Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT GRP
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to swap out the struts on my OBXT and I'm looking for a how-to or a thread showing the procedure. I tried searching, but have come up with nothing so far. Can someone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Manual
17 Posts
Grab a Haynes manual. Just did the rears on my 05 Outback XT. The nut that connects the strut to the bottom of the car is a real PITA w/o air tools, but doable with some PB penetrating stuff and good leverage. Make sure you grab spring compressors! You can rent em for free basically at most any autoparts store.

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
343 Posts
Grab a Haynes manual. Just did the rears on my 05 Outback XT. The nut that connects the strut to the bottom of the car is a real PITA w/o air tools, but doable with some PB penetrating stuff and good leverage. Make sure you grab spring compressors! You can rent em for free basically at most any autoparts store.
Redwagon is correct, that nut is the hardest point to pass on the way to strut replacement.
I used a breaker bar and wedged it into the cradle of my 3 ton floor jack. A few pumps on the floor jack and the bolt came loose.

Don't buy spring compressors, the rented or even free loaners from the store are much better than the cheapo's you can buy.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT GRP
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, guys! I actually already have the spring compressor from a few other suspension jobs I've done. I thought there wasn't a Haynes or Chilton's for these cars. Guess it's time for me to pick one up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.