Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Outback Limited, 2013 2.5 Legacy Premium
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, you may or may not recall that I went overseas to work for a year starting in August. I'll be returning home end of June (not quite a year).

My OB has been sitting in a Utah driveway, open but with a Subaru car cover. I had a nearly full tank of gas, freshly changed full synth oil, and washed/waxed/vaccuumed in and out.

I think my girlfriend's dad has driven it two or three times, or at least started it up and had removed the battery during most of the storage time. He told me that it started up perfectly not that long ago, so I'm not worried, but my question is this:

I know modern cars are well-built, especially our Subarus. Engines and parts like to stay lubed and moving. Gaskets probably the same. So anyone think I should worry about anything being bad or wrong when I get home and drive my baby again? The OB is sitting at about 28k miles now and I was gonna take it for the 30k service when I got home, put new tires on (the stock Contis are nearly bald) and change the oil again and then about a week after I get home, take it on a 3k mile road trip up into Banff NP.

Obviously I've got warranty time left for about 8k miles and/or 6 months left of the 3 years, so if something goes wrong, I just don't claim that the car was sitting for 11 months to the dealer, but is there anything I should "suggest" is looked at when I get home?

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6spdMT
71 Posts
I'd think that giving it a seafoam treatment wouldnt be a bad idea. Or at least do the 1/3 a can in the tank and 1/3 a can in the crank part, maybe not the 1/3 can to the heads.

And if you do that I'd go ahead and do an oil change pretty soon after the seafoam.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
My only concern would have been flat spots on the tires but you got that covered by replacing them. When your girlfriend's dad starts it next time have him run the AC for a few minutes to keep those parts lubricated.

I think Seafoam may be overkill because it has so few miles on it.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
You really should not have any trouble. If you notice some hesitation or funny running, adding Techron to the tank should clear it up. Running the existing tank to empty on the road, before filling up, should clear it all up.

I would not add anything to the oil. Gas deteriorates over time......Oil, the only thing that is effected by sitting is TBN, which neutralizes acid in the crankcase. Acid is formed by water in the oil. Short runs leave more water in the oil. If FIL was not driving the car until it was well up to temperature, you might consider a shortened oil change interval.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
My only concern would have been flat spots on the tires but you got that covered by replacing them. When your girlfriend's dad starts it next time have him run the AC for a few minutes to keep those parts lubricated.

I think Seafoam may be overkill because it has so few miles on it.
I wouldn't be worried about flat spots on the tires, either... radials generally don't develop flat spots. Old bias-ply tires would get flat spots just overnight, radials not so much. Even if they did develop flat spots, they would even out pretty quick.

Overall I really would not be too worried about the car having sat for a year. My main concern would have been the battery but it sounds like you got that taken care of. Fuel would have been a minor concern but with a full tank I doubt it would have turned to varnish in just a year.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
842 Posts
Did you put any fuel stabilizer like Sta-bul in the gas before you left? If not, I would be concerned about having year old gas in the tank. If it starts, fine, but you may want to take it for a line long drive to burn up that gas and get some fresh stuff in the tank.

If you have trouble getting it to start, then I would look at getting the gas tank and fuel system drained and then refilled with fresh.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Did you put any fuel stabilizer like Sta-bul in the gas before you left? If not, I would be concerned about having year old gas in the tank. If it starts, fine, but you may want to take it for a line long drive to burn up that gas and get some fresh stuff in the tank.

If you have trouble getting it to start, then I would look at getting the gas tank and fuel system drained and then refilled with fresh.
I would be concerned about that as well, though the only reason why I say I wouldn't be worried is my Grand Prix sat for over a year with a quarter tank of premium in it, never being run or driven. Started right up once we swapped engines. No fueling issues at all. Of course, user results can always vary.

·
Registered
165 Posts

This would be my concern as well. Shelf life of E-10 gas is around 3 months. Even with Sta-bil, I'm not sure on a year. The joys of ethanol = water in the tank with extended storage + corrosion of the fuel tank and crud in the fuel filters... I don't know that phase changed ethanol/gasoline blends can be remixed (all I hear is that the tank needs to be drained).

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Swapped engines??? Not due to the storage right? I don't think he wants to hear he'll be fine once he swaps out his engine. :)
Car was broken when I bought it, ended up being nothing wrong with the engine. Long story. Visit my project thread on this site, I don't want to hijack the OP's thread :p

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,625 Posts
you might inspect ir for rodent damage too.

I'd guess just driving it while monitoring for issues, and accelerated fluid changes, would'nt be a bad way to go.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
So, you may or may not recall that I went overseas to work for a year starting in August. I'll be returning home end of June (not quite a year).

My OB has been sitting in a Utah driveway, open but with a Subaru car cover. I had a nearly full tank of gas, freshly changed full synth oil, and washed/waxed/vaccuumed in and out.

I think my girlfriend's dad has driven it two or three times, or at least started it up and had removed the battery during most of the storage time. He told me that it started up perfectly not that long ago, so I'm not worried, but my question is this:

I know modern cars are well-built, especially our Subarus. Engines and parts like to stay lubed and moving. Gaskets probably the same. So anyone think I should worry about anything being bad or wrong when I get home and drive my baby again? The OB is sitting at about 28k miles now and I was gonna take it for the 30k service when I got home, put new tires on (the stock Contis are nearly bald) and change the oil again and then about a week after I get home, take it on a 3k mile road trip up into Banff NP.

Obviously I've got warranty time left for about 8k miles and/or 6 months left of the 3 years, so if something goes wrong, I just don't claim that the car was sitting for 11 months to the dealer, but is there anything I should "suggest" is looked at when I get home?
Nope battery might be a little flat unless it was put on a charger. My 01 sat parked for 4 months three times same battery never bothered to pull the battery but our winters are mild here. Ran the car about once a month zero issues had the car another 5yrs after that no problems except the battery was a little weak and probably had a shorter than normal life.

·
Registered
00 Outback Wagon...269K 09 Legacy 2.5 Sedan...93k
202 Posts
Start it and drive...
"Paranoia will destroy ya..."lol!

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Outback Limited, 2013 2.5 Legacy Premium
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL, I know I won't have to replace the engine :) I figured that the Pontiac was a project car.

I didn't use any Sta-bil in the tank. I had actually left the car with about a quarter tank of gas but when my GF's dad drove it out to the airport (an hour, tops, round trip) I guess he refilled it "since it was low". He does know about cars and he is a claims adjuster for insurance on all kinds of 18 wheelers and whatnot, so I'll trust his judgement on most anything, but I had to come here since you guys all have more experience with the nitty-gritty of Subarus.

I'll mention the AC being turned on next time we Skype. As far as I know, rodents shouldn't be a problem in his neighborhood, no large fields or undeveloped areas nearby, though I know the pesky things can be anywhere. I'll keep an eye on everything and hope for the best with the remaining time on my warranty!

Now the clock is ticking: what's gonna come first? 36k miles or December 31? :)

Thanks everyone for the help so far!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts