Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to pass this on. Two times now when it was very cold out and the OB has been sitting a while this has happened. Start the car and the "VDC Off" light comes on on the dash. Pushing the button on/off does nothing, the light stays on. This was happenig to my wife. Well eventually the light went out as she was driving along. I called the dealer and asked if he's seen this problem and he has not and wants me to drop it off. I check in the owners manual and it turns out that this is a normal thing, once the car warms up and/or reaches 8 MPH it turns off. The VDC still will work you just get a light. Strange but I thought I'd pass that on in case anyone else has the same problem.

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L
61 Posts
My guess is this.

The VDC involves using the ABS sensors. If there is not enough voltage at start up the ABS sensors will not calibrate/operate until enough voltage has been provided, i.e. the car gets up to speed. However, I think this means your ABS light would come on as well, so I'm sure somebody will correct me.

Most VDC use ABS sensors, and I remember reading in the owners manual that the ABS light may come on until 8mph is reached. On my motorcycle I know that if there isn't enough voltage due to an uncharged battery or very cold start my ABS won't calibrate immediately.

Hopefully I'm somewhat close to the real answer.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right the owners manual does state something to the effect that the ABS light may come on due to low voltage (page 3-15 in my 02 manual) It seems to be you can have both lights (ABS and VDC OFF) come on or just one or the other. Seems to be normal. If the lights stay on constantly and never go off then you have a problem.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,883 Posts
karasek said:
My guess is this.

The VDC involves using the ABS sensors. If there is not enough voltage at start up the ABS sensors will not calibrate/operate until enough voltage has been provided, i.e. the car gets up to speed. However, I think this means your ABS light would come on as well, so I'm sure somebody will correct me.

Most VDC use ABS sensors, and I remember reading in the owners manual that the ABS light may come on until 8mph is reached. On my motorcycle I know that if there isn't enough voltage due to an uncharged battery or very cold start my ABS won't calibrate immediately.

Hopefully I'm somewhat close to the real answer.
Great analysis Karasek! Thats kinda what I was thinking when I read Peaty's first post. Well I'll go ahead and rant... Although I think the VDC is a great system, I don't think its worth the $2000 extra dollars you have to spend. I think this is going to change for the 2005 USDM OB's, I'm not for sure but I think the other new OB's may have this standard. IMO, in 2001 when SOA first came out with the LL Bean and VDC editions they should have just combined the two instead of making two seperate models. With the LL Bean you get the custom leather, the VDC upgrade is just the VDC and better stereo. Just put that stuff in the LL Bean and they probably would have sold more OB's :4:

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,193 Posts
Kevin, but what about that nice mahogany steering wheel:D Which trim line gets that nice, beautiful, great to hold onto steering wheel? Brian

·
4,883 Posts
bheinz57 said:
Kevin, but what about that nice mahogany steering wheel:D Which trim line gets that nice, beautiful, great to hold onto steering wheel? Brian
Hey Brian, F You!!! :D

Me> :xnuts: <Brian

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The VDC system is very good in regardes to how well it handles in bad situations. I was very skepticle when I got it but after messing with it in some deep snow and stuff it's fantastic. Just the type of car I want my wife and kids driving around in :) The stereo is also amoung the best OEM ones I've heard. Is it worth 2K more? That is surely up for debate. I got mine for a very good deal as it was a leftover and on the lot. That was the main reason, now that I have it I think it's worth it before living with it I would say go with the LLBean too. My friend has an LLBean and he seems to like it a lot.

·
4,883 Posts
I remember reading a MT or C&D article on best snow vehicles and they rated the OB VDC as one of the best. They said is was the safest car due to its VDC system. Well I may have brought my point accross the wrong way *I'm getting good at it! :1pat:* I just kinda thought that in the best interest of the customer and Subaru's sales that they should have combined the models for the best of both worlds. Many I've talked to love the LL Bean, but want what the VDC has also. Most usually just go with the LL Bean because they don't want to pay extra for the VDC. Most opinions are that the standard Subaru leather sucks (I agree) and the the LL Bean leather is better (I agree).

I'm just happy I have my base H6-3.0 Wagon so I didn't have to worry about this or that or paying way too much for whatever :D

Although like I said in Peaty's OB vs. Forester thread, I looked at a 2002 LL Bean and a 2002 VDC when I was buying my car and I really wouldn't have minded having either although both are too expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts