Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Outback 3.6R Limited
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this? Know what it's purpose is? The piece on the other side already came all the way out. I meant to ask the dealer at the oil change but forgot. I finally remembered to take a picture of it today after waxing it up.

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.6 CVT Limited
11 Posts
Same on mine, but just the left side. I forgot to ask also. It'll be interesting to konw how common this is and if it needs fixing.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
I think it acts as some sort of insulator between the hatch pieces. Problem is in the 10-12 models you probably have to order the whole hatch to get that fixed. On my 10 I had the rubber piece that runs on the top of the hatch where it meets the window peel off. Subaru did not have the rubber piece as a replacement part ,you had to order the whole hatch, so the dealer sent me to a glass shop and re-glued it. that was 2.5 years ago and it's holding

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Mine is out on the right side.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 CVT All-Weather/Alloy Package, Graphite Gray
199 Posts
Same here, right side. I'm taking mine in to get the rear lights adjusted due to the expanding hatch piece and I'll ask them to address the insulation piece too. Hopefully it will work out.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
I had it comming out on both sides. The dealer corected it during the first oil change. Seems to be ok now.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
Mine has this on the right side. I will be talking to the dealer about it

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
Probably to keep the upper plastic panel from rubbing/squeaking on the lower metal panel. My '13 has black material btw. So far it's still in place. I still would like to know if the 2011 3 piece w/chrome garnish is a straight exchange. I really liked the looks and function of that trim.

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
I had this as well. They took care of it on the first oil change by just trimming it. At first I was thinking why didn't they do more? Then I thought only I know it was cut. I actually prefer that rather than them taking the hatch apart and risking a rattle/squeak.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV
225 Posts
Right side on my OB too... strange!!!

·
Registered
'12 Outback 3.6R Limited
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Old thread, but I finally went back to the dealer the other day for my 7500 oil change.

This particular dealer claimed that the strips are in there for shipping purposes. When they remove the "wrap" that comes on the car during PDI, they typically come out. He claimed mine just didn't come out, which is why they were working their way out on their own. Who knows if this is accurate.

Does someone have the FSM and could say if they are included a schematic of the rear hatch?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
If I recall there was some bulletin or even recall on this - or similar to this (some trim strip expanding in the sun shine/heat and rubbing against the body).
Typically, there would not be an insulation or protective tape between the body panels..I would think. There is plenty of plastic on car seats, carpets, etc. inside the car and some styrofoam door dent protectors, for car or rail transporters. Other than that, they would "heat shrink" the whole body, like they do on boats, when they are hauled across the country.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
I had mine coming out on both sides. Dealer pushed them back in. it is certainly not a transportation strip! The rubber is way to thick for this purpose. It is a sealer strip/friction reduction strip between the two parts of the outer hatch.

·
Registered
'12 Outback 3.6R Limited
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I'm skeptical of the answer as well, but I ultimately had nothing to counter with. "I think you are wrong" won't get me very far.

I looked at a schematic of the rear hatch on Subaru Parts Warehouse, but they don't even show the light assembly on the drawing, let alone a strip of anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts