Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback Premium
8 Posts
One more data point. My engine underguard is also back-ordered. I was told January. Mine's the aluminum version. Rear differential cover was installed prior to delivery on December 10th.

·
Registered
13 Posts
the original build page for the 2020s did not let you choose which one, it depended on the car trim you chose.
The parts seem to look identical on various Subaru parts sites. Are they interchangeable? I got an aluminum for my Onyx XT, but it looks identical to the one above. Both are painted black. I would think the 2.4T would be a little different that the 2.5.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone know what the silver piece of the underguard is in the parts picture?

The service manager at the dealership where I purchased my car says it is not included in the kit. This is the larger picture of that silverish piece.

I'm trying to figure out if I got the steel or aluminum version because it was already installed when I received the vehicle. This is the only difference that I can tell. They couldn't tell me if the steel or aluminum under guards are interchangeable.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
one is aluminum for the 2.4T one is steel for the 2.5 .... not sure why they have both pictures in the one description (the aluminum), and in the other one on the parts websites, they show the one part (the steel one).

mistake on their listing/pictures provided.

·
Registered
13 Posts
one is aluminum for the 2.4T one is steel for the 2.5 .... not sure why they have both pictures in the one description (the aluminum), and in the other one on the parts websites, they show the one part (the steel one).

mistake on their listing/pictures provided.
Then I suppose since I have an Onyx XT, I shouldn't worry that I might have gotten a steel one. Still wondering what that aluminum looking piece is since it doesn't look like an under guard.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Then I suppose since I have an Onyx XT, I shouldn't worry that I might have gotten a steel one. Still wondering what that aluminum looking piece is since it doesn't look like an under guard.
I looked at both installation guides. It's the actual underguard... just shaped differently. The aluminum one fits over the stock underguard, where the steel one replaces it. The steel one comes with 4 side plates that go in place to help with the installation, lots of fasteners and things to get in place, where the aluminum one you remove the original plastic cover, insert some fasteners, and then put the original back and the aluminum one fits over that using the inserted fasteners.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I looked at both installation guides. It's the actual underguard... just shaped differently. The aluminum one fits over the stock underguard, where the steel one replaces it. The steel one comes with 4 side plates that go in place to help with the installation, lots of fasteners and things to get in place, where the aluminum one you remove the original plastic cover, insert some fasteners, and then put the original back and the aluminum one fits over that using the inserted fasteners.
Then I guess I'm confused. There is no aluminum-ish looking piece under my car that I can see. The under guard kind of looks exactly like the one posted by another member previously. Do you know if the steel and aluminum ones are interchangeable? The Subaru website doesn't offer you a choice.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Then I guess I'm confused. There is no aluminum-ish looking piece under my car that I can see. The under guard kind of looks exactly like the one posted by another member previously. Do you know if the steel and aluminum ones are interchangeable? The Subaru website doesn't offer you a choice.
looks like they could both be interchangeable, but it's hard to say (I'd want to see one done to be sure).

this one: E515SAN010 is for the 2.5L car, it replaces the plastic one that is there, and looks sort of like it.
This one: E515SAN000 is for the 2.4L turbo, it sits in place on top of the plastic cover that is there, and looks like an aftermarket skid plate.

Here is the page for the 2.4T (I hate subaru's unnecessary use of quotes):

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks like the steel under guard can be installed with a 2.4T engine. I just checked and it is definitely steel (used a magnet). I'm now hoping there won't be any issues with heat for the turbo engine until they can swap for the aluminum version.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Looks like the steel under guard can be installed with a 2.4T engine. I just checked and it is definitely steel (used a magnet). I'm now hoping there won't be any issues with heat for the turbo engine until they can swap for the aluminum version.
shouldn't be. The 2.4T has a metal under guard (bracket) and a plastic cover.... and you're installing another piece of metal (aluminum) over the top of both of those... and the 2.5l accessory steel one looks like it mimics the size and shape of the plastic one in the 2.4t that is left in place.

Here is what I can tell from the installation guides (never seen these in person, so well, there ya go).

The 2.5l you take off the plastic front under cover, and that is replaced by a steel under guard (swap it out).

Now, for the 2.4 turbo, there is the plastic under cover, and it is shaped differently than the 2.5l one (cutouts near the back). It also is attached to a metal bracket that is not installed in the 2.5 (listed as under cover-front guard). The aluminum engine guard is installed over the top of the existing front plastic cover and metal bracket (under cover-front guard). the plastic cover has to be removed to install some fasteners for the aluminum engine guard, but it gets put back in place.

The line drawings were pretty good in the installation guides, so I pasted this together to illustrate the differences in shape/appearance. Top two illustrations are the 2.5l installation, and the bottom two illustrations are the 2.4t installation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you. Dealer confirmed that the parts warehouse shipped them a steel under guard and they simply installed it even though aluminum was clearly written on the work order. They insisted that there should not be an issue from an operation standpoint - plenty of ventilation, etc. They are ordering the aluminum version. I guess I should let them know that they also have to replace the OE under-cover as it was replaced with the steel under guard and probably been recycled by now. Thanks again for your clear explanation.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
update on this - my dealer said this part should be coming on the last day of January and confirmed again there has been a nation wide back order - he also thought this was all pretty ridiculous for a new car offering a new part and then not having it until several months down the road.

yeah. my thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory (ON ORDER), Skid Plates etc
163 Posts
I wonder if the plastic is left on the 2.4T for sound deadening ....? otherwise I see ZERO reason to have a double layer.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My dealer talked me out of this accessory (they seemed really wary of the availability, turns out rightly), and now I'm feeling okay about my decision to wait on this.
I really wanted the aluminum pan, I think they look pretty sharp, even if they're not all that functional, on something like an Outback ;-]
I wish they'd gone with the same area as the steel one though, it's kind of cheesy to bolt an aluminum protector onto a plastic backing-plate/surround, IMHO. Weird decision here, design-wise, but I bet there will be a more full-coverage aftermarket option, maybe (this is what we had on the 2010 and 2013).

I'd be more apt to go with the steel one now though, between these two, assuming the 2.5/2.4 compatibility statement is more about cosmetics, seems like?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
69 Posts
I checked on my order for the aluminum under guard today and was told that new delivery date is 2/12 . . . or two months after the original delivery date.

I asked if I could get a refund and cancel the order and was told that we could work that out.

Not coincidentally today I was shopping the LP Aventure site and having email exchange about their aluminum engine under guard. Their skid plate is 3/16" thick, covers more area, weighs 27 lbs with hardware, and can add "rally washers" to protect the protruding bolt heads from getting sheared off by rocks. It is installed over the Subaru plastic engine splash guard: "Our skid plate will be covering the stock plastic vents (that we are not removing) ... our skid plate also have vents to meet the Subaru vent system."

It is more than twice the cost of the Subaru aluminum plate, though (LP Aventure - engine - skid plate - 2020 Outback), plus shipping and I'll have to install it. I'm going to sleep on it.

I'd like the protection, but so far am more worried about bashing the front lip again than I am about protection underneath. But if I do more trips like the that one I did in November, I may find skid plates worthwhile. (FYI, CVT skid plate from LP Aventure is 16 lbs, front lip protection/bumper guard is 35 lbs with full armor)

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT White
101 Posts
update on this - my dealer said this part should be coming on the last day of January and confirmed again there has been a nation wide back order - he also thought this was all pretty ridiculous for a new car offering a new part and then not having it until several months down the road.

yeah. my thoughts exactly.
In the same boat. Wonder if this thing makes oil changes a pain.

·
Registered
214 Posts
In the same boat. Wonder if this thing makes oil changes a pain.
IME, almost all of them do, to some degree.
This thing helps a LOT, even with just a basic plastic engine cow, a difficult filter placement, etc:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone had one before ?
I'm worried about noise of little rocks or hard debris getting stuck there and having a constant rattling noise of little rocks on the protective plate.
Is it just me ?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts