Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This is one of my first posts. Many years ago, I drove a Subaru Forester and loved it because of the visibility. I am looking closely at the refreshed 2018 3.6, but have some questions. Note that I haven't driven the car yet, but plan to this week. It's good to see that several outlets really like the car. Still, I have some questions:

How is the braking in regular and panic situations? This seems to be one area that is panned by some reviewers. 192 feet from 70 in car and driver has me a bit concerned.

How responsive are the shift paddles on the car?

In your experience with previous models of this generation, how has build quality been? Some reviews talk about loose knobs. Hopefully, this has been corrected with the refresh.

I'd appreciate responses from owners of the 2015-on generation that don't include things like "Why don't you search the forum, noob?" Thanks for your time.

Kev

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Hi all,
This is one of my first posts. Many years ago, I drove a Subaru Forester and loved it because of the visibility. I am looking closely at the refreshed 2018 3.6, but have some questions. Note that I haven't driven the car yet, but plan to this week. It's good to see that several outlets really like the car. Still, I have some questions:

How is the braking in regular and panic situations? This seems to be one area that is panned by some reviewers. 192 feet from 70 in car and driver has me a bit concerned.

In your experience with previous models of this generation, how has build quality been? Some reviews talk about loose knobs. Hopefully, this has been corrected with the refresh.

I'd appreciate responses from owners of the 2015-on generation that don't include things like "Why don't you search the forum, noob?" Thanks for your time.

Kev
First if you liked the Forester you may not like the OB. Totally different seating/visibility. In the Forester you more or less sit ON the seat and in the OB you sit IN the seat. My wife had a '14 Forester and now has a '17. She hates the OB seats. I on the other hand like the OB seats and have a dislike for the Forester seats.

I've never experienced any brake issues with my '15.

Can't really speak to the paddle shifters. I used them once just to see if they worked. IMHO a total waste on a grocery getter with a CVT. Some here will claim they would rather put extra wear and tear on their $6k transmission in order to save wear and tear on a $20 set of brake pads. To each their own.

I have no gripes about the build quality. It's not perfect but what I would expect from a vehicle at the OB's price point. You will find the expectations of many in this forum unrealistic.

Loose knobs is not something I recall hearing about.

For what they cost they are a pretty good value.

Reactions: base_nine

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
First if you liked the Forester you may not like the OB. Totally different seating/visibility. In the Forester you more or less sit ON the seat and in the OB you sit IN the seat. My wife had a '14 Forester and now has a '17. She hates the OB seats. I on the other hand like the OB seats and have a dislike for the Forester seats.

I've never experienced any brake issues with my '15.

Can't really speak to the paddle shifters. I used them once just to see if they worked. IMHO a total waste on a grocery getter with a CVT. Some here will claim they would rather put extra wear and tear on their $6k transmission in order to save wear and tear on a $20 set of brake pads. To each their own.

I have no gripes about the build quality. It's not perfect but what I would expect from a vehicle at the OB's price point. You will find the expectations of many in this forum unrealistic.

Loose knobs is not something I recall hearing about.

For what they cost they are a pretty good value.
If you have sufficiently long grades, being able to downshift is of great value. If you're in a flatland area (say, like Indiana) paddle shifters are extraneous.

Reactions: provels

·
Registered
'17 Outback 3.6R Limited, '05 Forester
121 Posts
I agree with the two previous replies. The Forester and Outback have a different feel. My wife loves driving her Forester and likes being a passenger in my Outback. However, she does not like to drive my Outback because she feels like she's sitting too low.

I have not experienced any brake issues. But then again, I tend to brake early and gently.

I too used the paddle shifters once on a flat road - it was a waste of time. It completely negates the advantages of a CVT. I may change my mind after our trip to Colorado later this year where I need to hold the car in a lower gear in the mountains but find it unnecessary for just hilly roads.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6 '15 XV
89 Posts
I bought the 18 3.6R to join my '15 XV. It's nice. Brakes are fine for my first 700 miles. Paddle shifters work.

The radio knobs are cheap. The rest of the switch gear is either nice or acceptable. Not up to the standard of the '15 BMW X5 I got rid of, but nice. Power is good, too. I have been getting 22 MPG.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,233 Posts
I love when folks are looking at a car but they want other folks opinions about the car. Especially the subjective things...like how do the brakes and "fake" paddle shifters "feel".

When I go to buy a car, or am interested in it. I research it. I go look at it, I drive it. I most have the time have my mind made up. Then it is just about sorting through the available vehicles.

But I have been driving Subaru since 1989. I guess this old dog doesn't learn any new tricks.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I love when folks are looking at a car but they want other folks opinions about the car. Especially the subjective things...like how do the brakes and "fake" paddle shifters "feel".

When I go to buy a car, or am interested in it. I research it. I go look at it, I drive it. I most have the time have my mind made up. Then it is just about sorting through the available vehicles.

But I have been driving Subaru since 1989. I guess this old dog doesn't learn any new tricks.
Still better to ask for opinions as part of one's research. I always love those that hop on forums and rant about issues with a vehicle AFTER they bought it. Usually about things a modicum of research would have turned up.

This forum is interesting in the relatively high number of BMW owners that have downgraded to a Subaru then compare the two.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,233 Posts
Still better to ask for opinions as part of one's research. I always love those that hop on forums and rant about issues with a vehicle AFTER they bought it. Usually about things a modicum of research would have turned up.

This forum is interesting in the relatively high number of BMW owners that have downgraded to a Subaru then compare the two.
Yeah...Point taken. I get a bit narrow on some things...But I wouldn't value a whole ton of the nit-picky sh*t I see in the newer model threads. However, This is my 1st and only car forum and both of my cars were used. I joined after a search, to solve a problem. Truly the way of the old dog in the old world I suppose.

I would agree joining up just to add more to the b*tch list after purchase is less productive.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring Dark Blue Pearl, 2019 Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2017 Impreza 2.0i CVT, 2016 WRX 6MT ST2 FF
55 Posts
. . . In the Forester you more or less sit ON the seat and in the OB you sit IN the seat. . .
Compared with my WRX, I certainly sit ON the seat with my 2018 OB. I'm impressed with the OB seating. My wife thinks the seats are too firm, but firmer seats provide the extra support that is needed for my aging behind on long trips. Maybe the 2018 Touring seats are different than in prior years or non-Touring 2018 Outbacks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses, folks. Very informative. I test drove one of the 18s and was very impressed. I like having a responsive manual mode - even with a well-tuned CVT/engine combo - having the ability to shift when I know it'll help is important to me.

·
Registered
considering buying Outback
82 Posts
Thanks for the responses, folks. Very informative. I test drove one of the 18s and was very impressed. I like having a responsive manual mode - even with a well-tuned CVT/engine combo - having the ability to shift when I know it'll help is important to me.
Today with 2700 miles on my 18 3.6. Highway driving 180 miles averaged 28.2 mpg 70mph with eyesight cruise running the show

Dropping to 55 would break 30 one would guess ? Or more mileage on the car???

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Today with 2700 miles on my 18 3.6. Highway driving 180 miles averaged 28.2 mpg 70mph with eyesight cruise running the show

Is that computer-reported or calculated by hand?

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,237 Posts
Almost 11,000 miles on the 16 3.6R, never used the pedal shifters. Great highway car, easy to drive. Plenty of power for what it is, I don't think we've ever gone to WOT.

Trading it soon for a 18.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Is that computer-reported or calculated by hand?
Computer plus I drive with the Thule cross bars on touring model. Winding mountain roads I get 24.5 mpg
winding

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited Package 23
48 Posts

Lol! I'm one of the BMW -> Subaru owners. I'm so much more happy now!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
94 Posts
Not startling great but very good. No issues with my 2017 3.6R. See Truckee/Tahoe post on "Trip Reports"

Haven't used them much, mostly on severe downhill braking. They do what they are supposed to do.

Build quality is good.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6 '15 XV
89 Posts
No regrets about leaving BMW and continuing with Subaru. I was a Subaru owner first, then I bought the BMW, then another Subie. I'm happy to have the twin exhausts with the 3.6, and the extra torque. It's smoother. The 2.5 would be fine for me, also. We have a 2.0 in our XV. Maybe next time a smaller engine for me in the next OB.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've had four BMW this is first subaru. I got tired of BMW because it's always the same and it's now it's more of the same just different sizes
Twin turbo is cool though

·
Registered
82 Posts
Paddle shifters

They work well in tight turns really slows the car bunt stock tires roll too much but steering is really responsive

Brakes could be beefed up
I feel too much effort to get full effect and distance could be shorter but it's not a heavy car

Brakes and tires most important for safety and racing ok so Subaru Outback not for race but safety??? Yes!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts