Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been able to find the strut tower kits with the springs already installed lately? Passenger side has collapsed on my 96 Outback 2.2 manual.

They used to be out on Rock Auto and have since disappeared, along with at every major retailer as well. Only finding for 2000 and forward.

Anyone know a reputable online place to purchase them? Or even just purchase the springs?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well for those looking for quick struts...

Trying to find a set of Gen1 Legacy Outback Quick struts is impossible. To completely rebuild, you have to buy the struts and hats from your vendor/manufacturer of choice and if you need springs, you are left with used, or dealers and local shops, who go back to the dealer. You will get a better price local than you do walking in the door at the dealer. Another route is crazy aftermarket ones that are geared towards off road or racing performance. aka not the daily driver....

So with not being able to find them, I went with a set of Monroe Quick Struts for an 2005 Forestor XT, as I read some people on here have done to give a little lift. It was one of the cheapest, quickest and least dangerous routes to obtain new struts and springs. Parts seem to be readily available on RockAuto and local stores, although the local chains charge a hefty price over what you find online.

The 05 Forestor struts are indeed bolt right in, with no fitment issues what so ever. You will wind up with a little case of saggy butt in the back, but as stated in many posts, 1/2" to 1" spacer should even up the rear if it bothers you. Zip tied brake lines in the front, brake lines fit in the rear carrier built into the strut tower. It produced about 1" to 1.5" of lift overall, which is a nice plus.

People on the board say they are stiffer, which they are, but I am a bad judge as they feel amazing compared to the original ones that were on there and had 134k miles.

While I did not do this for the lift, it is nicer stepping out of the car and sure it will be nicer to have a little clearance in the winter months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can fit any forester struts from 97-08 on your outback. The struts from an 04 and up will give the car a slight lift. the older ones will keep it stock height. Otherwise if you are deadset on needing an actual outback set look on Ebay. Alot of times guys will put full used assemblies up for cheep.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I have a 95. There used to be a source, probably chinese, that supplied the complete strut assembly on the internet. I was always afraid to buy it for obvious reasons. So I think that the only alternatives now are to put in a new kyb unit for about $500+ for two [installed] or to buy some used ones and take a chance that they have some life in them. Or DIY.

·
Registered
'96 Subaru Outback 2.2, 5-speed, 15" tires
12 Posts
You can fit any forester struts from 97-08 on your outback. The struts from an 04 and up will give the car a slight lift. the older ones will keep it stock height. Otherwise if you are deadset on needing an actual outback set look on Ebay. Alot of times guys will put full used assemblies up for cheep.
"The struts from '04 and up give a slight lift". "The older ones will keep it stock height".

This means, then, earlier than '04 Forester struts, both front and rear, keep a 96 Outback at stock height?

It is a straight replacement, the earlier than '04 Forester struts fit existing Outback body and undercar bolt holes?

Do the '04 and earlier brake lines need to be tied-up in place?

·
Registered
12 Posts
No answer.

I did find King brand springs: same height, lower, or lift for a big price.

The dealer parts man said I could use the springs I have, if not uneven or saggy. If true, I can get nice Monroe struts and fit the used springs I have.

I will replace the sleeves and rubber components for the struts.

..so if no problem using the springs I have, I will do that.

..any comment?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
No answer.

I did find King brand springs: same height, lower, or lift for a big price.

The dealer parts man said I could use the springs I have, if not uneven or saggy. If true, I can get nice Monroe struts and fit the used springs I have.

I will replace the sleeves and rubber components for the struts.

..so if no problem using the springs I have, I will do that.

..any comment?
monroes today are chinese junk in a american box.

KYB is the last good strut and what subaru reboxes.

__

Subaru OEM springs are pretty good. I don't know who makes them, but they are not super expensive to buy either.
@traildogck knows a lot about 2005-2009 suspension. and maybe able to suggest more for older simpler subarus.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
I own Gen3 OBs for a reason, well one of many reasons. Aftermarket Support. The '95-'99 is a tough one. There isn't much that I am aware of, I bet there are some cheap coilovers out there.

Is the rest of this car viable for many miles? You can go the cheap replacement dampers & parts for the Fozzy years mentioned with your springs. Or get KYB dampers (for the same) and get yourself some new springs for the car ... for the OEM route.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own Gen3 OBs for a reason, well one of many reasons. Aftermarket Support. The '95-'99 is a tough one. There isn't much that I am aware of, I bet there are some cheap coilovers out there.

Is the rest of this car viable for many miles? You can go the cheap replacement dampers & parts for the Fozzy years mentioned with your springs. Or get KYB dampers (for the same) and get yourself some new springs for the car ... for the OEM route.
I can use the entire exhaust system as the cats were renoved and short sections of exhaust were cobbled together, it smokes and Montana law requires restoring what was removed is you want a licensed mechanic to touch your car.

FIXD reports the '96 Legacy L wagon O2's are good.

I can use metal portion of the '96 Legacy L wagon for the rear bumper, replace the removed emergency brake, the alternator and small stuff like jockey box cover, driver side visor, and have real spare tires.

My '96 Subaru Outback 2.2 has a rebuild engine, that decided the purchase.

The dealer evaluation before purchase said the rebuild has two vacuum leaks at the cylinder head, indicating where, and said put orange stuff or yellow stuff on it for now, but you will need a rebuild at some point.

He added, the struts will need replacement next year.

I got the $100 '96 Legacy L wagon 2.2 for a parts car.

FIXD shows a #2 cylinder problem of it, so if worth it rebuild it for a remove and replace. If it is a VIN factory problem (#2 cylinder is discussed a lot in this forum) maybe I should have the rebuild on my VIN?

There is a reasonably priced, experienced, Subaru 2.2 rebuilder near.

"Fozzy years"?

Is this "orange stuff"?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
This ^^^^^

Fozzy, Foz = Forester, Sorry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am not finding older than '04 rebuilt struts for sale online. Link?

I do not want a lift. I do not want to tie up brake lines.

I do not want to get an alignment, and changing springs height looks like a paid alignment is required.

If I have to pay for an alignment, I want the OEM numbers. No one here is qualified to make a different alignment other than OEM specifications.

There is a strut spring compressor here. However spacers? Huh?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
I also like the idea of finding a existing used set of a 1996-99 outback,
like something from ebay in minty fresh shape, like one that was put on and then the car was totaled in a wreck.

listed without any lift or lowered ideas,

______

the one thing about the 96-99 outbacks I did not like: how much they leaned,...even worse then that: a gen1 98-02 forester.

not sure how to fix that maybe a with a much bigger rear stabilizer bar or harder springs.

2000 got a multilink rear with a lot more going on with bushings,.

·
Registered
2000 & 2002 Outback Wagon EJ251/Auto + 2004 Outback LL Bean EZ30/Auto + 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ22/5sp + 2008 Outback Wagon EJ253/Auto + 2004 Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. EJ251/Auto (not OB) + 2005 O
162 Posts
I am looking into getting replacement struts and found KYB's website very informative. The catalog contains the min/max heights, and the resulting travel for different sets of struts.

Play around with various Outback and Forester models and you can get an ideal of what to go with. They do have stock ones for my car (96 Legacy OBW AWD EJ22 w/MT). You can even search by Vehicle VIN. Click on the strut part numbers that it recommends and then click on the attributes. Takes a bit of digging, but very informative IMHO. :)

https://www.kyb.com/catalog

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
I am looking into getting replacement struts and found KYB's website very informative. The catalog contains the min/max heights, and the resulting travel for different sets of struts.

Play around with various Outback and Forester models and you can get an ideal of what to go with. They do have stock ones for my car (96 Legacy OBW AWD EJ22 w/MT). You can even search by Vehicle VIN. Click on the strut part numbers that it recommends and then click on the attributes. Takes a bit of digging, but very informative IMHO. :)

https://www.kyb.com/catalog
ralitek is expensive, sometimes bizarrely expensive,

but catalogs of parts like that make it easy when they list the offerings in plus and minus inches, for people going up and down, and zero difference things for people that are interested in keeping it as is.

and someone can copy their specs and build different and cheaper.

https://www.rallitek.com/

Reactions: Cajun Aggie

·
Registered
12 Posts
KYB and Rallitek are for a "rally" car.

I have had a TR3 with Pirelli recommended tires, a VW GTI/Cabrolet build I put together to pass the California smog referee.. I even had a BMW 535i.

My '96 Subaru Legacy Outback carries my Old Town Loon original, thank you very much.

..still looking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts