Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about this car other than the people were very strange and only owned it a couple of years. But when I was cleaning it I noticed on the driver side console a toggle switch and on the passenger an AUX chord that runs under the console... I don't know how I didn't notice it when I bought it. All I know without disassembling my console is that the toggle switch only makes my radio static and weaken the signal.. the aux chord.. I have no idea.. there is obviously not an aux button/option on the factory stereo.. anybody ever done/seen these random things??

Attachments

·
Registered
'07 Outback 3.0R LL Bean, '74 BMW 2002, '65 Datsun L320, '99 Land Cruiser
199 Posts
Is there a hard-wired FM transmitter/modulator hidden under the console? It's a way of playing an ipod/phone or whatever with a headphone jack through the stock stereo without any fancy inputs like you'd have on an aftermarket radio.
It will broadcast your device to a particular frequency on the radio (weak power so it won't go very far, only to your radio). Scan the channels while you have a device playing and you can find it.
It will weaken your reception of other stations that are close to the same frequency (probably reason you get more static with it on), so thats why it would be handy to turn it off sometimes. I have a similar device in my other car right now, but its hogging a 12V cigarette lighter, hence why it would be nice for some people to hardwire one in.

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm fancy dancy... I've seen the ones you plug into the cigarette lighter but didn't even cross my mind.. I'm going to give that a go. Side note, regardless my radio reception is awful period. Would this thing have something to do with that or is there a way to improve the signal? Granted if this make shift aux chord actually works then it won't really matter if not, but it would be nice to be able to listen to my regular morning shows a little more clearly

·
Registered
'07 Outback 3.0R LL Bean, '74 BMW 2002, '65 Datsun L320, '99 Land Cruiser
199 Posts
If you can turn it off, then no, it's probably not affecting radio reception. Unless they screwed up something like leaving the antenna barely connected in the back of the stereo. I don't think they would've had to go that far to install it under the console. They just would've pulled the console and hooked into 12V somewhere like the cigarette lighter. You can always take stuff apart and look around though. Maybe install an antenna booster if you really wanted.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
775 Posts
There are two, possible reasons why your radio reception would be poor:

1. The installation of the modulator disconnected the antenna to the car radio.

2. The wires that power the antenna preamp are broken inside one of the two rear hatch boot. This is very common in generation 3 Outbacks and there are multiple threads about it. Easy to find and fix.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
Have you tried setting your head unit to CD and then plugging your media player into the jack? Just a shot in the dark but I seem to remember reading that somewhere?

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon LLBean 3.0R Automatic
818 Posts
I believe your car has one of these
https://isimple.com/catalog/professional-installed-kits/IS77

I have one of their other units, Tranzit Link.

they both work the same way, a box gets installed behind the stereo, that plugs into the car antenna also

the switch is to disconnect the car antenna, when using the Tranzit unit to feed audio to the stereo

yes, if I turn the switch to disconnect the antenna, and do not plug into my iPhone, then my radio reception is very poor (because the antenna is being bypassed)

the way to use your setup is, turn the switch off to listen to radio, turn the switch ON if you want to plug that aux connector into your phone to feed music through your car speakers

there are two radio stations that Tranzit uses to send the audio from the phone or iPod, to the car stereo, via FM.
try setting your radio to FM station 87.9 or 88.3 and press play on your phone music app or iPod, with the headphone jack plugged into that wire you showed

If you just want to listen to the radio, you just need to turn the antenna switch Off (the on position of the switch is to turn on Tranzit, and disconnect antenna).

Again, the switch will connect or disconnect the car antenna... you will know right away which is which, when you try to use the radio.

hope that works out the way I believe it is supposed to

heres a google about your newfound navigation and entertainment system https://www.geek.com/news/isimple-tranzit-connects-ipods-to-fm-car-stereos-1368401/

I use Tranzit Link (and I have to turn on the switch that disconnects the car antenna) and am very happy with it.
posted about it here
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/311745-2006-2-0r-aux-bluetooth.html#post3572210
I dock my phone in a proclip all the time. This lets me listen to navigation through the car speakers. I can also listen to all my MP3/iTunes audio. Personally, I don't actually use the Radio at all, I can't tolerate the endless commercials. YMMV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts