Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Outback 3.6R Limited, '05 Forester
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search and did not see anyone else posting this.

It looks like Subaru will also be launching all-electric vehicles in 2021 but starting in Japan only.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...ce-electric-vehicles-japan-2021/#.WhWcH1WnFhE

Article says that diesels are also going to be phased out so for those of you in Europe and Australia & NZ who want/like the diesel may want to keep an eye out on the phase out date.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,164 Posts
Thanks for the link.

It appears to be kind of a "me to" announcement by Subaru of sorts, having noted everyone is announcing some kind of all-electric car in their future. What this linked article tells me is:

(1) They have not developed anything to date, and know they are behind.
(2) The initial product will not be a ground up redesign, but merely a Legacy or Impreza with a retrofitted electric drive train.
(3) Short term, they'll just buy someone else's drivetrain parts to do this.
(4) Longer term, they might speed things up by joining Toyota and Mazda in their joint development effort (and you know it's an expensive development effort when Toyota has to join ranks with others - they were badly stung 20 years ago on Prius development costs and I'm sure they well remember that).
(5) They'll sacrifice their least-optioned engine - the 2 litre diesel - to finance this effort and focus their energy.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,215 Posts
@Kevin @HeubergerMotors @subaruonlineparts

did subaru say anywhere to people like you what they were bringing to the Detroit Autoshow, January 13-28?

Hybrids, Electrics, 2.4T powered WRX? (if production ready cars, these would be "2019" US model year).

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts

already have made it
goes 700 miles on a charge

wonder if they pulled out some NOS Justy parts? Didn't the Justy get about 54mpg back in the 80's?

Or even better, maybe it has some 360 parts, the 360 got 66mpg in 1971

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
They are doing small micro EVs in Easy markets where crash standards are lax.

This was mentioned some time ago last yr etc.

The new Global platform that the Imprza sits on and the Ascent is set up to accomidate in floor battery capacity. The CVT design supports E power. Most likely the Ascent willbe the first to see it with the 2020 Legacy / OB likely at the same time.

The biggest factor today is the speed at which battery tech is changing and manufacturing cost. By 2020 the weight and space of a decent battery capacity along with cost will make it pretty **** attractive to offer a plugin hybrid model.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts

Didn't the Justy get about 54mpg back in the 80's?

Or even better, maybe it has some 360 parts, the 360 got 66mpg in 1971[/quote]

I had and drove for many a year a 1988 justy front drive with a 5 speed manual (this was the older type with the carb).
typical straight highway I would get about 37mpg on 93 octane. (if I was going 55mph, or 80mph for the whole 7.3 gallon tank)..

I think the best that car ever got was 45mpg when it was brand new. that was the 2nd year of subaru offering them in the USA.
later 1990-92 types with the fuel injection might have done a little better.

I always wished it had one gear more to go to as boy that trans use to roar over 55mph.

I had a 1990 ford 302 work van at the time also. (I think that had 4.11 gears, = Noise, vibration, harshness, = all LOUD too).

[url=http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/two-old-men/2868080]Watch Saturday Night Live Highlight: Two Old Men - NBC.com[/url]

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,657 Posts
I've never seen an electric motor with the boxer layout. Maybe this electric thing is just a rumor. LOL ;)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
I guess the full electrics won't be around till 2021 model year.

planet subaru lists the return of the crosstrek hybrid with a plug here,...in california spec showrooms in november 2018 as a 2019 model:
(so I guess this will be in the detroit autoshow in 9 days??)

https://www.planetsubaru.com/2019-subaru-crosstrek-changes.htm

_______

here are the rest of 2019's prognostications from planet subaru:

2019 outback:
https://www.planetsubaru.com/2019-subaru-outback-changes.htm

2019 legacy:
https://www.planetsubaru.com/2019-subaru-legacy-changes.htm

2019 Forester: (on global platform, no XT this year, and manuals are gone as eyesight is standard).
https://www.planetsubaru.com/2019-subaru-forester-changes.htm
that forester news I put here:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...no-more-manual-foresters-forester-2-0-xt.html

2019 impreza:
https://www.planetsubaru.com/2019-subaru-impreza-changes.htm

2019 WRX /STI, (those in manual trans = no eyesight).
https://www.planetsubaru.com/2019-subaru-wrx-and-sti-changes.htm

2019 snore tastic BRZ,..(no news,)
https://www.planetsubaru.com/2019-subaru-brz-changes.htm

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 CVT Premium
149 Posts
Subaru Plug-in Hybrid

Hi all, I have not posted here in a long time, but I'm back to discuss an issue that concerns me. I now have 85k miles on my Outback, my second Subaru, and I have gotten very interested in EVs (electric vehicles). I wanted to get one of these, I would like to have an AWD EV, but the only AWD EV option is a Tesla Model S, which is out of my budget. Supposedly the Tesla model 3 will be adding this option later this year, so maybe if I wanted to wait a couple of years to be able to actually have one of these delivered, I could get one of those. I like my 2010 Outback very much, but after looking around at EVs, I decided I would buy a plug-in hybrid (EV + gas engine). I decided the plug-in hybrid made more sense than pure EV, as the majority of my driving could be electric but I could still go further than the EV range and the car would switch over to gas and not have to wait for a charge or find a charge station. So I now have a 2018 Chevy Volt. It is a nice car (a little small), it's not AWD and it's not a Subaru, but I can now drive on electric. I still have my outback but I will probably sell it. :crying: I will miss AWD when driving in rain or snow, but I can drive my 4x4 pickup for snow conditions.

I've heard rumors that Subaru will be making some sort of EV next year, not sure if it would be plug-in or pure EV, and if it would have AWD. The Tesla does AWD by having two motors, one on each axle. I'm not sure how Subaru would do EV AWD, if they would have two motors or one motor with transfer case and driveline. It would seem that the two motor method would be the least complicated, and reduce weight to allow more battery weight. Does anyone here know anything about Subaru's plans for this? If they came out with a plug-in hybrid with AWD, that has decent electric range (the Chevy Volt has the longest EV range for a plug-in hybrid, rated at 53 miles), I would be happy to trade-in my Volt on it.

One issue with EVs is cold weather, the battery range goes down, and the heat must be produced by electricity or heat pump. Both of these issues reduce the EV range.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 CVT Premium
149 Posts
Ah yes the prius prime conversion is what I heard about. I drove a prius prime before buying the volt, it was gutless, even smaller than the volt, and the range was too short. I hope subaru does better than that.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
Ah yes the prius prime conversion is what I heard about. I drove a prius prime before buying the volt, it was gutless, even smaller than the volt, and the range was too short. I hope subaru does better than that.

merged your thread with existing thread so no one needs to duplicate post.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,293 Posts
Outback hybrid or fully electric vehicle

This guy should have his azz kicked. Charging stations are for electric vehicles, not for parking and faking it.

Also, I wonder when Subaru will develop hybrids and/or fully electric vehicles?

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
Stick with real cars.
I think GM already has a 'real' electric car. Check out the Chevy Bolt.

238 miles of real range. 0-60 it will smoke any Outback 2.5 or 3.6.

The only thing holding it back is GM itself for not advertising it and a lack of DC fast charging stations nationwide.

I'm thinking about buying a used Kia Soul EV for daily commuting. Used ones (2015 model year) with less than 30K miles for less than $15,000. My place of work recently added a row of free Level II charging stations, so I could basically drive for free to work everyday. Definitely worth considering.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
subaru trademarks "Evoltis" for a single name car, or name group

lots of articles in the past 3 days.

and subaru is not saying if it is a single car, or a group of them like the "Prius, Prius V, Prius C, Prius Prime".

https://jalopnik.com/a-subaru-evoltis-sounds-like-the-name-of-a-medication-w-1825367071

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/17/subaru-trademark-evoltis/

Subaru's advancing to the electrified frontier, and it's reportedly picking a name for its plug-in hybrid. That name is said to be "Evoltis."

While Evoltis sounds about as engaging as "Avensis" (Toyota) or "Magentis" (Kia), at least it's not as clunky as "Levorg" (an Aussie Subaru nameplate). Then again, when naming a child you should always try to picture how their name will be used in playground taunts, so we'll leave your to your imaginations on this one.

A mention of the Evoltis name appears in the United States Patent and Trademark Office's listings, and the application has been filed as recently as March 26. We don't know yet whether the Evoltis name would stand for the entire vehicle or its hybrid tech — or if it will be actually used at all. Car & Driver reports that Subaru of America didn't comment on the matter when asked.

But still, Subaru is said to come up with a PHEV by the end of the year, largely using Toyota's technology from the Prius Prime. We're probably not the only ones to hope for an all-wheel-drive setup, which would best suit Subaru's image and character. Last year, the carmaker said an electrified vehicle should be expected for 2018, but didn't specify whether it would be an EV or a hybrid. Subaru hasn't offered a hybrid in the U.S. since the Crosstrek Hybrid was discontinued in 2016, and it's produced precious few all-electric vehicles in its history.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
Return of the Crosstrek Hybrid

so I guess they will call the first Plug in Hybrid: the Crosstrek Evoltis?

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2019-subaru-crosstrek-hybrid-plug-in/

The Subaru Crosstrek is a fine vehicle, with its competent all-wheel-drive system and generous cargo capacity, but for those Subaru fans who own stock in Birkenstock and eat nothing but granola, its purely internal combustion engine is an affront to all that is decent. Thankfully, Subaru understands this part of its demographic and is ready to pull the sheet off of its first-ever plug-in hybrid and resurrect the Crosstrek Hybrid nameplate.

That's right kids, now you can drive your tiny little mountain goat of a car on pure electrons around town, but still enjoy the benefits of a hybrid gas-electric drivetrain on longer trips. Subaru is a little light on details regarding the official specs of the Toyota-derived plug-in system, making no mention of its pure electric range or even equivalent fuel economy.

Still, we're pretty excited, because in addition to the financial and ecological benefits of going plug-in hybrid, we're excited to see the Crosstrek get some sorely needed power and torque increases from its electric motors, as that's historically been the weak point of the platform.

Subaru has said that the Crosstrek Hybrid will be available in dealers toward the end of 2018, but didn't offer any details as to price.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/2019-subaru-crosstrek-phev-company-205500711.html

Subaru just announced its first-ever plug-in hybrid, and it comes in the form of its third-best-selling car, the Crosstrek. This is actually fitting in a couple of ways. First off, it's a quick-selling vehicle, but also because the Crosstrek was the model used for Subaru's first conventional hybrid, introduced for the 2014 model year. Sadly, the company has yet to reveal photos of the new hybrid, hence our inclusion of photos of the old model.
The Crosstrek PHEV will also have a similarity to the Subaru BRZ in the sense that it benefits from Toyota technology. The company said that the hybrid system comes from Toyota. But don't fear, Subaru fans, it's still mated to a flat-four. The crossover will, like many other PHEVs, be capable of driving in full-EV mode and in conventional hybrid mode. The company hasn't announced how much range it will have.
Subaru did reveal that the new PHEV is coming soon, with an on-sale date at the end of 2018. As such we should see photos and more details in the near future. While there aren't many plug-in hybrid compact crossovers, there are a few, and they're fairly compelling. The closest competition will be the Kia Niro PHEV, which has a claimed range of 26 miles and a solid 46 mpg when running with the gas engine. It starts at $28,840. Another potential competitor is the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, which provides 22 miles of electric-only range and a less impressive 25 mpg with the gas engine. The Outlander does boast more cargo space thanks to its bigger body, but also has a higher base price of $35,915.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts