Subaru Outback Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Strange question perhaps, but in light of whats happening, the thought occurred to me about storing some extra fuel for the Outback. What is the best way to do this and how long does gas really "keep" when stored. I only ask this because the weed wacker I used to have talked about gas not keeping for longer than a month or so.
What container do you guys recommend and how long do I expect it to still be good?

wasnt quite sure where to post this, so sorry if this is the wrong place.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
254 Posts
Storing quantities of gasoline is dangerous and depending on quantity, you might be violating local laws and/or your home insurance provisions. You could also be creating a danger for fire fighters. Having one or two small containers for yard equipment is one thing, but enough for a vehicle to do any distance is another.

One of the reasons I bought a diesel pickup, besides range for towing, was that if I wanted to keep 5 or 10 gallons extra in the bed during a trip it would be safer.

As to storage there are stabilizer additives. I don't know how long they last, but I wouldn't go more than 6 months.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Storing quantities of gasoline is dangerous and depending on quantity, you might be violating local laws and/or your home insurance provisions. You could also be creating a danger for fire fighters. Having one or two small containers for yard equipment is one thing, but enough for a vehicle to do any distance is another.

One of the reasons I bought a diesel pickup, besides range for towing, was that if I wanted to keep 5 or 10 gallons extra in the bed during a trip it would be safer.

As to storage there are stabilizer additives. I don't know how long they last, but I wouldn't go more than 6 months.
Thanks for the reply!
I guess I was thinking of a few 5-10 gallon containers. Some searching prompted by your comment came up with this this:

"The maximum amount of gasoline legally allowed in Pasadena is 30 gallons. Any amount over 10 gallons should be stored in a flammable liquids cabinet."

Looks like such cabinets are $300 and up. (I assume these are for firefighters to recognize).

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,023 Posts
Every year I store 5gallons x 2 of pump gas for hurricane season, June through November. I add Stabil fuel storage additive per the instruction. At the end of the season, I just pour the stored gas into the car(s) and have never noticed any problems.

I may fill the gas cans early this year, catching when the price bottoms out soon.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I’ve used Pri-G for years. I’ll do the same thing, rotate it back in use within a year... longer term storage you need to (ideally) get fuel without alcohol in it and add the Pri-G periodically. It’s possible to prevent phase separation in the fuels with alcohol in them for a while... so if you have airtight containers, not much of an air gap, and the PriG... maybe 2 years. I haven’t gone beyond that yet.... I end up using it.

If you will use it up within a year or so, any fuel stabilizer would do.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,810 Posts
FWIW, I've never had problems using gas stored after months. And there will be more than you can ever use and cheap. Waste of effort and money.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW, I've never had problems using gas stored after months. And there will be more than you can ever use and cheap. Waste of effort and money.
You are probably right - some people worry about water (as expressed at every Costco in the last month every day and someone even mentioned potential coming water shortages here - I dont worry about the water myself at all, but my memory as a small child during the 70s - the gas shortages that occured (and having little understanding of it) left a little mark in me.
Just thinking ahead as we enter into this unknown territory. I hardly think having a couple small cans of gas on hand is a waste of money, I can think of other random times I had wished I had some gas on hand.

Be safe out there everyone. My wife is is a physician on the front lines of this here in California, treating the elderly. There isnt enough medical equipment, and there arent enough tests and its been a cluster at nearly every medical center she talks to because of this.... and now that there are a few test kits finally arriving here and there, policies are going into place here in LA county to not test anyone unless they have been speficially exposed and show symptoms because there are so few. Most people get turned away for the tests. Some get them. One of her patients already may have the virus, and exposed one of her staff, but he literally cant get a test and has been told to just isolate, diagnosed with pneumonia officially, which also means her worker has to isolate instead of treating more high needs elderly people, just to be safe. So, just becasue the president, sports teams, actors, etc etc are getting tests, doesnt mean they are available to everyone. Medical centers are seriously overwhelmed. Your best bet is to NOT get this.

For those of you into the science of it all, this is a good and interesting article on how it gets complicated in the body.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,023 Posts
I could have included this in my first reply.

There is a gas SURPLUS caused by Saudi Arabia over-producing oil. There is so much, the Federal govt is buying millions of barrels to put into the national reserve and help hold oil prices up. There is zero concerns of a gas shortage or disruption in the supply chain. Please do not contribute to rumors to lead to another unjustified panic.

If I fill some gas cans soon it is only because I am cheap and it will save me a few bucks over buying it later.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
OT, but why are people buying water? Indoor plumbing is so common these days.

And TP? This isn't dysentery.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
254 Posts
I dont worry about the water myself at all, but my memory as a small child during the 70s - the gas shortages that occured (and having little understanding of it) left a little mark in me.
Just thinking ahead as we enter into this unknown territory.
The gas shortages were caused by price controls. They wanted to keep gas at 30 cents a gallon. :rolleyes:

My dad was horrible during that period. We had a F-250 pickup with dual tanks and he somehow managed to get his hands on a large tank probably designed for heating oil. I'm not sure how full he ever got it. The only good thing is it was a long way away from the house, like probably 100 feet.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
+1, I see no reason to store gas....especially if you live in a state locked down....where you going to go?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
254 Posts
Actually the supply is high, but not that high. They've really managed it pretty well with price decreases. These are west coast figures.

That's not to say I disagree that there's no reason to store gas. I think it's pointless unless maybe you have a gas generator you might need for reasons other than Covid-19.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please do not contribute to rumors to lead to another unjustified panic.
"another unjustified panic"?

What was the first one?

I guess I know better than to casually talk about anything outside of cars with people here - I learned that from previous years here. I didnt say I think there will be a shortage necessarily, dont blame me for someone elses panic. I AM thinking ahead of just some random possibilities for my own family....and we may want to travel (by car) to extended family (who are all pretty far up north)...if some gas stations shut down individually for whatever reason and there are less places to get it, meaning other places will be busier, and perhaps just not wanting to interact close to random people so much on a trip like that so lessening the need to stop. Im just thinking ahead of possibilities. Please don't accuse me of starting rumors. For me it was more about staying away from people. The wife is a doctor and she gets exposed to a lot of elderly people that need help.

Regarding "lockdown", nothing is stopping us in California from driving to other towns. My friends just drove up to the bay area to see family today. Heck, my business in post production is still operating because clients and producers want their tv shows edited and mixed still, and the companies are doing what they can to justify it under the essential "media" exemption in California. Some workers want to keep working and the companies certainly still want the income. Whose gonna stop everyone in such a populated place? I was on the highway here in So Cal yesterday, and the slowed traffic is gone, but the highways are pretty full of cars just under that point. The freeway a mile away sounds just as loud today as ever.
"lockdown" is a relative term. lol Hard to stop the 5th largest economy in the world from continuing to operate.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
$1.65 at Sam's by me. That $0.24 in 1970 dollars.

·
Registered
R.I.P. 2009 OB 2.5i 5MT
48 Posts

Because people are stupid. There's no other way to say it that is as accurate.
^^^^^This!!!^^^^^

It's as if people are more concerned with running out of TP than they are of catching or passing on the virus. These same people are still going out to barbers and nail salons. Idiots!!!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Am I OT? What is OT? I only know OP. lol
I have no idea why people are hoarding water right now, but we have a supply as everyone around here should due to earthquake risk.
Water utilities will be one of the last things to shut down in this scenario in my opinion.

And Toilet Paper - I couldn't tell you. We have our normal 1 Costco bunch we always buy. We dont have any extras.
I feel bad for the elderly though, there are many who don't stock up like everyone is doing, and now they cant find much when they need it.
Many of them arent as mobile as us and while pretty independent, cant just check the stores every day.

Maybe someone needs to ask this couple why they are hoarding TP lol :rolleyes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/fm8pmx

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.