Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello..

I've decided to to a complete overhaul of my sound system on my '13 premium. The stock 6 speaker unit is just terrible and I think I've found it in the budget to to a correct upgrade.

I'm going double din GPS, a Pioneer AVIC-X94obt

Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-X940BT In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 6.1" WVGA Touchscreen and Built-In Bluetooth: Car Electronics

And Polk 6.5" speakers....along with the 8" Sound Ordinance powered flat Sub that goes under the drivers seat.

I was just about to pull the trigger on this and order, and one thing kept me from going forward. I am using the Subaru specific mounting kit from Crutchfield, and noticed the way the unit sits in the dash it has an angled recess. The pioneer unit I picked has a knob on the side...and that recess might impede access to the knob.

I know all this is very specific, but if anybody has done an upgrade on their outback, and used the mounting kit if you could maybe post a pic, or let me know if it's deep enough to cause a problem for the knob. Otherwise, I will have to go with the more expensive unit, with the buttons on the bottom panel..and no knobs like so...

·
Registered
4,439 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!..I actually had that guide bookmarked. And I am doing almost exactly what he is doing...minus the rear camera and amp. He's using a different type of radio than me though....so I'm still not sure about the knob. I may have to just try it out and see if it works...if not...Amazon has a good return policy...

·
Registered
921 Posts
My thread might help. Sorry, I've got a newborn in my arms right now otherwise I could help more. Search around the electronics subforum for more info on aftermarket stereos.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/69-audio-video-security-navigation/45740-pioneer-appradio-2-installed-2012-outback.html

I also have a thread about an under seat subwoofer. Let your fingers do the walking...

There is another dash kit out there that angles the head unit flush with the dash.

These are somewhat interesting. I think somebody on legacygt has a review.
http://www.autodvdgps.com/model_selection_results.html?car_brand=32&car_model=312&car_year=0

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Hey rock...i missed that one. Looks great.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hello..

I've decided to to a complete overhaul of my sound system on my '13 premium. The stock 6 speaker unit is just terrible and I think I've found it in the budget to to a correct upgrade.

I'm going double din GPS, a Pioneer AVIC-X94obt

Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-X940BT In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 6.1" WVGA Touchscreen and Built-In Bluetooth: Car Electronics

And Polk 6.5" speakers....along with the 8" Sound Ordinance powered flat Sub that goes under the drivers seat.

I was just about to pull the trigger on this and order, and one thing kept me from going forward. I am using the Subaru specific mounting kit from Crutchfield, and noticed the way the unit sits in the dash it has an angled recess. The pioneer unit I picked has a knob on the side...and that recess might impede access to the knob.

I know all this is very specific, but if anybody has done an upgrade on their outback, and used the mounting kit if you could maybe post a pic, or let me know if it's deep enough to cause a problem for the knob. Otherwise, I will have to go with the more expensive unit, with the buttons on the bottom panel..and no knobs like so...

Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH 2DIN 7" Touchscreen In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver: Electronics
As noted by another member, my guide should have most all the steps laid out for you as well as explanation of any pitfalls I encountered.

I doubt you're going to find a dash mounting kit that doesn't have the stereo recessed slightly. If it wasn't, you'd have the top of the stereo jutting out, which is even worse IMO. Most of the head units (especially the double DIN varieties) have the ability to angle the front display.

I don't know how big a deal accessing the knob would be but I don't see it being a deal breaker for myself. Get the knobbed version (if that's what you want) and worst case scenario you end up spinning it from the right side. /shrug

I'd recommend getting the wiring harness from svxdc for convenience's sake. I got mine online and ended up having to put more work into it to get the same functionality.

Removing the stereo is seriously a 2 minute affair if you know what you're doing. If you have the flip up cubby door, just pull on it. Don't worry about breaking it - it has some strong hinges. It's also much easier than trying to pry it out from the sides and potentially marring the fascia. If that space is filled with other controls, you'll have to go in from the bottom and PUSH out from behind. Doors and seating take more time but it's not terrible. Ask if you have any questions.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
my wife had an avic in her last impreza, its still sitting in the garage waiting to go into her new impreza. good stereo, i wish i would've gotten that instead of my kenwood.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As noted by another member, my guide should have most all the steps laid out for you as well as explanation of any pitfalls I encountered.

I doubt you're going to find a dash mounting kit that doesn't have the stereo recessed slightly. If it wasn't, you'd have the top of the stereo jutting out, which is even worse IMO. Most of the head units (especially the double DIN varieties) have the ability to angle the front display.

I don't know how big a deal accessing the knob would be but I don't see it being a deal breaker for myself. Get the knobbed version (if that's what you want) and worst case scenario you end up spinning it from the right side. /shrug

I'd recommend getting the wiring harness from svxdc for convenience's sake. I got mine online and ended up having to put more work into it to get the same functionality.

Removing the stereo is seriously a 2 minute affair if you know what you're doing. If you have the flip up cubby door, just pull on it. Don't worry about breaking it - it has some strong hinges. It's also much easier than trying to pry it out from the sides and potentially marring the fascia. If that space is filled with other controls, you'll have to go in from the bottom and PUSH out from behind. Doors and seating take more time but it's not terrible. Ask if you have any questions.
Thanks for that....I had actually studied your write up on your install before I put this thread up. Thanks for taking the time to document that for the rest of us!! I ordered my speakers, sub, and dynamat today...and ordered the 20 pin from SVXdc. For now...I'm putting the HU on hold until I figure out what I want to do. I think I'm going to lean away from a knob...and go with a larger screen. I need to go to best buy or some where with a good selection of HU's and play with them to see what I want. There is a more flush mounted adaptor plate I found from Metra...but it apparently requires some sawing under the dash which I would rather avoid. My concern about the knob is about 25% functionality and 75% appearance. I would like this entire thing to look as stock as possible. Thanks for the advice....and I 'm sure I will be referencing your post many times!

Also...just out of curiosity...I noticed on your post a link to replace control arms/tie rods. At what mileage did you have to do this? I was hoping to get at least 100k before I started having to do any suspension work..

·
Registered
347 Posts
Also...just out of curiosity...I noticed on your post a link to replace control arms/tie rods. At what mileage did you have to do this? I was hoping to get at least 100k before I started having to do any suspension work..
My own stupidity. I was pulling a u-turn at a neighborhood intersection and clipped a curb corner. It bent both the outer tie rod and the control arm. Luckily it's all "fairly" easy to replace. I even replaced two wheel studs last week (also because of my stupidity).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Now I'm interested in the head unit rockthebeef suggested. The Qualir one. I couldn't find anything on legacygt. I'm temped to call them to see if the unit uses the media hub and phone steering wheel buttons.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now I'm interested in the head unit rockthebeef suggested. The Qualir one. I couldn't find anything on legacygt. I'm temped to call them to see if the unit uses the media hub and phone steering wheel buttons.

Any thoughts?
Yes...I was studying that also. It looks like it comes out of Europe...I'm assuming it's set up for American radio...there is a tab to set your GPS region. I wish it gave more specs as to how many amps, etc...but I love the stock look of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It actually comes from China. It's on the "About Us" page. I emailed them regarding the use of the media hub and steering wheel phone buttons and here is their response:

Thanks for your email.
I'd like to tell you that if your original has bluetooth function, after installing our item, it can not be used any more.

There is a MIC port at the backside of this player, you can connect an external microphone on it.

There is no can-bus on this player, if your original car doesn't have it either, the steering wheel control function can be used.

We can not sure that after installing our item, your original hub is still available, we have met this issues, some customers' car can still be used, while some can not.
If your original can not be used, you can use ours, our player can support Ipod function.

Have a nice day!
Sincerely
Golden

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow. Well...Something tells me to stay away from that. I was looking through their website also, and all the reviews of their products are mysteriously good, and basically all say the same thing in some form of poor broken English. Oh well...it looks good, and it may function okay...but they need to work on their marketing and communication. I can only imagine what I would go through if I needed tech support or warranty repairs, etc...

