Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It's 3 weeks before Christmas and I am setting trying to figure what am i going to do at that time,
checked airlines tickets and they are **** high,
heard a small voice inside my head telling me (even if you fly there, you will get stuck with the boring rental car) ,
looked at the car keys and said you are coming with me ,
coming somewhere i don't where but i am not leaving you alone :laugh: ,
new car , Google maps , what is Christmas without snow :crying:,
We are going north, the same small voice inside my head telling says (what if it does not snow at that time , me: **** it, i will keep driving)

let's get you ready ,

air deflectors (from the new lovely dealer), new battery (Bosch Platinum Series AGM) , want new shoes ? okay i have been waiting for an excuse :dance2: (Michelin Premier LTX), chains (Trying 4pc Car Anti-skid Snow Chains), Lifeline AAA Road Kit, Snow Brush, Tow Strap, oil and filter service + my free alignment, Husky Liners floor mats, Washed and waxed.

Off we go ,
Relax,
Not in a hurry,
Follow speed limits
Coffee + cigarettes (not in the car)0:) + music

-----

1 - Tires ( ltx is a great tire for cold,hot and rainy days but not snow ) driving at speeds more than 35 MPH in snow is dangerous inside the city , put that a side the tire road noise is much better than stock tire, breaking and accelerating are great corning is okay :| . btw i never used the chains.

2 - Battery is great ( i drove to places with the temperature of 3F and never had a problem starting the car )

3 - Car suffers from a bad cross wind and needs lots of small input to drive it in a straight line even with wind speeds as low as 3 MPH. (tire temps are correct + new alignment and balancing)

4 - Auto dimming mirrors are a joke , they have mind of their own. they only work in the city , but does not work at all on highways even if i have someone blasting their light bar on me even if i have all the windows down

5 - Seating comfort and foot rest are bad for a long tips , i am jealous of the new Ascent ( i never been inside the car but they look bigger and better ).

6 - I wish the car came with semi auto pilot like Volvo's, Cadillac.

7 - Great AWD system that never failed me with all season tires (i was gonna get Michelin X-Ice Xi3) , only complain that it doesn't like donuts :wink2:.

8 - Gas ( I was getting about 25 MPG driving with cruse control 70 to 75 MPH most of the highway).

9 - Road noise is good for the size and shape of the car.

10 - Screw the RAB. :grin2:

----------------

* If you ask me would you do it again , i will but in the Ascent :wink2:

* Dealer play a good role in customers satisfaction no matter what car you buy even if you have problems with. BTW both dealers are in the same city and in a great neighborhoods . I can mention the dealers names if the forum moderates approve that.

Old dealer came from **** , I won't step a foot in there ever even if they have good prices/offers. in multiple occasion they take things personally, not just one but all the ones i dealt with. i checked reviews online and found out that people complain too, they even named them one by one. Unacceptable vibe

New dealer is about 25 miles away from me and i don't mind at all. Treating you with respect, politeness and patience and explaining everything. They admit human errors which is the first step in any solution. That company has couple of other brands too that i happened to love too. My next car is defiantly from them. Welcoming vibe

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Following up with number 3 feedback :
Installing wrx sti sway bars was recommended to me by a friend . Anyone tried it , how stiff is ride going to be and is it going to void the warranty

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R + 2017 Outback 3.6R. Ice Silver & Ice Silver. Like the cold?
333 Posts
Following up with number 3 feedback :
Installing wrx sti sway bars was recommended to me by a friend . Anyone tried it , how stiff is ride going to be and is it going to void the warranty
I'd suggest the 19mm but there are also bushing mods now by traildogck that you could try first. I did not put a new RSB on my Outback, but the 2017 suspension is a little different and rougher. The 19mm made the Legacy rougher with stock tires, but with new ones it's all good.
I put in new endlinks too, just in case as I have some mean and quick turns on the way to work. Not sure I'd bother for an SUV type. A bigger RSB on either also makes fishtailing (oversteer) more likey. I use performance winter tires and try to be careful so have not noticed yet.

Bar changes won't void anything warranty unless they can prove it caused a related issue. But the rest of the car would not be affected, warranty wise.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Limited w/ option package 34
451 Posts
Re 2, the battery will do a lot better than that. Both my wife's Outback (2017) and mine (2016) start reliably in -15F and worse. What you may experience difficulties with, down the line, is capacity. The standard battery on Outbacks has been woefully underpowered for the last few production years. I had mine replaced, but even the old one didn't strand me in extreme cold. Seriously low temperatures don't faze Subarus.

Re 3, I marvel at how straight my OB drives. The Eyesight system frequently reminds me to keep my hands on the steering wheel even when they are. The car goes so perfectly that it needs very little steering input on long straight stretches. Even when it's windy, the Outbacks seem quite a bit stabler to us than previous SUV's / wagons we've owned, including a RAV4, an Isuzu Trooper, and a Ford Escape. Note: On the recommendation of many on this forum, I did have the rear sway bar upgraded to a 20mm version when I bought the car.

Re 4, sorry to hear, I have no issues with my auto-dimming mirrors.

Re 5, personal preference. Sorry for the repetition --> I have no issues. I find the OB to be very comfortable. Just drove 2,000 miles in eight days. No complaints.

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
176 Posts
Re 4: First, make sure the auto-dimming function is turned on (green light is on). Second, there is only one light sensor that is responsible for dimming all mirrors (interior, and, if equipped, exterior). There is no sensor on the outside mirrors and having windows down will have absolutely no effect (unless you modified your hatch and can roll the hatch window down). Make sure that the path between the headlights of the car following you and your rearview mirror is clear, and your mirrors should dim fine (the only time my mirrors won't dim is if the car is loaded up to the roof, or if the hatch window is completely covered in salt thus preventing any light from the car behind me to reach the mirror sensor).

·
Registered
2015 Suburu Outback Limited
35 Posts
Yeah the mirror dimming is only a problem if someone tall is in the back seat center or if the back seat center headrest is too high to begin with.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
333 Posts
#4 autodimming works, but isn't the strongest I've seen. some one coming up on the sides will still be pretty bright.

#3 my 2018 tracks well, but the steering is lighter than my previous car and not as center-weighted, so it took a bit to get used to. Even slight imbalance will cause drift.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re 4: First, make sure the auto-dimming function is turned on (green light is on). Second, there is only one light sensor that is responsible for dimming all mirrors (interior, and, if equipped, exterior). There is no sensor on the outside mirrors and having windows down will have absolutely no effect (unless you modified your hatch and can roll the hatch window down). Make sure that the path between the headlights of the car following you and your rearview mirror is clear, and your mirrors should dim fine (the only time my mirrors won't dim is if the car is loaded up to the roof, or if the hatch window is completely covered in salt thus preventing any light from the car behind me to reach the mirror sensor).

#4 autodimming works, but isn't the strongest I've seen. some one coming up on the sides will still be pretty bright.

#3 my 2018 tracks well, but the steering is lighter than my previous car and not as center-weighted, so it took a bit to get used to. Even slight imbalance will cause drift.

I'd suggest the 19mm but there are also bushing mods now by traildogck that you could try first. I did not put a new RSB on my Outback, but the 2017 suspension is a little different and rougher. The 19mm made the Legacy rougher with stock tires, but with new ones it's all good.
I put in new endlinks too, just in case as I have some mean and quick turns on the way to work. Not sure I'd bother for an SUV type. A bigger RSB on either also makes fishtailing (oversteer) more likey. I use performance winter tires and try to be careful so have not noticed yet.

Bar changes won't void anything warranty unless they can prove it caused a related issue. But the rest of the car would not be affected, warranty wise.

Re 2, the battery will do a lot better than that. Both my wife's Outback (2017) and mine (2016) start reliably in -15F and worse. What you may experience difficulties with, down the line, is capacity. The standard battery on Outbacks has been woefully underpowered for the last few production years. I had mine replaced, but even the old one didn't strand me in extreme cold. Seriously low temperatures don't faze Subarus.

Re 3, I marvel at how straight my OB drives. The Eyesight system frequently reminds me to keep my hands on the steering wheel even when they are. The car goes so perfectly that it needs very little steering input on long straight stretches. Even when it's windy, the Outbacks seem quite a bit stabler to us than previous SUV's / wagons we've owned, including a RAV4, an Isuzu Trooper, and a Ford Escape. Note: On the recommendation of many on this forum, I did have the rear sway bar upgraded to a 20mm version when I bought the car.

Re 4, sorry to hear, I have no issues with my auto-dimming mirrors.

Re 5, personal preference. Sorry for the repetition --> I have no issues. I find the OB to be very comfortable. Just drove 2,000 miles in eight days. No complaints.

Yeah the mirror dimming is only a problem if someone tall is in the back seat center or if the back seat center headrest is too high to begin with.

Thank you all ,
regarding the battery it was fine in the first couple of months in normal weather 40 to 50 , then it started struggling to start up when it got cold and did not want to risk it to travel with .

Eyesight works fine regarding LKA and I started to think that it’s not something mechanically or an eyesight issue. It could be something related to the Aerodynamic of the car .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts