Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean edition
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't find anything related to this problem. There is a strange rattling sound coming from the steering pump area. You can feel the vibrations if you put your hand on the pump. The car steers fine though, and it does not whine either. It just sounds like something is loose. I'm wondering about that pulley attached to the steering pump assembly. Not sure if that is the idler pulley that folks say goes bad? I know this is a weird thing to post (a random noise) but looking for some things to look at I guess. I'm a reletively new owner. 2002 H6 LL Bean. Just turned 200K.

·
Registered
4, Gen 2 H6's: 2001 LLBean, 2002 LLBean, 2002 VDC, 2003 Plain...I love the H6's!
258 Posts
The PS pump on my '01 began making a rattling noise. I believed it was the impeller, so I swapped it for a salvage yard pump and the noise was resolved. The swap is easy, so you can DIY.

·
Registered
2002 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean edition
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The PS pump on my '01 began making a rattling noise. I believed it was the impeller, so I swapped it for a salvage yard pump and the noise was resolved. The swap is easy, so you can DIY.
How to you clear the air out of the line?

·
Registered
4, Gen 2 H6's: 2001 LLBean, 2002 LLBean, 2002 VDC, 2003 Plain...I love the H6's!
258 Posts
How to you clear the air out of the line?
The air naturally cleared out of the lines for me. Air can be entrained in the fluid if the o-ring on the intake side of the PS pump has failed. It is a very inexpensive o-ring, can be bought at any hardware store, so you should replace it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts