Subaru Outback Forums banner

Stumped

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  8kGoodENuff 
#1 ·
Alright here is the specifics - 1996 OBW recent tune up (last 500 miles) new plugs, wires, fuel filter, both O2 sensors and knock sensor and seafoam engine and fuel treatment. Had a slight miss/hesitation especially before the engine warms up before the tune up. Thought it would take care of it. After tune up - same thing. Here is the bad part. Before the tune up 257 miles on a tank - hwy driving at 60mph. Now I am at 1/4 tank left and at only 189 miles. I checked the tires all same size and inflation. I am going to change the diff fluid and see what that does - but this miss/hesitation is killing me. This is my first subaru so I am almost at an end point at what to do. The only other things I can think of are an ignition coil on it's way out or MAF? What about a leaky injector or something? Any thoughts from the guru's?

#3 ·
i take it the cel is not on ? if it is , you need to pull the codes.

i'm guessing the mileage is related to the miss so i'd concentrate on that for now.

seems like the car is going in to limp mode.

like suggested,

clean maf,

check tps is functioning correctly,

could be clogged inj, bad inj wire connection

shorting coil

burned valve or just way out of adjustment

bad coolant temp sensor

bad knock sensor

stuck pcv valve

let us know if there are any codes

#5 ·
Make sure your running premium. Some of you guys may think i'm wrong but i also have a 96 and yes it makes a difference but only in 96. My car wouldn't even have power to get out of the driveway when i put regular gas in it, it would stall, miss, barely run and even backfire. I put put premium back in it and it's been fine since.

#7 ·
I noticed in my chrysler that when i run premium i get about 4 more miles to the gallon so thats like a 20% increase, and the difference between 2.60 a gallon for regular and 2.90 a gallon for premium is 11%. so in theory its cheaper for me to run premium in my chrysler. But its tuned to run on premium and its better for the feul system anyway so i run premium in everything. Not sure on mileage difference in subaru yet, just started driving it again for winter

and if you check your manual the 1996 2.5l models are required to run Premium. Yes us 96 guys had to run premium but still had 10 less hp than the 97-99 models that run regular gas.

#8 ·
So I am trying to concentrate on the engine and listening to hear if I hear something out of the ordinary and while I am driving - with the cruise crontrol off - I hear alot of clicking underneath the kickpanel, dash area. When it clicks I can notice a difference in how the engine is running. I wonder if the cpu is going out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.