Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 OBW
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a 96 OBW from a guy that didn't know anything about it. He purchased the car from a guy that had it sitting out in a field. He wanted the drivetrain to make a buggy. His wife said that car had to go, so I brought it home.

He stated he thought the headgaskets were gone, because the people that he bought the car from said so. They were driving the car, it stopped working, and they parked it. Come to find out, the fuel pump is dead. I found no traces of oil in the antifreeze, and no antifreeze in the oil either. To me that says the headgaskets are OK. Poured a little bit of fuel down the throttle body, reconnected the intake, and she fired right up and idled for a few seconds.

The car has a 2.2L engine under the hood, mated to a 5MT. Oddly, it has single port exhaust and the forward bolt holes on the motor mounts don't line up. It makes me think this is not the original engine to the car. I know the engine had been removed previously because two lower nuts are nonexistent on the transmission, and I found a box in the rear for 2.2L headgaskets. I'm thinking/hoping the motor might have fresh gaskets and timing.

My friend with a '97 Legacy sedan wants the engine. He has the 2.5L with an A/T but it started knocking HARD so it's trash. I know they're physically interchangeable, but the single-port exhaust has me concerned that it might not be the "plug & play" 2.5 to 2.2 swap. How would I identify the year of this engine, and if it's the easy swap, or if it's going to be a PITA.

·
Registered
1998 OBW
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I purchased the '97 Legacy sedan from my friend for a very good price. I'm going to be installing the 2.2 in that car after swapping the flywheel over. Since the 2.2 has a single-port manifold I'll be chopping up the dual port manifold and welding it onto the remains of the single port manifold.

I don't remember offhand if the 2.2 has an EGR, if it's the original engine to the car it won't. I'm hoping to get the engine in and running this weekend. I've read that if it's a non-EGR engine I might be able to just swap ECM's even though this would be coming from a M/T car, but I'm not sure how true that statement is.

·
Registered
DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH
399 Posts
The 2.2l will fit in place of the 2.5l no problem (it will fit on the x-member, trans, etc perfectly).

If the 2.2l you have has the small finned v-covers on it (12pt head bolts visable with v-covers on) - it will run off of the ej25 dohc ecu no problems.

If you need EGR you can plumb exhaust from the e-maniold to the EGR inlet tube not really a big deal.

I suggest you get a single port e-manifold IF you the donor car did not come with one as it will save you a couple of hours of hacking & give you a 100% OEM non-hacked swap - dual port & single port e-manifolds will bolt up to eachothers cats / exhausts no problem.
+
Check that the type of IAC your engines have are the same (some engines have IAC on the t-body others have the IAC on the #3 runner area) - it they are different you can either rewire OR get the Intake manifold that matches your runner type which is what I suggest for a 100% OEM non-hacked swap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts