Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Limited OB with Eyesight, Ice Silver
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the cargo pet gate for my 2013 OB. The OB is the best car I ever owned, so far getting over 30MPG and it handles great on the muddy dirt roads down here in south Louisiana. Just passed 4000 miles with 1 oil change. Bought the cargo divider from the dealership with a good discount but wonder how hard it is to remove if you need to put down the back seat for extra cargo. I have 2 German Shepherds, around 90 lbs apiece, that I want to travel safely in the back. But how difficult is it to take down if you need the space? I didn't install it yet because after reading the install directions, it doesn't look easy to remove. Also, can the rubber mat stay in place with the cargo cage installed? Any advice if greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,140 Posts
Sorry to be of little help but I am interested to find out the answer. I drive a 1997 and my barrier goes in and comes out easily which is no indication of how the 2013 is, but I hope to buy a 2013 and continue using a barrier so it would be interesting to hear. My mat stays in place, but the cargo cover cannot, nor any tether for a child seat.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
The instructions are the worst thing about the barrier. Once you have "built" it and seen how to install it you will be able to easily remove it. The rubber mat is not a problem. One note, two 90# dogs will fit but they will not be able to lay out flat on their sides. We had two Akita's 80#&100# and they just fit. The barrier sits a bit rearward from the back seat and is also tilted even further to the rear. The center seatbelt "window" sticks out to the rear and my guys were always bumping their noses on it. More on that below.

There are four attachment points. Two in the wheelwell tie downs and two in the ceiling. The two in the wheelwell are thumbscrews with the ceiling requiring a 10mm socket. I went to Sears and bought a 10mm nut-driver to carry in the car instead of a socket/wrench. Much easier.

It was easier for me to build it outside the car and then ease it in. Make sure part# L is clipped in the same as the picture with the threaded side facing up. (steps 10-12) Those clips are loose and can move around a bit and can cause frustration when trying the attach the brace arms in step 15&16. Once you have done it a couple of times it's much easier to do.

Once you have assembled and removed the barrier it's really only a 4-5 minute job.

After using mine a while I decided the factory position took up too much space in the cargo area. I ended up not using the front posts to attach it to the wheelwells. I never use the center seat belt so I turned the barrier around so the pop-out was facing forward. I pressed the bottom of the barrier against the rear seat and attached it with "S" hooks to the outside headrest posts. It is rock solid and way easier to remove than factory. Much more space and no scratched noses. This may not work for you YMMV.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
132 Posts
OBnube, any pics. I am definitely getting one to keep my dogs secure. I was concerned there was not enough room in the stock position.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
OBnube, any pics. I am definitely getting one to keep my dogs secure. I was concerned there was not enough room in the stock position.
Here are a couple of factory install pic. You can see where the seatbelt "basket" sticks out rearward. I can't seem to find my alternate install pics right now. I have to resize everything to upload to this site and can't remember where I put them.:gasp: I'll try and get them up later today.

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

The floor mount pic doesn't show much and is mounted over a Canvasback liner. It does show how far rearward from the back seat it mounts. The top of the barrier leans back even further. That's why I changed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Outstanding ob. Is this the subaru model? Best price?

Thanks, this really helped me see the actual fit. I have a generic in my honda. It is going with the Crv when the time comes.

Kudos
Patrick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll install it backwards too, no kids and no need for the center seat.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Outstanding ob. Is this the subaru model? Best price?

Thanks, this really helped me see the actual fit. I have a generic in my honda. It is going with the Crv when the time comes.

Kudos
Patrick
Yep, I paid $300 at my local dealer. Haven't priced one since early 2011. Check out Canvasback Liners. IMO a must for people with dogs.
Canvasback Custom Cargo Liners Home Page

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'll install it backwards too, no kids and no need for the center seat.
Here is a pic of the reverse install. I folded a bath towel and laid it against the top of the seat to protect the leather from possible snags or rub marks. It also keeps the slobber off. If you look real close on the left headrest where the innermost support post is I took some #12 black insulated electrical wire and fashioned an S hook (a few wraps on the barrier & headrest post) to fasten the two together. Just pull out the headrest and the barrier is loose in the front. Very simple. I also tucked the bottom flanges under the canvasback liner. Thought it looked cleaner. It's surprising how much more room there is now. Also does not interfere with raising the headrests.

Automotive exterior

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dog Guard/Cargo Separator

I have been meaning to post this to the classified area, but I'll mention it here first. We bought a new 2013 Outback about six months ago and got this dog guard to install later. We decided not to use it. It is brand new in the box and I will sell it quite reasonably. It is in a large box, so shipping may be an issue. I live in Central Virginia.

Anyone interested?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Your post is probably going to get lost in this thread. Try posting in the classified area. You'll get a lot more eyes on it. I don't think you'll have much trouble selling it. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been meaning to post this to the classified area, but I'll mention it here first. We bought a new 2013 Outback about six months ago and got this dog guard to install later. We decided not to use it. It is brand new in the box and I will sell it quite reasonably. It is in a large box, so shipping may be an issue. I live in Central Virginia.

Anyone interested?
I know this is a long shot, but... Is the pet barrier still for sale?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Installed the barrier with no problems, just wish I wasn't 6'2"! You do have to get into some awkward positions at times but it went fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.