Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,127 Posts
In some instances, there could be some combined forces. Someone may be jerking or whipping their head about while contacting the moving the hatch. I suspect testing may be done with some type of force-sensing human head 'analogue' that is likely stationary.

I once knew someone who dropped something they were retrieving from a safe, they tried to catch it and hit their head on the edge hard enough to detach a retina.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,228 Posts
@1 Lucky Texan - sure, how about a scenario where someone starts the hatch closing, drops something and bends down to quickly pick it up, and then in rising upward, makes contact with the hatch which is coming down.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
566 Posts
Has any Subaru owner having a power lift gate ever had the hatch come down on you when you couldn't get out of the way in time after pushing the button? This may sound crazy, but I got a concussion when it struck me on the side of my head as it came down. I thought my granddaughter had moved out of my way when I pushed the button to close the hatch, but she was standing so close to me I was unable to get out of the way in time. Unfortunately, the liftgate does not have a system that stops the hatch from lowering if something or someone is in the way, like an automatic garage door has. While it took some time to heal from the concussion, my biggest concern is if a child is struck by the hatch. It is an extremely heavy liftgate and came down hard enough on me to cause a concussion. Imagine the injury it could cause to a child. I contacted Subaru, but they are not showing any interest in examining and correcting the problem. I would hate to hear of a child getting injured or killed because they won't address this issue.
So, what have we learned here.
Keep your head and appendages out of the way of moving metal objects.
Metal hatch vs. human head, hatch wins every time.
OP has world's slowest reaction time vs world's slowest automatic hatch.

Nothing to see here moving along

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
So, what have we learned here.
Keep your head and appendages out of the way of moving metal objects.
Metal hatch vs. human head, hatch wins every time.
OP has world's slowest reaction time vs world's slowest automatic hatch.

Nothing to see here moving along
You said what I've been thinking. I always use the fob to close my power hatch once I'm sure it's all clear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Have you tested your auto reverse function?

What year car are you discussing?
2018. Yes, I tested it yesterday and it does not reverse no matter where I put my arm underneath. Had I not quickly removed my arm, the liftgate would have struck me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks stfsubaru.
There was actually an incident which occurred prior to the incident which injured my wife. I have described it in a letter which I am sending to Subaru headquarters and the dealership. I have included the text of that letter here:

"I experienced two incidents with the lift gate on my 2020 Outback Limited XT which I believe to be serious safety concerns. They both happened yesterday (11/23/2019).

First incident:
The car was in an indoor parking garage, backed up to the wall with about 4 ft of clearance between the closed lift gate and the wall. I had just put my 2-year-old grandson in his stroller, and we were between the rear of the car and the wall. As I was wheeling the stroller away from the car, the lift gate automatically opened and pinned the stroller against the wall!
I was not touching the key fob in any way.
The gate did not immediately sense the obstruction, and it continued to force itself against the stroller. I had to push forcefully against the lift gate in order to free my grandson and me.

Second incident:
After returning to the car which was parked as described in the first incident, the lift gate forcefully hit my wife on the head! She had raised the gate in order to put something in the car, and after the gate was all the way up, she bent down to put the item in.
The lift gate came down on her head. She was in excruciating pain!
It has been about 24 hours since this occurred, and she is still experiencing headache, nausea and blurred vision.
We are now seeking medical attention.

Later yesterday afternoon I experimented with the gate, and it malfunctioned the same way (2nd incident) 2 more times!
After it went up all the way, the gate immediately came down automatically!
As of now, it is working properly.

We have had the car less than a week.
The irony of this happening with a car renowned for its safety features is not lost on me."
Thank you for your post, and I hope your wife improves quickly. I think Subaru knows there are safety issues and their response to me simply indicated that they hoped I would just go away. I hope they review these threads and realize they have a serious problem which needs to be addressed before more people are injured or worse.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
2018. Yes, I tested it yesterday and it does not reverse no matter where I put my arm underneath. Had I not quickly removed my arm, the liftgate would have struck me.
Did you actually let it touch your arm? It needs to feel resistance to reverse. Don't need to use your arm, use your husband's arm...or a broom handle.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
2,891 Posts
Thank you for your post, and I hope your wife improves quickly. I think Subaru knows there are safety issues and their response to me simply indicated that they hoped I would just go away. I hope they review these threads and realize they have a serious problem which needs to be addressed before more people are injured or worse.
This isn't a garage door and there aren't sensors telling it that something is in the way. It has to hit something and get some resistance before it will reverse.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Patty, I agree with '1 Lucky Texan'. If you seriously believe that the tailgate malfunctioned & injured you, then by all means, fill out a NHTSA report (online). They track this stuff, and if there a trend towards this type of incident with the hatches, they'll be talking to Subaru. Trust me, Subaru will not "respectfully decline" to review the incidents with the Feds. If there is a design or quality problem, it needs to be investigated.

It could have been much worse:

When I lived in Maryland & drove a '70 Ford Maverick, I was doing some under-the-hood maintenance on a very cold, blustery day. Now, the Maverick's hood had no struts nor springs to hold it open, and it wasn't a short, light weight aluminum hood that is so commonly used nowadays, either. Fairly long, heavy steel hood, held up by a steel rod that fit into a small hole.

I was leaning over the engine from the front, and as luck would have it, a strong gust of wing lifted the hood upwards, the support rod dropped out of the hole, and the hood came crashing down on my head. I was quick enough to throw my right arm under my face, protecting me from knocking my teeth out on the radiator - but the hood nailed me hard in the head.

I lifted the hood, staggered over to the yard and sat down, watching all of the little birdies whirl around for a minute. Got a respectable headache and a classic goose egg on the back of my head. But, being part hardheaded Scottish, it didn't take me out. I did drink a lot afterwards.....:unsure:

I respected that car's hood a whole lot more after that... didn't make that mistake again.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,405 Posts
fixed title.
the way it read was like click bait, like the thing came down like a non-motorized gate with zero strut pressure.
(and those are dangerous when you see someone with a wooden prop rod for busted struts = bump that and watch out).

or as @jes2 points out, ...plain hinged hoods too.

·
Registered
2015 Forester & 2016 Outback
19 Posts
After reading this thread, I went to my 2015 Foz in my garage at home.

Opening it with my key fob, it I gently resisted it by pushing against it as it rose OR if I struck it smartly with the fingers of both hands interlocked, the door reversed direction.
Closing it by pushing on the switch embedded in the lift gate, it I gently resisted it by pushing against it as it rose IT DID NOT STOP CLOSING, but if I struck it smartly with the fingers of both hands interlocked, the door did indeed stop closing and reversed direction.
And it opens and closes painfully slow.
Common sense would dictate that you stand well clear during the entire opening and/or closing sequence.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
566 Posts
Maybe sub should add a notification tone and flashing lights.
Oh wait 🤔

·
Registered
1 Posts
Both my 2015 and 2019 hatches respond very quickly to resistance going down or up. When they reverse, another obstruction will make it stop moving at all. IMO, they work very well.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Are you a medical doctor yourself? Apparently you are so bent on your own opinion that you don't read other's input fully. I've stated twice in my threads that I was diagnosed by a medical doctor in the emergency room. Do you need proof? I'll be happy to send you my medical report. Just because it hasn't happened to you does not mean it can't or doesn't occur. When it does happen to you, I hope you have the integrity to finally admit that it's possible.
no doubt the incident occurred, no doubt there was an injury, no doubt there was a diagnosed by a Dr. but was it confirmed by a CT scan? ....often times a Dr will concur with a patient’s insistence that they experiences something....to assuage the patients emotional state.... if a patient insists they’ve got a concussion......then the Dr will agree.....as in the placebo effect. It happens rather routinely. it’s amazing the injured party can focus on a screen, read and reply to posts while experiencing nausea, headaches and every other concussive symptom..... remarkable recovery.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,356 Posts
Well, the OP claims to have since recovered, which is certainly possible. But fair point on a patient's insistence. My wife is a MD. From what she's told me, while CT scans can reveal bruising, they can't conclusively prove that such damage resulted in a concussion. Concussions are always diagnosed symptomatically, so simply by insisting that you're experiencing all the classic symptoms, a doctor can, at least to some extent, be forced into the diagnosis.

·
Registered
251 Posts
no doubt the incident occurred, no doubt there was an injury, no doubt there was a diagnosed by a Dr. but was it confirmed by a CT scan? ....often times a Dr will concur with a patient’s insistence that they experiences something....to assuage the patients emotional state.... if a patient insists they’ve got a concussion......then the Dr will agree.....as in the placebo effect. It happens rather routinely. it’s amazing the injured party can focus on a screen, read and reply to posts while experiencing nausea, headaches and every other concussive symptom..... remarkable recovery.
I wondered about this. I'm into mountain biking and when people talk about concussions, it's months for recovery.

One of my son's teammates had a concussion during practice and was out of school for 2 months.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I’m certain your wife has a story or two regarding patients exaggerating the event as well symptoms..... a slow moving gate doesn’t provide the coup or contrecoup motion Or level of impact to cause the concussion nor was a whipping side motion as Wasn’t suggested. mechanism of injury would have to meet a higher threshold.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,884 Posts
I still think OP should let Subaru know they were diagnosed with a concussion and have their gate checked out to confirm it's working properly.

I converted mine to manual but the number of times I stopped the auto gate with my fingers was something like 100 percent of the time.

It seemed extremely sensitive to resistance.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts