Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 98 Legacy GT Wagon, 2.5 AT ~152k

A few weeks ago, my sister's Legacy threw a knock sensor code. I replaced the sensor and cleared the code (probably didn't need to clear the code, regretting that now). She's driven it over 500 miles since and no codes have come back, but the OBDII state is still "not ready," and it looks like Catalyst and EVAP are what's hanging it up. She needs to get it inspected again within 60 days. I've driven it through Subaru's recommended cycle (50 MPH right away for so long, 55 after that, no sudden stops/accelerations, etc.) and she has done some very similar driving to that as well.

Shouldn't they have set within 500 miles? Any tips or tricks? I'm hesitant to reset it again in case it's just going to take it a while--don't really want to start from the beginning in that case.

Any input would be great!

Thanks!

·
Registered
18,870 Posts
They should have set within 500 miles, but that might not be the only criterion.

For my 07, in order for the evap monitor to initiate its tests, not only must the car be driven in a certain way (cruising, time) but the fuel level must also be between 3/4 and 1/4 full. So, 500 miles of use made up of numerous, relatively short, slow speed city trips will bring the tank from full to empty, but not trigger the monitor test because the requirement for continuous, cruising at higher speeds isn't satisfied. Similarly, 50 miles of highway cruising with the tank above 3/4 or less than 1/4, also won't initiate the test.

Not sure if the 98 has the same requirements, but I would imagine there's some similarities.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
I too would suggest more driving first. Take it out and visit a relative, go the mountains or the water, make sure it a a long drive (hours with out major stops). Dump another tank of gas down it and don't focus on getting the "perfect conditions." If it still doesn't reset, report back.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would try more general driving. Are you only driving it at 50 mph?
In addition to the highway driving, she's gone back and forth to school and work, which involves some stop-and-go and speeds only up to about 45.

They should have set within 500 miles, but that might not be the only criterion.

For my 07, in order for the evap monitor to initiate its tests, not only must the car be driven in a certain way (cruising, time) but the fuel level must also be between 3/4 and 1/4 full. So, 500 miles of use made up of numerous, relatively short, slow speed city trips will bring the tank from full to empty, but not trigger the monitor test because the requirement for continuous, cruising at higher speeds isn't satisfied. Similarly, 50 miles of highway cruising with the tank above 3/4 or less than 1/4, also won't initiate the test.

Not sure if the 98 has the same requirements, but I would imagine there's some similarities.
Hmmmm...I wonder if the fact that her gas gauge is horribly inaccurate has anything to do with it. Not sure what causes it, but it tends to read high all the time. I've never seen it go below 3/4 of a tank. She just ignores the gauge and goes by miles on her trip counter.

I too would suggest more driving first. Take it out and visit a relative, go the mountains or the water, make sure it a a long drive (hours with out major stops). Dump another tank of gas down it and don't focus on getting the "perfect conditions." If it still doesn't reset, report back.
I'll have to check it again tonight. She's probably gone around 50-100 more miles since my first post. I would take it back and forth to work myself a few days (I often have to do a lot of driving between buildings) and let her drive mine, but she won't hear of that.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
I'll have to check it again tonight. She's probably gone around 50-100 more miles since my first post. I would take it back and forth to work myself a few days (I often have to do a lot of driving between buildings) and let her drive mine, but she won't hear of that.
Well, maybe if you cleaned your car she might feel different. :p Just joking!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, maybe if you cleaned your car she might feel different. :p Just joking!
More like maybe she's terrified of what would happen if she got it dirty! I'm a little bit obsessive about keeping it clean--I vacuum and wax it constantly.

I would think driving a 2004 LL Bean would be a nice trade up for a few days :D. Hers is fun to drive, but that's partially ruined by the fact that it's totally gutless compared to mine. Plus, I really hate how low to the ground it is.

I just got home and don't feel like checking it right now. I will soon and will report back.

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
I know other manufacturers say it can take up to 1000 miles for all monitors to be ready.
But I do know my car was full ready in under 100. Some just like to take their sweet time?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,349 Posts
yeah, I think some of them take 40 drive cycles???, and some evap stuff has multiple parameters as mentioned; temperature, fuel volume, etc.

interesting thread actually.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
bare with me, this won't make sense until you read it all, it will seem unrelated at first. there is a certain year EJ that is exempt from the "not ready" monitors because they essentially always say "not ready". i *think* it's 1996, but given your bizarre situation i would double check.

*** EDIT*** i looked it up since this is a one year specific issue i'm familiar with... it is 1996 as i thought. ALL 1996 Subaru engines are exempt due to this issue, for instance:
http://vehicletest.state.ma.us/about_obd_exemptions.html

also - 1996 EJ25's are a direct plug and play swap into your vehicle so it's possible that your 1998 could have the "not ready" infected components from the years that do - the engine or ECU. given the number of EJ25 vehicles that don't have their original engines, due to propensity for these motors to need swapped (headgasket and rod bearing failures), it's not that hard to imagine. it is common to swap the ECU with a motor swap to, though it's unnecessary on this swap.

and since these failures were happening from the beginning, 10 and 15 years ago, there's no way to no unless you have owned it from day one. although the 96 EJ25 does have some visual differences eventhough it's the same engine.

*** if you suspect this to be the case, all you need to do is simply swap in any 1997-1998 EJ25 ECU into yours. they're cheap and it takes 10 minutes to swap. could get one from car-parts.com or in the classifieds here, i'm sure i even have one probably. $35 - $50 tops.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bare with me, this won't make sense until you read it all, it will seem unrelated at first. there is a certain year EJ that is exempt from the "not ready" monitors because they essentially always say "not ready". i *think* it's 1996, but given your bizarre situation i would double check.

*** EDIT*** i looked it up since this is a one year specific issue i'm familiar with... it is 1996 as i thought. ALL 1996 Subaru engines are exempt due to this issue, for instance:
Massachusetts Vehicle Check

also - 1996 EJ25's are a direct plug and play swap into your vehicle so it's possible that your 1998 could have the "not ready" infected components from the years that do - the engine or ECU. given the number of EJ25 vehicles that don't have their original engines, due to propensity for these motors to need swapped (headgasket and rod bearing failures), it's not that hard to imagine. it is common to swap the ECU with a motor swap to, though it's unnecessary on this swap.

and since these failures were happening from the beginning, 10 and 15 years ago, there's no way to no unless you have owned it from day one. although the 96 EJ25 does have some visual differences eventhough it's the same engine.

*** if you suspect this to be the case, all you need to do is simply swap in any 1997-1998 EJ25 ECU into yours. they're cheap and it takes 10 minutes to swap. could get one from car-parts.com or in the classifieds here, i'm sure i even have one probably. $35 - $50 tops.
According to the state's vehicle test site, it should pass with two "not ready" indicators since it is a '98. I'm guessing that it failed before because 3+ weren't ready. I'll have to look at her report if she has it, and I'll check it again next chance I get.

She's the third owner of the car. The second owner replaced the head gaskets at about 80k, I think (have the paperwork from the dealer that did it somewhere around here), but never swapped the engine. It's possible that the first owner did, but if it was done it would have been done at a fairly low mileage. I suppose it's definitely possible.

She's doing a fairly long trip with it today (a lot longer than her daily drives are anyway), so we'll see if there are any changes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts