Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last august (a year ago) I got an outback 2011 3.6R Premium. I love the car. Runs well, handles our baby and dog great. Plenty of space (though I am amazed at how much room baby stuff takes up!)

I jsut got an oil change. Being we have a baby(8n months) I have very little spare time to change the oil so I took it to Jiffy Lube here in Gaithersburg, MD.
$212!!!
I checked to see if I could do it myself cheaper but the oil itself is like $60! I did not realize this was so expensive! So now I am looking and doing research on whether it is worth it. We are tight on cash. Other than this issue I love the car and would recommend it to anyone. I do 60 miles a day, mostly highway but also about town here and I am getting 23mpg average. on long trips I get 30mpg with cruise control. But if I were city only I'd be getting about 18.

Any tips on how to save money on oil/filters? And yes I am doing a lot of reading on the forums. There is some very technical stuff I do not understand. Something about leeching solicone and iron ppm. I dunno.:confused:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Last august (a year ago) I got an outback 2011 3.6R Premium. I love the car. Runs well, handles our baby and dog great. Plenty of space (though I am amazed at how much room baby stuff takes up!)

I jsut got an oil change. Being we have a baby(8n months) I have very little spare time to change the oil so I took it to Jiffy Lube here in Gaithersburg, MD.
$212!!!
I checked to see if I could do it myself cheaper but the oil itself is like $60! I did not realize this was so expensive! So now I am looking and doing research on whether it is worth it. We are tight on cash. Other than this issue I love the car and would recommend it to anyone. I do 60 miles a day, mostly highway but also about town here and I am getting 23mpg average. on long trips I get 30mpg with cruise control. But if I were city only I'd be getting about 18.

Any tips on how to save money on oil/filters? And yes I am doing a lot of reading on the forums. There is some very technical stuff I do not understand. Something about leeching solicone and iron ppm. I dunno.:confused:
$212 on an oil change? 6.7 quarts of synthetic oil does not cost $60, even at store-bought markup prices--hopefully you got synthetic for this price.

This thread where everyone thinks $150 for an oil change is outrageous was for a 2.5i, but 2.3 quarts of oil is maybe a $12 maximum difference (the 2.5i takes ~4.4 quarts): http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/49563-150-oil-change.html

Simply put, you've been had.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
^^^ what he said.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The 3.6 is like 9 quarts right? Regardless oil change should be less than $100 always!!!

Find a local shop willing to do your oil changes. You should be some place in the $60 range for most quality local shops for full synthetic quality oil.

Not to cause a fight but if money is so tight not sure what the logic was on getting the 3.6 given the 2.5 would have saved you several thousand on the purchase price and is slightly cheaper to service. Any car today is going to have maint costs regardless

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing