Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5l EJ25D
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been hearing that its a rather common problem but I can never seem to find information on how to fix it. My rear hatch on my 97 is stuck closed and acts locked but wont unlock when I use the key or whether I use the power lock switch. This is really unfortunate because I use it for grocery runs and with my sons car seat I cant jerry the seat enough to get my groceries in

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
lots and lots and lots of WD40 may help, let it sit, and then try turning the key., or you will have to crawl and get at the mechanism from the inside with WD40. sometimes on these ice and frost get in the mechanisms and at the rubber gasket around the hatch making the only, or augmenting a mechanical problem.

_____

my sedan currently has a physically busted key lock and a busted cable to open the trunk, (so "I feel your pain")
presently I open it with a broom stick through the back seat pass through to the glow in the dark emergency handle.

...and at least the emergency handle works today vs. me tearing into it and getting half a fix as its so cold to be trying.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill give that a try and hope it works. I think just the latch itself is broke but with engine troubles it seemed moot to fix the rear door and not the engine. but now that I figured out what was wrong with the engine after I fix it i can focus on the little things.

Once I get my girlfriend an automatic i can start beefing up my 97 nightmare. 3" lift, turbo, roll cage a little bigger tires. making it the family adventure car as well as my daily driver

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,212 Posts
Ill give that a try and hope it works. I think just the latch itself is broke but with engine troubles it seemed moot to fix the rear door and not the engine. but now that I figured out what was wrong with the engine after I fix it i can focus on the little things.

Once I get my girlfriend an automatic i can start beefing up my 97 nightmare. 3" lift, turbo, roll cage a little bigger tires. making it the family adventure car as well as my daily driver
only tools missing something actually buy a turbo to put on a EJ25D subaru.
(turbo or not, its the worst engine the company ever made in the past 50 years)..

if you want a turbo subaru, buy one with a dead engine in it already and put a bench built one or a JDM in to replace it.
this is cheap and easy compared to trying and failing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
common miscon they are actually really good motors if taken care of well. and they do actually make a turbo kit for it max at 7psi which is the safe level of boost for a 10:1 comp ratio, but the hardest part is finding it. and these motors can be built for upwards of 800hp but once you pass a certain threshold they will fail but to compensate for this you need forged internals and a better crank. but the threshold is around 400hp. Ill post a website that I found the info for my disagreement but most of the good and bad comes from user preference and failure.

The Truth Behind The Subaru EJ-Series Engines - Tech-Knowledge - Import Tuner Magazine

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,192 Posts
Had almost the same issue with my '96. I think it came about when the mechanic I was using tried to lock the hatch while the sticky handle was stuck in the 'open' position.

Had to pull off the interior panel and tug on one of the locking rods until it moved the latch into the unlocked position ( if i remember correctly, anyway), and it worked fine after that.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,212 Posts
common miscon they are actually really good motors if taken care of well. and they do actually make a turbo kit for it max at 7psi which is the safe level of boost for a 10:1 comp ratio, but the hardest part is finding it. and these motors can be built for upwards of 800hp but once you pass a certain threshold they will fail but to compensate for this you need forged internals and a better crank. but the threshold is around 400hp. Ill post a website that I found the info for my disagreement but most of the good and bad comes from user preference and failure.

The Truth Behind The Subaru EJ-Series Engines - Tech-Knowledge - Import Tuner Magazine

and they are typing of all EJs from 1990-now (last of them being in STI), and not abused 3 year mistake turd EJ25D,
....seems all the pics there and discussion is about turbos from the factory EJ205, EJ255, and EJ257.

whole lot of threads here from 2004- now, from 17 year old boys start it with vague notions of head gaskets on EJ25D,
and they ask about putting a turbo on it with dads wallet,

or seeing some thing from a expert builder on NAISOC or RS25.com about taking one and doing it as a drag car, BUT they are doing a whole lot of work, for a whole lot of time, and a whole lot of money, and then ultra custom tune it,...and they drive it for a total of 90 days and then it craps out, and they tell no one on the face of the earth, as all their work is gone but for the surviving parts.

....vs. just buying a turbo car.

and I actually drove next to the subacabra LGT once. (I don't think thats been on the road in one piece in years)..

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/85-all-other-subaru-models/107961-subacabra-665whp-581wtq.html

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vague notions of head gaskets on EJ25D,
The head gasket issue was poor plumbing on subaru's part. it lacked a bypass with the coolant crossover causing the head gasket to expand from excessive coolant leaking into the heads. I know this because I have built a bypass into my friends EJ25D in his 02 outback and he has had the same head gaskets on the thing for almost 6yrs. I was planning on doing it on mine and never got around to it because stuff keeps breaking on mine. and yes i do plan on just buying a turbo car but its gonna be a porsche 924. something my kid wont be completely shamed by when taking him to school. but i want my subie to be for offroad purposes and I would need a bit more power for my plans.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had almost the same issue with my '96. I think it came about when the mechanic I was using tried to lock the hatch while the sticky handle was stuck in the 'open' position.

Had to pull off the interior panel and tug on one of the locking rods until it moved the latch into the unlocked position ( if i remember correctly, anyway), and it worked fine after that.
thanks for the info. ill give this a try.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And no im not disagreeing that it is the worst motor they made but I like doing something that not many people succeed at. many try but few succeed.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,212 Posts
The head gasket issue was poor plumbing on subaru's part. it lacked a bypass with the coolant crossover causing the head gasket to expand from excessive coolant leaking into the heads. I know this because I have built a bypass into my friends EJ25D in his 02 outback and he has had the same head gaskets on the thing for almost 6yrs. I was planning on doing it on mine and never got around to it because stuff keeps breaking on mine. and yes i do plan on just buying a turbo car but its gonna be a porsche 924. something my kid wont be completely shamed by when taking him to school. but i want my subie to be for offroad purposes and I would need a bit more power for my plans.

2002 legacy outbacks came with SOHC EJ251 automatic, or SOHC Ej252 manual,

and not DOHC Ej25D (such were 96-99 only)

I think I would like a subaru SVX a whole lot more then a porsche 924

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2002 legacy outbacks came with SOHC EJ251 automatic, or SOHC Ej252 manual,

and not DOHC Ej25D (such were 96-99 only)

I think I would like a subaru SVX a whole lot more then a porsche 924
much to my disliking my friend swapped it in because he blew the original motor and found a cheap EJ25D to put in. I scolded him for such and then helped him make his mistake a tad better.

and yes the SVX was a very good vehicle but I am of very strong german heritage and have always wanted to be the first of my friends to own a porsche and specially a classic (within my price range and logic) id love the first gen 911 but i can spend that much on the car. That and I love porsche as much as my dear little subie.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,212 Posts
much to my disliking my friend swapped it in because he blew the original motor and found a cheap EJ25D to put in. I scolded him for such and then helped him make his mistake a tad better.

and yes the SVX was a very good vehicle but I am of very strong german heritage and have always wanted to be the first of my friends to own a porsche and specially a classic (within my price range and logic) id love the first gen 911 but i can spend that much on the car. That and I love porsche as much as my dear little subie.
just looking under the 924 hood looks tight for mods and easy fun work.

might be able to find a 928 with no or a dead V8 in it for the same money, and put subaru power to it, ...or a ford/gm V8 of similar size.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just looking under the 924 hood looks tight for mods and easy fun work.
This is true. they are very tight for mods but I was planning dropping some beefier motor. probably a stroked and bored v6 with a weiand roots supercharger on it with a straight pipe. turning it into a little drift/ drag car.. with the capability of daily driver too. lol not trying to get another car only to not be able to drive it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts