Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
626 Posts
Pull dipstick, read it, (and manual) for directions. Check level. Use long funnel to fit into dip stick tube. Fill as needed.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,348 Posts
You don't have an automatic in a 2017. You have a CVT. No dipstick. Why do you think you need to add fluid?

·
Registered
outback 2017
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
made a mistake and drained it how do i put fluid back in found the link on google search very helpful thank you

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
This was common during the 4EAT days when people would drain the ATF and the refill the still full engine with 4 more quarts of oil. Eventually Subaru changed the transmission drain plug from a 17mm bolt head to a T70 Torx bit. Looks like they need to do that again with the CVT

·
Registered
2013, outback 2.5 premium with 6-speed manual
13 Posts
I made the same mistake on accidentally draining CVT fluid. Can anyone answer on how to fill it back in?

·
Registered
2013, outback 2.5 premium with 6-speed manual
13 Posts
I tried topping off the high torque CVT last year with no luck.

You're supposed to open the crank case and fill to the top line.

https://subaru.oemdtc.com/323/wqu-5...eal-failure-2015-2016-subaru-legacy-outback/5

A factory manual is available here.
Thank you! Do you happen to know if it's the same for 2017 outback? I see the same plug on my car but it seems rather low to the pan and I am curious how all the fluid that came out would go back in?? I carefully measured all that got drained and it came to 4.5 quarts. Does this seem correct?

Thanks again!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,281 Posts
Thank you! Do you happen to know if it's the same for 2017 outback? I see the same plug on my car but it seems rather low to the pan and I am curious how all the fluid that came out would go back in?? I carefully measured all that got drained and it came to 4.5 quarts. Does this seem correct?

Thanks again!
It's the same 2015-2019 to the best of my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
602 Posts
There is more in the cooling system and the torque converter but you will likely not get that out without some heroic flushing techniques.

Just by pulling the drain plug you will usually get 4.5 quarts.

There is a different plug, higher up on the CVT, where you refill until the fluid comes out of that plug hole.

An often missed part of the transmission drain/fill procedure is an overflow line that will release about 8cc in to a different area (the bell housing) and you can drain that after you have topped off the CVT.
--------------------
This is a pretty thorough Youtube process of draining (flushing) and refilling the CVT. The only thing he missed was to drop the transmission pan and replace the sump filter and pan gasket.

Reactions: jwrezz and Val V
1 - 10 of 10 Posts