Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999, Legacy Outback, '95 EJ22E, 5 speed; Money pit 02 WRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 1999 Outback Legacy 2.5l with the 5 speed manual and I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem; occasionally (1/20 times but it has become slightly more frequent) when I try to shift into reverse the shifter is where it is supposed to be but the car is not in reverse. When this happens it usually takes me 2 or 3 tries to get it into reverse and I was just wondering if anyone knows why/how this is happening and how to fix it.
I really just hope it isn't a big issue because I do like the car but if it is like the transmission is dying then I may just have to scrap it.

The previous owner had the clutch replaced at like 130k, the engine rebuilt by the dealer at 140k, and the timing belt changed at 160k but those were the total of "major maintenance."

Thanks for reading and I hope to be able to figure out what is wrong with this soon because winter is coming and this may get annoying if my car just dies on me.

Also unrelated to the above problem does anyone have any suggestions for stiffening up the suspension?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,479 Posts
You may have a worn or missing bushing in the shifter assembly. If its difficult to get into reverse, then that would be interior to the transmission.

Stiffening the suspension is easy. Install a set of KYB struts. You are probably still riding on the OE. Also check for loose bushings, joints, steering. Springs should be good.

Have it realigned after you do the struts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts