe by then the diff. and engine plates will be in?!
oh I forgot you are out of Timmons too! haha

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
391 Posts
Still waiting for mine as well, my retailer said they got an eta of Dec 27 from the parts channel when I picked up my outback.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited Green
223 Posts
Did you see it? How is the quality and thickness?
I took a few pics today but didn’t have anything to measure the thickness with. It seems think enough at least for my intended use of light off-roading.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
347 Posts
I took a few pics today but didn’t have anything to measure the thickness with. It seems think enough at least for my intended use of light off-roading.
Thank you for taking and posting your pictures, much appreciated :) I have only seen the ones made by Primitive Racing, and was wondering if either seems to have any distinct pros. The Subaru ones look good, looks to have excellent coverage and actually the price seems very reasonable.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
665 Posts
As I understand it, the underguard(s) for the XT-engine cars are aluminum, whereas the ones for the 2.5 NA cars are steel. I am thinking that the photos posted above are for the steel version?

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory (ON ORDER), Skid Plates etc
163 Posts
As I understand it, the underguard(s) for the XT-engine cars are aluminum, whereas the ones for the 2.5 NA cars are steel. I am thinking that the photos posted above are for the steel version?
So that makes me wonder about strength for he XT's as the one we have on our Forester is a 3/16" steel from Primitive Racing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That’s correct. I have the 2.5 so this is the steel one.

·
Registered
223 Posts
So that makes me wonder about strength for he XT's as the one we have on our Forester is a 3/16" steel from Primitive Racing.
I read somewhere (don’t recall where) that due to how heat reasons (flow or max temp) the steel one cannot be used on the turbo engines!

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
391 Posts
The parts manager asked which I wanted (steel vs aluminum) to order for mine. I chose aluminum due to weight.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
347 Posts
The parts manager asked which I wanted (steel vs aluminum) to order for mine. I chose aluminum due to weight.
This is the first time that I have heard that one could have either? And I wish we could get a definitive answer as to why in the literature, it says the skid plate for one would be aluminum and the other, steel?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is the first time that I have heard that one could have either? And I wish we could get a definitive answer as to why in the literature, it says the skid plate for one would be aluminum and the other, steel?
I dont know man, the dealers are just so all over the place - Im guessing making it an "option" is a mistake because he doesn't know better.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I dont know man, the dealers are just so all over the place - Im guessing making it an "option" is a mistake because he doesn't know better.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Steel is much stronger but holds heat more, can rust especially if you scrarch the bottom, and weighs more. I’d also assume that enough ventilation exists and the steel is thin enough that the heat is not an issue. In my mind if someone was worried about underside damage that given a choice you’d want steal.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Steel is much stronger but holds heat more, can rust especially if you scrarch the bottom, and weighs more. I’d also assume that enough ventilation exists and the steel is thin enough that the heat is not an issue. In my mind if someone was worried about underside damage that given a choice you’d want steal.
the original build page for the 2020s did not let you choose which one, it depended on the car trim you chose.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts