Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
4,351 Posts
Jondalar said:
Great pic, just the place for an Outback :D
I agree, a very beautiful pic! I love all these outdoor pics as of late showing the Outback in its true element :D Well I've crossed a few streams before, although it wasn't pretty or at least as nice looking as that :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
FMGreen said:
I wish there were places like that around me. There probably are, but I have no idea how to find them. :(
Why not try a Google search for 4WD clubs in the Rochester area? Email the club's contact member and introduce yourself. Tell them you're an Outback owner looking for someone that could point them toward some easy Level 1 trails or forest roads so that you might make use of your car to see some nice, out of the way spots. While you might wind up with someone who'll just deride going off-road in a "car", chances are you'll run into one of the many friendly people into off-roading, who'd be happy to make some suggestions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great responses! The crossing is here on the map, up the fork in the road called E Fork Indian Creek Road (on my map it was called 9B). Usually you have to park before the stream to access this climbing area, unless you have a capable machine to cross it. There are a few other streams along that road, too. I'm usually not out looking for a trail to drive, just looking to arrive at a destination, but in the Red half of the adventure sometimes is getting there.

·
Registered
288 Posts
So you climb out the window and onto the roof, make your way to the back, jump off, make your way to a perfect photo op and then realise you forgot the camera so back to the car and back again, take the photo and get back in the car. You try to start the car, it won't start, you feel the car slowly shifting with the current........

or you just had someone take the picture while you were driving across.....

Great picture though, now I know what my car would look like if I was to cross a creek.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live about 2 hours from the red river gorge but have no idea where to find these trails. I am going to start looking for some 4x4 clubs like suggested above. We used to go camping in the gorge all the time when I was a kid. Maybe we still have some terain maps somewhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob_Seger said:
I live about 2 hours from the red river gorge but have no idea where to find these trails. I am going to start looking for some 4x4 clubs like suggested above. We used to go camping in the gorge all the time when I was a kid. Maybe we still have some terain maps somewhere.
I've uploaded the photo to my Flickr account, you can see the photo on the map here. This is kind of a broken-down bridge up 7b (or maybe 7a, not entirely sure). Take 77 from Slade, make a left after the iron bridge and check the map from there.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Red River Gorge...

Nice shot, I live about an hour and a half from the Gorge. One of my favorite places to get out to.

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,565 Posts
FMGREEN: I am on the jeep WV club forum, and they're a great group of guys. Showed me a trail or two. I advise doing what zumdish said.

Awesome picture though, although it looks like one of those "movie picture" things where the next picture the bridge is going down the river.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts