Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 712 Posts

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great news.. Read more below..!!!

I particularly like the fact that current 2013 owners who have Pre-Aha production models can now get the upgrade from the dealership for $100.00

I wonder if this will fix many of the current problems with the system in general..??? Only time will tell..

From the Subaru Research Website...

Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009.. Outback, Legacy, Forester, WRX, STI, Impreza, Tribeca, BRZ, XV Crosstrek

"3/23 Starlink/Aha navigation upgrade will be available April-December 2013 on 2013 Outback and Legacy with navigation built prior to 1/18/13

Upgrade program to run April-December 2013. Aha is by Harman Kardon. You put the Aha app on your Android or iPhone phone (not Blackberry or Windows, though that can change) and it channels content to your navigation.

Starlink/Aha is now standard on 2013 Outback and Legacy with navigation starting with January 18, 2013 production but it can be added to 2013 Outback and Legacy with navigation built prior to that date. Download Aha, its free, from either iTunes or Google Play.

Your Subaru dealer will do the upgrade of the navigation unit. The Aha upgrade program runs April-December 2013. The cost to upgrade your navigation is $100. Subaru will contact owners.

For more information about Aha, check out http://www.subaru.com/owners/resource-center/electronics-audio/aha-radio/index.html"

Steve
Bethlehem, Pa.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Interesting! And very cool on Subaru to offer an upgrade path!

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Corrected 4/1/13: I just received the email notification, and spoke with my dealership and they are saying this is a complete Nav Unit replacement and the work will be completed by the mechanic..
Ordered the unit and will schedule as soon as possible for change out.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I just spoke with my dealership and they are saying this is a complete software update.. It's a software upload completed by the mechanic.. I'll have to wait for the notice from Subaru I guess..

Steve
Choose wisely your mechanic; not all of them are properly trained to fiddle with software...LOL

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you recall this Aha upgrade was a $100.00 option offered by Subaru once it was announced in January. I could be wrong but that's what I remember reading.

Steve

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To add to what I just said, I was right..

Subaru increased the MSRP price of the cars by $100.00 for those equipped with the new Aha function (option #35 and others) and that's how they covered it for the Post Aha roll-out.. Now we will have to pay $100.00 to get it added on.. Not that bad at all.. The owners of the new production cars that came with it starting in January got the system for a bit less if we realize they negotiated the price of the car lower than MSRP.. So they might have paid a bit less than we have to..

Steve

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Wow. Just left a message for my dealer service dept.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
It will be nice to have Aha, but what I need is an upgrade to the slow, inaccurate, and lousy interface navigation/sound system. I'll for sure get a demo before I plunk down my $100.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
My dealer said its the first they heard of it. They checked their tech bulletins and confirmed that this is available but need to look into how to do it as I'd be the first one they have done. Going in Monday for another issue...said they will research and give me the details then.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Both the dealer I purchased the OB from and the one I've been normally doing service business with have not heard of this program.

But they're both checking into it.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Outback (soon a 2013)
33 Posts
I got the email too - hoping it would be free. I'll talk to my dealer and see what deal they can cut me - I would hope after spending top dollar for a top of the line car that they could work out something for me to get this feature that was advertised with the car before it was available. If nothing else - I'll just use my reward dollars from my Subaru CC. It is interesting that someone posted it is software only, while the email makes it sound like it is hardware. Guess I'll have to write down all my settings, since I'm sure they'll be lost. Too bad you can't backup settings to a USB drive or SD card.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
Here's the email body, sounds like a replacement of the entire nav unit:

Subaru Starlink/Aha Update Program for select
2013MY Legacy and Outback models

We recently announced our Starlink™ in-car connectivity system featuring the Aha™ connected service at the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show in January. You are receiving this letter to notify you of an optional update program to add Starlink and Aha functionality to your 2013MY Legacy or Outback with factory navigation.

Starlink featuring Aha brings web service providers into your automobile. Now all your favorite content can be organized and at your fingertips so you won’t miss a beat when you’re on the road. Aha serves as an in-dash app used in conjunction with a supported smartphone.

News, podcasts, weather, Internet radio, Facebook, Twitter, even audiobooks all integrate seamlessly to turn your car into a rolling multi-media station. It's a great way to keep your life moving when you’re on the move, and it's available today.

We’re pleased to offer this service as an optional factory upgrade to your factory navigation-equipped 2013 Legacy or Outback.

This optional factory upgrade is available until December 31, 2013 at your Subaru retailer at a cost of $100.00. The update will require an exchange of your navigation system at the Subaru retailer of your choice, and the exchange will take approximately an hour. Your Subaru retailer will need to order the parts prior to the service appointment.

For more information on this special offer, contact your Subaru retailer or contact Subaru at www.subaru.com/contact us or by calling 1-800-SUBARU3. For information on Aha Radio click here.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Here's a screenshot of the email I got today (two screenshots to get it all in). Car is at the dealer today, they are looking into what they need to do in order to upgrade.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it seems that the original early info was wrong.. I stand corrected.. I just spoke with my dealership and they are ordering the head unit for me.. Hope to get it in by next week..

Steve

·
Registered
White 2013 Outback 3.6 Ltd with eyesight
28 Posts
We'll be getting this upgrade the next time we go in for scheduled maintenance. Too bad this didn't come out a week ago, because I just got the 7,500 mile service done two days ago.

I'm just glad we were included in the retrofit since we bought in Sept of 2012.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,223 Posts
I was happy to see this email. I bought at Xmas and I cant tell you HOW MANY different people at Subaru I asked if I would be able to upgrade when this came out. Dealer people, people at the Car show - and when I phoned Subaru of America and spoke about it in Feb to someone. They ALL said I would NOT be able to upgrade.

Guess they were wrong.

Ill definitely be doing this.

(dreaming of some extra audio adjustments available with a new head unit - but not holding my breath).

I DID just do my 7500 mile job last Thursday - wish I had known about this. oh well.

1 - 20 of 712 Posts