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've got a pretty good solution that I have been happy with I thought I should share.

I used rock's and thai's instructions and installed a avh-p8400bh from Pioneer in my 2.5 Limited with the stock non-nav HK system.

I have steering wheel controls as well. The headunit screen is motorized and tilts to fit very nicely in the dash, it doesn't look sunken. It has all the capabilities of AppRadio 2, but also has Satellite Radio, CD/DVD Player, video in/out, you can even run Netflix through the player. It's really a crazy-good head unit, and with the tilting screen and matching silver installation mount its a good set-up I think.

I ran the thick pioneer iphone cord through the dash, then up to a pro-clip-usa Iphone 4s holder with built-in pass through dock connector.

Surprise coolness factor? You can change the color of the buttons, I have them set to the matching red color. Also, one of the wallpapers included (you can add any image you want) is a fading brushed aluminum look that almost exactly matches the dash.

Seriously, I get compliments every time someone is in the car.

I am here to answer questions if anyone has them, also, I bought the headunit and all the materials I needed from Amazon, dash kit and wiring from Crutchfield.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I've got a pretty good solution that I have been happy with I thought I should share.

I used rock's and thai's instructions and installed a avh-p8400bh from Pioneer in my 2.5 Limited with the stock non-nav HK system.

I have steering wheel controls as well. The headunit screen is motorized and tilts to fit very nicely in the dash, it doesn't look sunken. It has all the capabilities of AppRadio 2, but also has Satellite Radio, CD/DVD Player, video in/out, you can even run Netflix through the player. It's really a crazy-good head unit, and with the tilting screen and matching silver installation mount its a good set-up I think.

I ran the thick pioneer iphone cord through the dash, then up to a pro-clip-usa Iphone 4s holder with built-in pass through dock connector.

Surprise coolness factor? You can change the color of the buttons, I have them set to the matching red color. Also, one of the wallpapers included (you can add any image you want) is a fading brushed aluminum look that almost exactly matches the dash.

Seriously, I get compliments every time someone is in the car.

I am here to answer questions if anyone has them, also, I bought the headunit and all the materials I needed from Amazon, dash kit and wiring from Crutchfield.
Wow, that's a nice head unit! I was fixated on the AppRadio, but that looks so much more versatile! I like the screen tilt and the better audio adjustability. If Pioneer finds out a solution to use with the iPhone 5, I may consider switching to that head unit. Otherwise, I'm going to see what 2013 brings into the car audio world. Manufacturers must be working on the new lightning connector by now...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Wow, that's a nice head unit! I was fixated on the AppRadio, but that looks so much more versatile! I like the screen tilt and the better audio adjustability. If Pioneer finds out a solution to use with the iPhone 5, I may consider switching to that head unit. Otherwise, I'm going to see what 2013 brings into the car audio world. Manufacturers must be working on the new lightning connector by now...

I love the unit, it really fits and works nicely. Pioneer also uses better fonts and icon layouts than Eclipse, Kenwood, and the others for a less "aftermarket" look, which I like.

My understanding is that the Lightning Connector doesn't transmit video, as the old 30-Pin Dock Connector does. Manufacturers will have to bring in "AirPlay" capabilities to do the same thing, which shouldn't be too hard to do, and shouldn't be too far away. I would expect a software update to be able to pull in video via bluetooth, but it might require a wi-fi or wi-fi type connection to transmit video.

·
Registered
573 Posts
ninjaturtle2.5, pics would be great!

i have a HK non-nav unit that i was thinking about replacing.

i am hoping to recycle the speakers and amp.

joel

Hey Joel,

I will try to get some pictures up on the forum later today. If you want to recycle the Speakers and Amp, besure to use the wiring harness with RCAs for FL/FR/RL/RR! You will also have to insert a jump wire to the remote of the amp to get it to turn on, VERY easy to do, and a number of members have posted instructions. I got my wiring harness from Crutchfield, but I used a spare wire to do the amp/remote.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
13 Participants
AlexJet
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing