Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition H6-3.0
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought my 2002 OBW LL Bean 245k miles to get an oil change ten days ago, came outside this morning to hear this. Valve noise?

Replaced the camshaft position sensor 3k miles ago.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,262 Posts
Hope it's a tensioner or pulley bearing.

·
Registered
4, Gen 2 H6's: 2002 LLBean, 2002 VDC, 2003 Plain H6, and 2004 LLBean...I love the H6's!
404 Posts
While the engine is running, use a wooden broom handle (perhaps cutoff to be shorter) or a long-handled (~24") flat-blade screwdriver, hold the blunt end of the broom handle/screwdriver handle against your ear, then hold the other end on different locations on the engine. Using this technique you should be able to narrow down the source of the sound. After you narrow down the source, then you will be able to consider what is causing the noise.

I just remembered you live in the same town I live in, so let me know if you want me to personally assist.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Legacy Outback.. EJ20 swap. Base or L. 4S3BH665527xxxxxx
555 Posts
Sounds like it got louder near the front.

Sounds like a pulley bearing or idle tensioner pulley (?) Mine made some kind of off-RPM noise like that.

Neighbor also suspected bearing.

Also had an LTC (Lincoln Town Car) sounded like rod knock/on of spray paint when the alternator or water pump pulley was about to seize. Finally did. Water pump. Broke belt.

Changed water pump and it was fine again.

Does not sound like rod knock so that's good..

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,262 Posts
Another way to localize the noise without putting your ear on the end of a stick - put the stick in a cut open gallon jug

Reactions: My First Subaru

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,212 Posts
Does that H6 have that hardened steel pin in the aluminum housing; the one that the pulley tensioner bounces against when the tensioner spring loses some force?

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Legacy Outback.. EJ20 swap. Base or L. 4S3BH665527xxxxxx
555 Posts
As above.. my H6 did similar.

Not the same, but.. probably needed a tensioner replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts