Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about purchasing a 2012 Subaru 2012 Outback 3.6 Limited. Any known problems with that specific model?

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,061 Posts
I purchased our 2013 3.6R in early November 2015 after nearly a year of research. I wanted the best bang-for-the-buck SUV to fit our particular needs. My research pointed me to the 3.6R engine mated to the 5EAT transmission. That is exactly what I bought (at 25,500 miles). The vehicle now has 37,300 miles. Other than a new set of General Altimax RT43 tires last December, all I have done is routine maintenance. It did have a minor recall to replace a shield on the windshield wiper motor assembly earlier this year. No big deal. This vehicle has done everything we have asked it to do in all sorts of weather conditions including ice and snow.

As additional insurance against premature transmission failure, I do a simple ATF drain-and-fill every 30,000 miles using Subaru HP ATF. About $7 per quart at my local dealership. I get between 4.5 and 5 quarts out of it during the ATF pan drain, so that's about $35 per drain-and-fill procedure. Money and time well spent because fresh ATF is always a beneficial decision. There is no such animal as "lifetime fluid".

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Limited
6 Posts
I have a 2011 at 140,000 miles. Purchased at 134,000, haven't had a single problem with it since. Very solid machine.

·
Registered
2012,Outback,3.6r
38 Posts
I purchased a used 2012 3.6r 4yrs ago and am very pleased with my purchase, 111,000 miles so far, no major problems to report. In fact, have not had to replace the brake pads yet, incredible. Slight oil consumption, about 1qt/3000 miles,but I believe this is somewhat typical for the 4<sup>th</sup> gen outback. I did the research when looking for my vehicle, and concluded the 3.6r outback was the best all-around choice for practicality and performance. Good luck!

VAGator

·
Registered
177 Posts
Our 2012 3.6 Limited has had zero problems since bought new. It only has about 60k miles though.

Ours also has the wiper motor cover recall but that has never been a pressing matter for us.

John

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Limited
24 Posts
We have a 2011 3.6 Limited purchased new. 51K miles and so far only routine maintenance. I had the brake fluid changed as recommended at 30K, replaced the battery twice (once under warranty at 2 years and then again last fall before winter), and replaced the tires at about 45K. And had to replace the little pneumatic hood support struts this spring. We usually get 27 mpg on the road and average about 22 overall in mostly local driving. I change the oil every 5K using Mobil 1 and have had zero oil consumption problems.

·
Registered
2012, OUtback Limited 3.6R. All options except Navi. Green Cypress
31 Posts
We bought 2012 new.
60k miles~, few fender benders, vehicle is great.
Any issues I had, warranty sorted out.

One thing that amazes me.... all kinds of bulbs keep popping like mad! Mostly tail and stop lights...

·
Registered
2012 3.6R
19 Posts
My 2012 3.6, bought new, now has 75K miles and had no problems. I don't even have to add any oil between 7.5k mile oil changes using Mobil1. I replaced tires at 52k miles and had a brake fluid flush at 60k miles. No issues.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,853 Posts
I am thinking the OP bought a Maxima,...or a harley davidson,...and is enjoying one wheel drive either way.

Reactions: John of Ark

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6 Limited
64 Posts
I bought a 2013 3.6 about 8 months ago now. It had about 55,000 miles on it when I got it and a few months after bringing it home I had a problem where the low oil pressure light came on and stayed on. SOA did handle it though and they had to pull the motor and do some repairs (replaced some bearings) but I think it was just a weird fluke. I love the car.

·
Registered
2012 ob 3.6; 47k mi. at 1.5 yr.
50 Posts
Bought the 2012 OB 3.6 new have had Mobil1 in it since break in period. Nothing but routine maintenance and fluids. At 131,000 just now starting to use 1/2 quart between 7000 mi oil changes.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
50 Posts
2012 3.6R with 140K on mostly highway miles. Adding 1/2 qt engine oil every OCI period of 5K. Replaced radiator last month (leak at bottom where plastic meets metal - of course). Great car, engine, AT transmission. Hope to run it past 250K.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts