Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while i was replacing the water pump on a 2005 baha one of the bolts holding the water pump in place stripped the threads out of the block. Now i have all but one bolt inplace on the water pump and stripped threads!!!!!!!

what do i do? i need an informed suggestion

It seems like something like this is my best option but i dont know if i should trust it.Permatex 81668 Stripped Thread Repair Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

Im a bit of an ametur mechanic so ive never encounterd a problem like this.

It seems like it might be possible that i do not even need that bolt but i deem that very unlikely.

HELP!!!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Get a helicoil kit. It's the only correct way to repair the problem. Search Helicoil on amazon. You will need to know you bolt size/thread pitch.

Tom

·
Registered
847 Posts
Helicoils are just as strong as the original threads, so your good. Just make sure it's sealed properly, don't want coolant rusting the steel threads.
Well.... a _properly installed_ Helicoil is significantly stronger than the original threads because it is larger (with more surface area gripping the hole) and usually made of steel. If you screw up the installation (drill the wrong sized hole or thread it at an angle), it could be a failure. Or if it rusts, but I think most commonly available inserts are corrosion resistant stainless.

Here is a data sheet on different types:

Heli-Coil Screw Thread Insert Materials, Coatings & Platings | Emhart Americas

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
while i was replacing the water pump on a 2005 baha one of the bolts holding the water pump in place stripped the threads out of the block. Now i have all but one bolt inplace on the water pump and stripped threads!!!!!!!

what do i do? i need an informed suggestion

It seems like something like this is my best option but i dont know if i should trust it.Permatex 81668 Stripped Thread Repair Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

Im a bit of an ametur mechanic so ive never encounterd a problem like this.

It seems like it might be possible that i do not even need that bolt but i deem that very unlikely.

HELP!!!
You look like a amateur mechanic with this post, use a torque wrench and work by the rules ;)

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
looks like you already repaired it but there are a couple intermediate options (as you can tell i've done this countless times):

1. chase the threads with a tap and try to reinstall again - sometimes just a few threads come out and it's still useable if properly cleaned up.

2. chase the threads as mentioned above and get a longer bolt with the same thread/pitch. (you can skip chasing the threads if you're lazy and in a rush - which i don't recommend on water pump bolts). the threads are always deeper and longer than the original bolts, so a longer bolt taps into clean, never used threads. that's the easy solution to this issue.

3. helicoil or timeserts (same thing, different brand)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
idosubaru
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing