Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1998 Subaru Legacy at 237,000 finally bit the dust. But it was not the 2.2 liter engine's fault (did not burn any oil between 3,000 mile oil changes). What did her in was a bad gas line leak above the fuel tank. It would be over $500 to repair her, and the car also had soft rockers from 20 years driving in northeast winters with all the snow and salt. It NEVER let me down, and I got to say it was the best car I ever own for reliable daily driving. My guess is if I had not run it ragged in the winters here it would be still going in a more southern climate. I did buy a 2011 Rav 4 at my local dealer as I needed a car right off. The Rav 4 was rust free and in good condition for my price range, though would have looked at an Outback/Forester but none was available at the time (live in a rural area unfortunately). There was an Impreza, but a bit too small. Maybe next car will be a Subaru Outback or Forester again in a few years. Anyways, the generation 1 models seemed well made. No head gasket issues, so was lucky.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,171 Posts

·
Registered
Newest- 05 OB 2.5 XT Silver * 94 Loyale Teal * 90 Legacy L Silver * 81 DL Silver (of course)
18 Posts
I think you need to be an electrician to work on the new ones! I just got a 2005 OB XT Ltd, changed the plugs and now it won't start so I'm driving the 1990 Legacy L that has 322K miles. She getting kinda rusty but still gets around great in snow.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru BRZ turbo 1998 Subaru Legacy GT
81 Posts
Second Gen (legacy 1st gen outback) is the best gen ;)
-Owner of a 1998 LGT chassis with 80k miles, zero rust, and 320k+ engine still going

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback, 2008 Outback
25 Posts
i have a 1999 w almost same mileage that i just sunk $3,000 in
fixing headgaskets, brakes and a few other things. i'm hoping to
get another 100,000 miles or 5 years from her ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts