Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
So, it’s already in the hands of a jury... hmmm. So far, it seems the story isn’t being refuted....rather the seriousness of the claim Is in doubt....and that is not an assumption.....it simply doesn’t add up with the forces involved based upon experiences with the lift gate‘s downforce And speed.
What are babbling about?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,105 Posts
For what it is worth I have been hit twice. Both times I pushed the button and got distracted by something and did not move quickly. The first time it hit my head fairly hard and then stopped. I think it reversed, not sure. The second time the gate just started touching me and I moved out of the way and the gate closed. Incidentally I set the gate height lower so not to hit my garage door which means I need to move quickly. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had one hydrolic lift somehow pop out while I was under it once. Talk about getting your attention! I looked around and nobody else was there....at least nobody that I could see. The eerie sense of another presence was probably my imagination, but there's NO WAY that I was going to change the oil that day! 😄

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just curious here - which end was the failure point, and what exactly gave way on it?
Johnre,

No big deal. I'm still alive 🤕. It was an older model, so its probably not relavant to this exact topic. But it was a simple manual tailgate. I've replaced the hydrolic lifts on other OBs when they've gotten weak. This one gave me no warning and worked fine...
Then while I was unloading supplies, it just dropped fast and landed on me. If it hit someone in the skull, it very likely could have caused a concussion and neck injury. That's probably one reason that I can sympathize with others who have gone through that.
To answer your question, it simply popped out of the ball of the top frame. I inspected it. No rust. No breakage. I popped the socket back onto the ball.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,543 Posts
To answer your question, it simply popped out of the ball of the top frame. I inspected it. No rust. No breakage. I popped the socket back onto the ball.
Thanks for the followup; as a result of this thread - and also your experience - I'm going to have a pretty careful look at my (manual) liftgate today. I tend to be rather pro-active about inspection and routine replacement whenever there's a known failure mechanism, although I suppose I don't have as many open / close cycles as many here might - I'm still on my original Gen 3 wiring system at the hinge points!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Johnre,

You're welcome. I guess one good thing about this thread is that even though it doesn't solve a problem, it gets us using the ounce of prevention. I'm Glad you are proactive. A long time ago I started realizing that the doors hinges, especially the tail gate lifts need regular lubrication.

If most are like me, I never used to think about it until something started to squeek or get sticky.
Then I found some heavier duty silicon based lubes that don't attract dust and don't deteriorate the lift seals like oils do. Since I use the back end a lot, my lifts wear out quicker than most would. I should schedule it like an oil change, but end up doing it once in a while. I wipe the shafts off and hinges. Then a shot of silicon based lube, that says its safe for rubber gaskets, on all contact points. Next I simply cycle the doors/lift gate a few times.

I noticed the thing not rising all of the way up when I let it go on its own. If its just above eye level and you're accustomed to just reaching in or backing out quickly....BANG!😣😵
Regardless of how light some, (not you johnre, just some sceptics), think those are its a whole lot harder and heavier than the average head. 🙉

I don't know of any replacement schedule, but would guess that when it doesn't rise to the full extension under its own tension is probably a good time to change them out.
I just never had one pop out on its own. Maybe OEM wouldn't have done this. Ididnt think it would matter as long as it was the same size and functioned.
Last thing is that the exact same lot of aftermarket lifts sometimes have a bad one brand new. I always compress them in the store before buying replacements. If its weak, I tell the manager to pull it out of inventory.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,331 Posts
Man, this has devolved quickly...

Aside from a truly malfunctioning mechanism (for which, the OP can still have the assembly tested/inspected after recovery in the name of a warranty inspection), this really needs some simple explanation:

The auto-stop only responds to resistance in the plane of motion. For example, if there's a wall/person/another car/etc. in the way of opening or closing, it will stop.

But for glancing blows, side force (like leaning against the open hatch), and clear space, the hatch will not stop. It doesn't generate enough force on the motor to indicate a problem.

Make it too sensitive, and ANY snow, heavy rain, light touching, or even wear/tear/age will make the hatch stop every time you operate it. And at that case, why bother with the system.

OP, you probably got hurt, blows to the temple hurt. It's probably fine, just be more careful next time or close it remotely (interior or key fob). And to everyone, practice some common sense: KEEP CLEAR OF THE MOVING DOOR.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts