Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,483 Posts
Making a report at NHTSA is imperative if you feel there is a chance your car's design could seriusly injure someone. Suabru or any other make - that is often how recalls begin. (though, Subaru has an excellent record of initiating recalls before g'mint intervention)

·
Registered
209 Posts
From my experience, Subaru lift gates in general are a weak spot for them, so I am on Patty’s side. My 2017 OB Touring has bit me pretty hard several times when I have an armload of stuff and don’t get out of the way fast enough. Really ticks me off when it happens. Mine does reverse but not quickly or without leaving a mark. My wife’s (now daughter’s) 2014 Forester auto lift gate was / is a pretty poorly functioning unit as well. Thankfully, the mechanism on my wife’s 2018 Forester works better.

Unfortunately the response Patty received from Subaru seems to be a common industry response. Our 2 year grandson’s foot got stuck in the door well of our DIL’s 2017 Honda Odyssey when it was opening, and it didn’t reverse, almost breaking his little leg. They had a terrible time even getting Honda to inspect his car; after which they did nothing to fix the reverse sensor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, the degree of force is subjective, but I've never seen it fail to reverse, and Subaru's auto hatch is without a doubt the slowest I've ever seen (other makes move much faster). In order to cause a traumatic brain injury it would have to be moving much faster. The only possibility for a concussion would be getting knocked to the ground and hitting your head on pavement. There are obvious symptoms of a concussion but diagnosis should be left to a medical doctor.
Are you a medical doctor yourself? Apparently you are so bent on your own opinion that you don't read other's input fully. I've stated twice in my threads that I was diagnosed by a medical doctor in the emergency room. Do you need proof? I'll be happy to send you my medical report. Just because it hasn't happened to you does not mean it can't or doesn't occur. When it does happen to you, I hope you have the integrity to finally admit that it's possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
From my experience, Subaru lift gates in general are a weak spot for them, so I am on Patty’s side. My 2017 OB Touring has bit me pretty hard several times when I have an armload of stuff and don’t get out of the way fast enough. Really ticks me off when it happens. Mine does reverse but not quickly or without leaving a mark. My wife’s (now daughter’s) 2014 Forester auto lift gate was / is a pretty poorly functioning unit as well. Thankfully, the mechanism on my wife’s 2018 Forester works better.

Unfortunately the response Patty received from Subaru seems to be a common industry response. Our 2 year grandson’s foot got stuck in the door well of our DIL’s 2017 Honda Odyssey when it was opening, and it didn’t reverse, almost breaking his little leg. They had a terrible time even getting Honda to inspect his car; after which they did nothing to fix the reverse sensor.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,008 Posts
Are you a medical doctor yourself? Apparently you are so bent on your own opinion that you don't read other's input fully. I've stated twice in my threads that I was diagnosed by a medical doctor in the emergency room. Do you need proof? I'll be happy to send you my medical report. Just because it hasn't happened to you does not mean it can't or doesn't occur. When it does happen to you, I hope you have the integrity to finally admit that it's possible.
Yes, I see that I did miss your comment on an ER visit, sorry to hear that. I'm still confused as to what exactly happened and will maintain my position that the gate was not likely the root cause. We tend to be more inquisitive when folks show up here and their only contribution to the forum involves a highly unusual or unlikely claim.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Making a report at NHTSA is imperative if you feel there is a chance your car's design could seriusly injure someone. Suabru or any other make - that is often how recalls begin. (though, Subaru has an excellent record of initiating recalls before g'mint intervention)
Thank you for that suggestion. I will certainly follow up with a report.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes, I see that I did miss your comment on an ER visit, sorry to hear that. I'm still confused as to what exactly happened and will maintain my position that the gate was not the root cause.
If it wasn't the gate, then what was it? It wasn't a boulder that rained down from the sky. My granddaughter was there to attest to what happened. Would you like to speak with her?

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,353 Posts
LOL, must have missed the part where I said that... but, not my point.
You didn't say anything of course, just wrote some stuff that was dismissive.

We are living in an age unfortunately where people's credibility is called into question. You are pretty even handed and helpful, so I'm confident you didn't mean to suggest Patty's report had no factual basis.

Peace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks stfsubaru.
There was actually an incident which occurred prior to the incident which injured my wife. I have described it in a letter which I am sending to Subaru headquarters and the dealership. I have included the text of that letter here:

"I experienced two incidents with the lift gate on my 2020 Outback Limited XT which I believe to be serious safety concerns. They both happened yesterday (11/23/2019).

First incident:
The car was in an indoor parking garage, backed up to the wall with about 4 ft of clearance between the closed lift gate and the wall. I had just put my 2-year-old grandson in his stroller, and we were between the rear of the car and the wall. As I was wheeling the stroller away from the car, the lift gate automatically opened and pinned the stroller against the wall!
I was not touching the key fob in any way.
The gate did not immediately sense the obstruction, and it continued to force itself against the stroller. I had to push forcefully against the lift gate in order to free my grandson and me.

Second incident:
After returning to the car which was parked as described in the first incident, the lift gate forcefully hit my wife on the head! She had raised the gate in order to put something in the car, and after the gate was all the way up, she bent down to put the item in.
The lift gate came down on her head. She was in excruciating pain!
It has been about 24 hours since this occurred, and she is still experiencing headache, nausea and blurred vision.
We are now seeking medical attention.

Later yesterday afternoon I experimented with the gate, and it malfunctioned the same way (2nd incident) 2 more times!
After it went up all the way, the gate immediately came down automatically!
As of now, it is working properly.

We have had the car less than a week.
The irony of this happening with a car renowned for its safety features is not lost on me."

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
17 Posts
Thanks stfsubaru.
There was actually an incident which occurred prior to the incident which injured my wife. I have described it in a letter which I am sending to Subaru headquarters and the dealership. I have included the text of that letter here:

"I experienced two incidents with the lift gate on my 2020 Outback Limited XT which I believe to be serious safety concerns. They both happened yesterday (11/23/2019).

First incident:
The car was in an indoor parking garage, backed up to the wall with about 4 ft of clearance between the closed lift gate and the wall. I had just put my 2-year-old grandson in his stroller, and we were between the rear of the car and the wall. As I was wheeling the stroller away from the car, the lift gate automatically opened and pinned the stroller against the wall!
I was not touching the key fob in any way.
The gate did not immediately sense the obstruction, and it continued to force itself against the stroller. I had to push forcefully against the lift gate in order to free my grandson and me.

Second incident:
After returning to the car which was parked as described in the first incident, the lift gate forcefully hit my wife on the head! She had raised the gate in order to put something in the car, and after the gate was all the way up, she bent down to put the item in.
The lift gate came down on her head. She was in excruciating pain!
It has been about 24 hours since this occurred, and she is still experiencing headache, nausea and blurred vision.
We are now seeking medical attention.

Later yesterday afternoon I experimented with the gate, and it malfunctioned the same way (2nd incident) 2 more times!
After it went up all the way, the gate immediately came down automatically!
As of now, it is working properly.

The irony of this happening with a car renowned for its safety features is not lost on me."
Sure sounds serious & pretty scary to me. Thanks for letting us know about this. I’ve owned my OB for about a week now & fortunately I haven’t experienced this yet. Will put my packages on the back seat until we get an “all clear” from someone. Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean, H6 / 2003 VDC sedan H6
43 Posts
It would be good to know how it or what it uses to sense obstructions.

seems like there should be some way to adjust the sensitivity needed to stop the motor travel.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
It would be good to know how it or what it uses to sense obstructions.

seems like there should be some way to adjust the sensitivity needed to stop the motor travel.
there are pinch sensors along the edge where it shuts against the rubber weather strip (sensors located on the gate). For obstructions that block the motion, it's force against the motor...

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,574 Posts
Get it on video...every time. Do I see a recall coming?

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean, H6 / 2003 VDC sedan H6
43 Posts
there are pinch sensors along the edge where it shuts against the rubber weather strip (sensors located on the gate). For obstructions that block the motion, it's force against the motor...
cool thanks.

this means there might be certain amount of time before the motor reaches the feed back point were it would stop and reverse direction....

The pic is for a forester, assuming the outback is set up the same way...

seems like it would depend on how the object obstructs the travel "force and time" in order for it to respond.
The door travel it self is slow, someone moving their head in the way of its travel may be adding to the collision force before the door actually either stops or reverses direction. .

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Guess I am glad I have old cars that require you to close the hatch by yourself. Only downside with those is if one of the gas struts breaks or loses its charge. Guess I will keep an old hockey stick in the car if I buy one with that new fangled auto closer function :)

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
cool thanks.

this means there might be certain amount of time before the motor reaches the feed back point were it would stop and reverse direction....

The pic is for a forester, assuming the outback is set up the same way...

seems like it would depend on how the object obstructs the travel "force and time" in order for it to respond.
The door travel it self is slow, someone moving their head in the way of its travel may be adding to the collision force before the door actually either stops or reverses direction. .

and the gen5 version moves slower than the newer outback and the more recent updated forester models.... not sure about the mass involved in the gate... faster may not mean more force involved, but it certainly means getting bonked faster/more often than the slower pace of the 2015-2019 outback rear gate (I'm guessing the OP has a newer outback with the gate that closes faster, but there is nothing in the post/profile to confirm which gate we are discussing).

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,353 Posts
@Tim W - you wrote:
The irony of this happening with a car renowned for its safety features is not lost on me.

I'm thinking the force detection on the hatch is not operating properly, and when it's getting at or near max open travel it is sensing an obstruction where there isn't one, and reversing direction.

Guess until you have it looked at, I would at least open the gate and verify it has stopped travel before proceeding to load the vehicle. Hopefully once it has stopped opening it will stay open. I can imagine if you wait for the hatch to finish opening, it does, you go about your business and it starts closing, that would be very bad.

Reactions: walker
21 - 40 of 94 Posts