Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Outback with 2.5L engine, 75k miles. At about 60k I noticed a throaty rumble upon cold start. Reminded me of exhaust leak. I had my son plug the tail pipe with a rag and I crawled under front to look for leak. I pulled off sheet metal heat shields for exhaust pipe but never found leak. In 5 minutes after warm up the rumble went away. I checked a few forums and noticed others had same sound. All said dealer response was " Don't worry all Subaru's sound like this! or it is because timing chain has hydraulic tensioners and they need pumped up". So I did not worry.
At 75k the car developed a front left bearing noise((Seems way to early, but thats another discussion)) I took it to the dealer for the bearing fix and I said what about this rumble on cold start? He said it was the hydraulic tensioners, don't worry, be happy. I said while you are under there check for exhaust leak. Boom!!! When they had all the shrouds off the mechanic found exhaust leak/crack at the "Y-pipe upstream of catalytic converter"????. New Y-pipe and gasket were required. .This would have been $1000 job!!!!!!!!! Because I asked about it at 60k((sparkplugs)) and these guys missed it and I am barely over the warranty they fixed it for free.
MORAL OF STORY--TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS AND THAT RUMBLE UPON COLD START THAT DISAPPEARS IN 5MINUTES NEEDS TO BE FIXED BEFORE THE WARRANTY EXPIRES. SAVE $1000 BUCKS!!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts