Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i - 5 speed - 191K
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in an earlier thread I removed one of my engine heads and during that process one of the bolts pulled the threads out of the hole (See attached photo).

I looked at HeliCoil and Time-Sert. Time-Sert was MUCH more expensive ($445 - Amazon). The overall consensus was that Time-Sert was 1) Easier 2) Stronger 3) Overall Better Results 4) Almost Error Proof

I order the kit and went about repairing the threads today.

Instructions are very easy however they do require a degree of intelligence and common sense.

I followed them to the letter and before I knew it I was done.

Once you know how to do this, and have done a few, I think you can probably repair threads in as little as 15 minutes each. Prep work took most of my time. It was 45 degrees today so I used my girlfriend's flamingo printed duct tape. Make sure you cover all engine internals. The process produces an amazing number of aluminum shavings. You will NEED an air compressor to blow out the bolt hole(s). You can probably do it another way but the air compressor will make your life incredibly easier.

The results were amazing. I threaded a head bolt into the fixed hole and another into the adjacent hole and they were the same height when they bottomed. I have to say I am impressed!!!

I need to order a new dowel for the head (had to destroy one of the old ones) and then I will put the engine back together.

Let me know if anyone has questions.

Attachments

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
Well nice.

Like I said in your other thread. I have had good results with helicoil, to if this product is better, cool.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a buddy that builds race cars and does alot of engine rebuilding on Big Block muscle cars as well as some aluminum engine rice rockets. He uses both HeliCoil and Time-Sert but told me the Time-Sert is by far the best solution for aluminum blocked engines.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,322 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,541 Posts
I've never been overly impressed with the Helicoil system. It does have the advantage of being very inexpensive. And the amount of material that has to be removed from the threaded hole is minimal. But they are very finicky unless you are very experienced with them.

I am much more familiar with the Keensert. I've seen them used in high reliability applications, where thread integrity is critical.

Keensert

I'm not familiar with the Time-sert system. But from your pictures and the info on Amazon, it looks like a very reliable system. Why so much? I see repair kits for a specific thread size for under $100.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it is expensive because most of the tools in the kit are 100% custom to the kit and they are high quality pieces. You can not go out and buy the tools in this kit. The drill bit and insert driver are unique. The inserts are unique but are probably mass produced. All I know is they took MOST of the guess work out of the process. Besides measuring the hole depth and transferring that measurement to the tools (with a sharpie of all things) there is almost zero guess work and there is almost zero chance to screw it up.

Only way to mess it up is to transfer the measurement wrong!

Measure TWICE and mark once. Beyond that...there is no guess work!!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is also a universal kit. It comes with a kit for a specific thread size but I believe you can order different thread size kits for less than a new kit. The base plate, drill bit, tap, insert driver, oil and thread lock are universal. The base mount bolts and inserts are thread specific. The Universal kit works for most smaller passenger vehicles. Once you get to full sized trucks I believe the drill bit changes size.

·
Banned
2017 Outback
179 Posts
I think it is expensive because most of the tools in the kit are 100% custom to the kit and they are high quality pieces. You can not go out and buy the tools in this kit. The drill bit and insert driver are unique. The inserts are unique but are probably mass produced. All I know is they took MOST of the guess work out of the process. Besides measuring the hole depth and transferring that measurement to the tools (with a sharpie of all things) there is almost zero guess work and there is almost zero chance to screw it up.

Only way to mess it up is to transfer the measurement wrong!

Measure TWICE and mark once. Beyond that...there is no guess work!!!

One thing to keep in mind is that you can re-sell your tool kit and re-coup a good portion of the cost of the Time Sert tool. You should be able to get about $175 to $200 for it. Remember, the buyer is going to have to buy more inserts.
In the past I used helicoils but in looking at the job on a Toyota it was obvious the TimeSert was the way to go, got their specific kit for the vehicle and I'm glad I did.
When you are drilling out before tapping be sure to clean out the shavings often, it actually goes quicker the fewer shavings are in the hole.
The final job is better than new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts