Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
197 Posts
Replied in another thread as well, but noticed similar handling improvements as 2020XT. Maybe not quite as much as I don't have as much weight up front, but it did stiffen things up. I also have the Perrin steering dampener lockdown, and a 19mm rear sway bar. Have yet to install new stiffened sway bar bushings and the transmission insert. Overall though, have noticed good improvements.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R
233 Posts
I am a bit confused. What deficiency does this fix? There seem to be so many other areas that need improvement.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I am a bit confused. What deficiency does this fix? There seem to be so many other areas that need improvement.
it's mostly feedback/road feel... the entire chassis can act as a "spring", and depending on the car you will get more, or less feedback from the steering, so when you are close to the limit of traction it will be difficult to tell when you are at that limit. The bar stops some of the flex, and the point where the traction limit is reached is more predictable. . Nice on a track, especially with an older car.

one of the last things I'd do to mine, if I were still doing this sort of stuff to my daily drivers.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Coming from a WRX, I miss the high precision and nimble feel. I know that the Outback will never be a WRX but anything that nudges the suspension towards crisper handling would be appreciated for me as long as it didn't sacrifice ground clearance etc. I don't think it will objectively improve "performance" but for me, the feeling of precision makes driving much more enjoyable and if these inexpensive bars do that, then it would make my ownership experience that much better.

To that end my plans are for a stiffer rear sway bar if/when it's available first, but since none are available this strut tower bar is attractive to take a small step in the right direction. Later on I would put in stiffer shocks, like bilsteins, and tires with sportier handling, like Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV summer tires. Maybe stiffer king springs. Maybe @traildogck bushings and transmission insert.

The Outback is really a wonder of compromise between utility, on-and-off road all-weather capability, supple ride, decent handling, great emergency maneuverability, etc. For some, they want to push it towards better off-road prowess, but for me, I want to push it towards better on-road handling while maintaining all-weather capability and ability to handle potholes and deteriorating roads such with grace.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
619 Posts
I want to push it towards better on-road handling while maintaining all-weather capability and ability to handle potholes and deteriorating roads such with grace.
This is what I’m trying to achieve, better or the best on-road performance . I currently have the SSD strut brace and a 20mm RSB. I’ve had those both in for 10k on so(have 46k on the car). I’m to the point where I’m considering RSR springs which will sacrifice an inch of ground clearance for a sportier/firmer ride or staying at stock height and awaiting the shocks to wear out and replace with bilsteins. I’m still on OEM tires(2nd set) so maybe a better pair would really improve the overall handling but not sure I buy into tires making a world of difference.

·
Registered
2017 3.6r white
43 Posts
Let me know if anyone is interested in purchasing an oem Sti front strut brace. I had one shipped from Japan when I picked out my 2017 outback. I'm trading it in next week for a 2020 xt so I'll be taking it off the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Let me know if anyone is interested in purchasing an oem Sti front strut brace. I had one shipped from Japan when I picked out my 2017 outback. I'm trading it in next week for a 2020 xt so I'll be taking it off the car.
Hi @muraaby just checking if your STI front strut brace is still available and if it's compatible with the 2016 Outback. Please DM the details and what your asking for. I was considering the Nameless brand but will consider oem.

·
Registered
Old: '13 Focus St ::: New: '18 3.6 Ltd in white
52 Posts
not sure I buy into tires making a world of difference.
Late to the convo, but ooooooh man can tires make a world of difference.
When I swap from my summers (Pilot Super Sports) to my winters, I practically have to re-learn how to corner. It's THAT big a difference.
I'll never cheap out on tires again.

Anyone actually notice a difference in handling with the Strut Tower Brace installed? I'm inclined to do it because I'm used to such a tighter ride and anything will help...

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Late to the convo, but ooooooh man can tires make a world of difference.
When I swap from my summers (Pilot Super Sports) to my winters, I practically have to re-learn how to corner. It's THAT big a difference.
I'll never cheap out on tires again.

Anyone actually notice a difference in handling with the Strut Tower Brace installed? I'm inclined to do it because I'm used to such a tighter ride and anything will help...
In my 2020 Outback it made the steering more precise but it's not like a night and day difference the way different tires can make. I would do it again with the Nameless brace.

I also plan to get Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV summer tires when the OEM tires are worn, and put on a slightly stiffer rear sway bar, and stiffer shocks if they become available.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts