Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this strange vibrations whenever I start entering a corner with a speed between 40 and 50 mph. As soon as I go straight again it's gone.

Driving straight there is no issue and also at higher or lower speeds there is no issue.

I recently swapped the steering housing which reduced the issue to only feeling the vibrations in stead of having a shaking steeringwheel.

There are no P codes in the ECU, but I found 3 C codes, C0029; C0054 and C0071.
Is there a way to reset the C codes to see which one pops up first?

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,050 Posts
C0029 is a wheel speed sensor for front right. Vibrations when turning at speeds is generally a wheel bearing. I would look at the front right one first, just because of the code. Is the Vibrations more going left or right? Do you hear a womp womp sound that continues to speed up? C0054 is brake light switch open circuit, could be the switch or it needs adjusted. Any recent brake booster/brake master cylinder work? C0071 is a steer angle sensor fault. By swapping steering housing, do you mean the entire column? If so, you need to program the steering angle sensor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vibrations occur going left and right, with the leaky steering rack the steeringwheel would als heavily shake.
Was thinking about the bearing too, already bought a set to replace both front bearings.

Brake light works fine, and cruise control also still works. But I will check of the distance of the sensor is correct.

I only swapped the rack underneath the car, but in the way to the alignment my steering was off and triggered the traction control to go off.
So I think a reset might do the trick.
Will disconnecting the battery do this?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Disconnecting the battery won't reset the steering angle sensor. It needs to be re programmed. Either by the dealer or independent shop, unless you want to buy a bidirectional scan tool that can do SAS learning.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I meant resetting the error to see if it will pop up again. Or is this not resettable, and only bij relearning the SAS?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replaced the wheel bearings and had the front tyres balanced, but I still can feel the vibrations when turning into corners.

Beginning to think that it might be the outer CV joints.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Which wheel bearings did you replace? Whats the condition of the rear tires?

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,700 Posts
I did not see any mention of rotating the tires around to see if the source of the vibration changes.
Although a defective tire could be identified during rebalancing, it may not. Moving the front tires to the rear (even temporarily) may help in diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced both front wheel bearings.
Could feel something in the right bearing, left one was better.
Wheels are all the same, but it's hard to tell if there is a significant difference in wear. I could try switching front and back.

It's difficult to describe the vibration, but it sounds a little like a repeating rithm of 3 vibrations with short periods inbetween and then a little bit longer period and the it starts again

What I saw during replacement of the bearings was that the outer CV joints are completely covered in rust, but the boot looks fine

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not see any mention of rotating the tires around to see if the source of the vibration changes.
Although a defective tire could be identified during rebalancing, it may not. Moving the front tires to the rear (even temporarily) may help in diagnosing the problem.
Can't hurt to try, will do this tomorrow to see if this makes any difference

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It may be a rear wheel bearing as well.
In the beginning I could really feel it in the steeringwheel, it was really shaking in my hands. Since replacing the steering rack and wheel bearings it has become much less, which makes me think that is somewhere in the front side of the car.

Going in straight line there is nothing, and als steering at high or low speed feels normal

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean
122 Posts
I had shaking steering wheel and car at highway speeds a couple of years ago. I got the tires balanced at 3 different shops, switched the placement of wheels, replaced the bearings and one of the axels and one of the boots. None of it helped.

What stopped my vibrations was changing the rotors and pads and reserviced the caliper pins. My guess is that they were so badly used or warped that it made the car shake (without braking) and/or the brake pad was slightly rubbing the rotors (I never heard it rub) and caused a warp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had shaking steering wheel and car at highway speeds a couple of years ago. I got the tires balanced at 3 different shops, switched the placement of wheels, replaced the bearings and one of the axels and one of the boots. None of it helped.

What stopped my vibrations was changing the rotors and pads and reserviced the caliper pins. My guess is that they were so badly used or warped that it made the car shake (without braking) and/or the brake pad was slightly rubbing the rotors (I never heard it rub) and caused a warp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did notice on Saturday that my front brakes are a bit warped. It isn't very noticeable on normal driving speeds, but I took it up to 85mph and at that speed I could feel the steering shake a little when braking. Ordered a new set. Probably will take a while before I can replace them due to the weather.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
990 Posts
You are getting warm on the brake rotors. There is a wobble. The calipers float and are vibrating/shifting when the pad contacts the rotor. They will eventually pulse when applying brakes due to the rotor being worn thinner in the contact area. Have the rotors cut on an on the car brake lathe. I just had to do mine. They were .005 out. On the car resurfacing compensates for wobble due to impurities between rotor back and hub face. My car had a slight tap/knocking that I thought was CV axle noise. It's gone now that the caliper isn't shifting back n forth with the wobbling rotor.

Reactions: Chrissetter

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still waiting on the new brake rotors...
But I took the brakes apart to check if anything was stuck.

I can push the pistons back with my hands, so they are not stuck.
One of the slide pins was not moving as easy as the others, but it wasn't completely stuck.
On the right rotor I can see multiple blue spots where it most likely got overheated.

I did found out that the slide pin bushes (26231FE020) are missing on both sides.
Can't seem to find what the function of these rubber bushes are...

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,185 Posts
How many kilometers are on this Gen 3? Guessing it's a significant number.

Have any suspension and steering components or bushings (other than front wheel bearings and steering housing) ever been replaced, or are these still original?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How many kilometers are on this Gen 3? Guessing it's a significant number.

Have any suspension and steering components or bushings (other than front wheel bearings and steering housing) ever been replaced, or are these still original?
It's got over 306k kilometres on it.

What I could find in the documentation is that in 2016 one of the CV joint boots was cracked and both ball joints had too much play.
In 2018 a CV joint was replaced and some work was done on the transmission.

I think the suspension and bushings are still original.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,185 Posts
It's got over 306k kilometres on it.
It might be time to look into some replacements. I'm not saying these are directly the cause of the isues seen, but I do note that most Gen 3 owners have done this by the time they reach this point (which is about 190k miles, for those of us in the USA).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts