Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago the driver's window stuck in the down position so, after reading several threads here (thanks to all of those posters) I took the door panel off and then took the central window switch apart. After cleaning the contacts and reassembling, the windows now work properly which with the sub-freezing temperatures here is just wonderful.

However, when I use the central locking buttons (either on the driver's door or the passenger door) to lock or unlock the doors there is a strange noise a couple of seconds after the locks operate. The noise is like a low tension spring doinging and seems to come from every direction inside the car.

I took the door panel off again and still get the noise when I operate the passenger side central-locking switch after disconnecting all of the driver's side connections (windows and lock). I'm at a bit of a loss for ideas - is there a ground connection in the door that I've inadvertently broken, could I have blown a a fuse somewhere? I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's a boing, my wife thinks it's a buzz. It's fairly low pitch and really not localised to any single spot.

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,084 Posts
My 2003 has been making a noise after locking since it was new. I took it to the dealer, and they said it was normal, and it has been doing it ever since. Sound comes from all four doors.

Mine sort of sounds like the echo of a gunshot in a valley. Happens about 1 second after tripping the lock button, but only if the doors are unlocked.

If they are locked and I press the lock button, the sound is more like a buzz or a squirt.

It might be that you are only hearing it now since you opened up the door and disturbed the insulation or other stuff in the door.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,669 Posts
I once a 87 Colt VistaWagon and the rear hatch lock was - um - adjusted too 'tight' (long) and the locking solenoid would lock it, but about half the time, when the solenoid was de-energized, there was enough spring compression in the locking 'rod' built up, it would spring back to the relaxed position with enough force to unlock the hatch.

Wonder if something similar is going on with these locking mechanisms? some bar or rod is being compressed a little, and making a sound when the solenoid is turned off?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.