Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I had my 90K done about a 6 weeks ago. Now on a cold/semi-cold morning I go to start the car and when it turns over, it makes the screeching sounds as if I'm trying to turn over the engine while it's already running. They did change the spark plugs as part of the service. This happens on rare occasion and only after one start, so it's pretty difficult to reproduce. Aside from taking the 2006 2.5L Outback, back into the shop, any ideas as to what might be causing this? Again, very sporadic and only noticeable on colder days and not every cold day (haven't seen this happen during a warmer day - above 50 degrees and the car is in the garage where it is warmer). Strange. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Starter switch sticking so yes starter could be continuing to spin after you let off the key. Easy for the dealer to identify

By any chance did your 90K service include the timing belt being replaced?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Hello all,

I had my 90K done about a 6 weeks ago. Now on a cold/semi-cold morning I go to start the car and when it turns over, it makes the screeching sounds as if I'm trying to turn over the engine while it's already running. They did change the spark plugs as part of the service. This happens on rare occasion and only after one start, so it's pretty difficult to reproduce. Aside from taking the 2006 2.5L Outback, back into the shop, any ideas as to what might be causing this? Again, very sporadic and only noticeable on colder days and not every cold day (haven't seen this happen during a warmer day - above 50 degrees and the car is in the garage where it is warmer). Strange. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.
Same question here? Did you have the timing belt replaced? If so, how much did you pay?

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
It sounds like the accessory belt squealing. They probably didn't tighten it enough. Bring it back, tell them what you hear and ask if they can check the tension on the accessory belt.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Subaru and the dealer recommend timing belt change at 115K miles, no longer at the 90K interval.

The starter may be sticking. Thank you all for the input. Is this something the can wait or does it have to be addressed immediately? I ask because I have very limited time and money right now with the holiday's and all.

I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Subaru and the dealer recommend timing belt change at 115K miles, no longer at the 90K interval.

The starter may be sticking. Thank you all for the input. Is this something the can wait or does it have to be addressed immediately? I ask because I have very limited time and money right now with the holiday's and all.

I appreciate the help.
The reason I asked is that you referred to your service being a 90K service which indicates its a package sort of service thing based on a mileage.

The 2.5 has always been 105 months or 105,000 miles which case makes no sense to pay a dealer top dollar for a 90K service when they will be in there doing major timing belt replacement at 105K. Just trying to get a feel for the dealer who sells a person a 90K service when the car at 90K more or less just needs oil changed and maybe some other fluids like diffs and transmission etc.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,

I started the car this morning. It was 42 degrees in the garage (34 outside) and I think I noticed the starter mechanism wanting to stick, so that may be the issue. However, upon this cold start, that strange noise didn't happen. Again, quite sporadic in when it happens, but I think you all might be onto something sticking or a loose belt. I will try to get it to the dealer when I have a chance. If you feel it needs to go in sooner, please chime in.

Many thanks!

:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it didn't squeal what did it do to make you think the starter was sticking?
Hard to describe, just felt sticky. I guess another way of describing it, is when I go to start the car, I have to really turn the key. I'm sure that makes no sense.

But this morning, same temps as yesterday, no issues, no "stickiness", no need to have to "really turn" the key to start. Like I said, it's sporadic and quite baffling. I'll keep watching it and let you all know if anything changes. I will bring it up with the dealer at my next oil change. I hope it's nothing and just me being silly. Last I checked, I knew how to start a car. :confused:

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
72 Posts
About 2 months ago I started also hearing a strange and somewhat loud "sqeeeeesh" sound that lasted for about half a second on start up. To me it sounded like a huge vacuum leak (which it couldn't be because it doesn't last) or a lose belt type of squeal (but that would last longer than a split second).

I just finished digging around and found this:

Screeching sound | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That is the same exact noise that I am hearing on my 3.0R. I read through this Legacy GT thread and it would seem that it is most likely the starter. On a warmer day when I'm feelin' frisky I will probably remove the starter and regrease it with help from this:

DIY: Starter remove, repair, install. - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

It could still be the belt and I'll give it a quick cinch up but I'm betting it's the starter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts