Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to strap a kayak to an '03 Outback. Any helpful suggestions?

The kayak is 10 ft and about 50 lbs.
I only need to travel about 150 miles.
I have crank straps and utility rope, I'm just wondering where the best spots to tie it down are.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've done the same thing with a kayak and a dinghy. Either way, I put the bottom up and used one or two ropes around the hull to keep it from moving side to side on the rails. The tail ends can be tucked in the windows.

The front was tied to the front tow eye (need to remove the plastic fairing on the bumper). I used a shackle on the eye to prevent cutting through the strap (ratchet strap works well here). Then tie the tail into half hitches on itself. The boat will probably need to be yawed to the right in doing this. It'll work as long as the wind can't push the boat to the side.

The rear was tied to both tow eyes on each side (with chafe protection). The tails can get tucked into the hatch.

Remember to put a turn in the straps so the wind doesn't flap them around. Check the straps after being at highway speed for a few minutes and adjust accordingly.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Transport Roof rack

1 - 2 of 2 Posts