Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about the life of this battery in my wife's 2010 OB. What would you consider the life of them to be? We have almost 52K miles on the car, average run time/trip is probably 20 minutes.

Sounded like it was cranking slow this morning.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
3 to 5 years - depending on the climate zone that you live in.....just replaced mine on 2009 Honda Civic!

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Had to replace my '10 OB battery @ about 48 Months and 37k Miles. Just three weeks before we traded it in....

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
If you can do it use a CTEK or Deltran Battery Tender to extend battery life.
My M3 battery I replaced in 2004 and my E93 BMW 2007 is still fine and it was build in March of 2007.
For the small cost of the intelligent battery tender you can get significant life out of a battery.
Most car manufacturers hold to 48 months expected life...

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I replaced OEM battery on my 2005 Forester after 3 years (in 2008). I put in Optima Red Top and I will leave it in there until the car falls apart (my son drives it).

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
I replaced OEM battery on my 2005 Forester after 3 years (in 2008). I put in Optima Red Top and I will leave it in there until the car falls apart (my son drives it).
My son's battery on his 10 Impreza was weak when my dealer checked it during it's last oil change. I month before the 3/36 was up I got a free replacement! It looks like the replacement is a Subaru battery made by interstate or the dealer only uses Interstate for replacements I'm not sure, but it is a 84 month.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Interstate is a good way to go. I've used them for many years. As far as life expectancy.....There's a limit to all batteries, and it always pays to buy the top level, IMHO, and don't forget the maintenance. Keeping the battery itself as well as the terminals clean and keeping the terminals tight is important.
I've replaced batteries in cars we've bought, but I've never replaced an Interstate I've installed. Then there's the curious case of the OEM battery in our '02 Dodge Dakota, bought new. Lasted 8 years 8 months......I went back to the dealer and tried to get the same battery, but no could do. Replaced with Interstate.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
I still have the original Panasonic battery in my 2003 Outback, no leaks and the voltage is fine. 10 years and 124,000 miles. We'll see how long it lasts...

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
It really depends upon where you live. If you live in a very hot climate 3-5 years. if you live someplace more temperate 5-10 years. If you live in San Diego 7-10 years.

!0 years is pushing it on a battery no matter where you are.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I still have the original Panasonic battery in my 2003 Outback, no leaks and the voltage is fine. 10 years and 124,000 miles. We'll see how long it lasts...
I hope you knocked on wood...;)

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,433 Posts
slow cranking on a cold day is nothing to worry about. Quite normal. I would expect 3-5 years. Either way most neighborhood auto shops will test a batt for free and put some numbers to it.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies. I figured it was about time. We live in NC and in this case the car sat for a couple days, cold morning and it cranked slow. This morning it sounded okay, but it's getting close to replacement time. I may look into an Optima or similar battery since we plan to drive the wheels off this car.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Ltd. BBP w/SAP
41 Posts
When I bought my new 2010 Outback the battery apparently was defective and lasted six weeks. The replacement was working great when I traded it in.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I figured it was about time. We live in NC and in this case the car sat for a couple days, cold morning and it cranked slow. This morning it sounded okay, but it's getting close to replacement time. I may look into an Optima or similar battery since we plan to drive the wheels off this car.
Agree - if you plan to keep the car "forever" go for Optima! It's a bit expensive (appx $ 150 on Amazon - free shipping)) but well worth it! You will have to modify the battery holder a bit but it's not a major thing.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Well the original Panasonic battery in the '06 Forester died today, jumped it, drove it around, parked it, started right up a couple hours later, drove around, parked it again and its dead again. Time for a Optima Yellowtop. Lasted 7 years, thats pretty good in my opinion.

The battery in the Outback is still going strong though, better than the Forester's ever did. 10 years so far on its the same original Panasonic.

·
Registered
4 Outback wagons, from 1997 to 1999
26 Posts
Generally my batteries always last very well. I kept the original in my 1998 Outback for 12 years with no problem even on the coldest days, without using the block heater. That battery is now still in use in my old gas tractor.
My policy is, to never run a battery down. And, after a cold start I always give the alternator a chance to recharge the battery before turning on the "extras" like seat heaters. Something simple when stopped at a light... slipping it into neutral and using the e-brake to turn off the brake lights, (where safe), can keep the battery topped even when poking around town.
It works for me.

Norm

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,088 Posts
The batteries on US-manufactured models are made by Johnson Controls. I've seen them more than once start leaking around the positive terminal post. At that point, in my view, it's easier to replace than to keep cleaning the mess.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
841 Posts
It'll hang in there until you hit a pothole and it breaks mechanically inside. The bad thing about that is there will be no warning, like you'd get from slow cranking. One minute it's fine and the next it is dead as a door knob.

I had a seven or eight year old battery that died that way enroute to a picnic in a national park. The ranger gave me a jump to get me home, but so much for the picnic because I couldn't shut off the vehicle again. Now I replace every battery at five years, no matter what.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
DEKA Batteries are great, it has other names also, for one is

Big Crank, and there's other's.

East Penn Mfg. in Pa.

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,088 Posts
DEKA Batteries are great, it has other names also, for one is

Big Crank, and there's other's.

East Penn Mfg. in Pa.
In many places, DEKA batteries are the easiest to obtain under CarQuest brand. Cheaper, too, than JCI and Exide carried by the big chains. I put one in the Tribeca.
Also, I second Radar's remark that older batteries can just cease to function without any warning signs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts