Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I did a forum search AND actually read the OM BUT I have to say that this is really weird-o-rama.

Basically, my fob always opens the gate properly BUT the exterior gate button no longer operates the gate.

If I try to open the gate using my fob FIRST, it works as always.

If I ignore the fob and try to use the exterior gate button, it opens an inch and then stops. At that point, my fob MIGHT lower it again but usually, the rear gate is inoperative. I then have to open and close the driver's door manually, then and ONLY THEN does the fob open the rear gate...........WTF?

The exterior gate button now just does not work at all.

BTW, the doors all open and close normally with either the fob or touch .........this is ONLY affecting the rear gate.

Make sense to anyone? I'm assuming that either the gate has to be reset OR the exterior gate button is kaput.

Steve

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,534 Posts
That description sounds exactly like what happens if you hold the exterior button for too long. The fob and drivers buttons require push and hold before the gate opens, but the rear button should be pushed for only a moment. If you push and hold that button, the gate does as you describe - unlatch but not open more than a small amount, then re-close after a while.

If it used to work correctly but no longer does, maybe the button is sticking.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring
367 Posts
The other possibility is the gate max height memory button, which is unfortunately placed right next to the gate button on your lower left dash. If you accidentally push it instead of the gate button, it does something like set the memory height, which it might have done at about 1". It did it to me at about 12". Play around with that and see if it helps.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,534 Posts
The other possibility is the gate max height memory button, which is unfortunately placed right next to the gate button on your lower left dash. If you accidentally push it instead of the gate button, it does something like set the memory height, which it might have done at about 1". It did it to me at about 12". Play around with that and see if it helps.
If that were it, the fob and rear button would produce the same result. OP says they do not.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great suggestion, I’ll check to see about duration of the exterior button press, seems like I’ve not changed anything at all over the past 2.5 years BUT I am getting older and more feeble-minded.........I’ll check tomorrow and report back!

Steve ( I think that’s my name......)��

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DOH!!!!

You guys were right.....I must have slowly, over the years, increased duration of the exterior gate button press.........it really HAS to be a monetary push, anything longer does what I thought the door was doing.

So: many thanks again for helping out a Senior Citizen, this is your good deed of the week! Think I'll go sit on a park bench and feed the birds.

Steve

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Double DOH..........that’s ‘Momentary” not “monetary” push......jeez, I’m falling apart......

·
Registered
2017 3.6 limited Outback
63 Posts
Double DOH..........that’s ‘Momentary” not “monetary” push......jeez, I’m falling apart......
Its just part of becoming loveable. Think of yourself as being an a**hole, No longer, now you are a member of the pleasant nutty bunch.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,258 Posts
... that’s ‘Momentary” not “monetary” push ...
I kinda' like the "Monetary Switch" idea. It goes right along with the "Check Wallet" light.

Reactions: skipw

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your supportive comments, guys. I'm finding that this "maturing" thing creeps up on you like an amoeba.......

To think that I've been using the switch incorrectly for so long is disconcerting.....to say the least.

Hopefully, losing my hair is not related to anything more serious.........."help me, I've fallen and can't get up..."!

I'm going to have to go over the OM again anyway since I never really used the voice commands to their fullest advantage. I guess I'm more of an analog old fart, even though I work digitally in my job.......

My salvation, ultimately, is the development of thought-control switches.........until I really get softheaded........

Steve

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,534 Posts
What were we talking about? I can't remember.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts