Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 Outback Limited wagon has a strange wind noise coming from the left front windshield pillar. It sounds like a piece of vibrating plastic near the middle of the pillar. It only occurs when driving into a stiff wind at >68 mph (so the air speed must be <75 mph). The sound is sporatic and stops when I open the driver's side window and because of this I cannot stick my hand out the window and feel for anything vibrating. Anyone have a similar experience or any ideas? (driving only during days without wind and/or with the window always open are not options :D ). I should note that I had the windshield replaced several months ago with OEM glass by a shop used by the dealer, and I noticed no problems after the install. I have removed the inside panel, and all weather stripping inside and out appears normal. Could it be related to the water drain hose from the sunroof? Any advice is appreciated to save my sanity.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I sometimes also hear the same noise. It sounds like its coming from the tweeter in the front left door, i dont know what it is either. It's sporadic though, sometimes it will happen, and sometimes it wont.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I'm not the only one hearing that noise ??? I tried pulling the rear-view mirrors in against the glass, but that didn't stop it. It doesn't happen too often, but it could be real annoying on a long trip. Once in a while it happens on the right side, but it's mostly on the left.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2001 outback wagon has this problem also.

There is a subaru technical service bulletin titled:

"Door Mirror Gusset Wind Noise"

that suggests a repair for this problem. I ran across it on the net the other night, but cannot remember where. When I find it tonight, I will post it here.

John
new 2001 0utback wagon owner

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also found that Technical Service Bulletin posted on ScoobyMods.com. Go to the TSB's forum, and the link to Mirror Wind Noise Legacy/OB & Baja 2000 - 04. Sorry, I was not able to paste in the link. It is not exactly clear where some of the measurements are made that are recommended in the TSB. Since the noise is so sporatic, making some adjustments by trial and error may be a PIA. None the less, thanks to Peaty at ScoobyMods. If someone completes this repair please keep us posted.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I found a temporary way to fix it, just dont put the window all the way up, dont let there be a crack in between the window and the door so that air can get through, make sure its still lying against the door. It stops then noise but i would want to find a way to permanetly fix it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Anyone had any success with this problem? I'm having a loud Kazoo like noise from my drivers side window, when there is a strong crosswind coming form the passenger side. Would really like to fix it, drove me nuts on a road trip last weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
nipper
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing