Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
15,977 Posts
Wholly Sheit...It's f'n huge.

I guess that's the point. It doesn't appear to have gotten any prettier either. Even under the mask, you can tell.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
735 Posts
I was told by a very reliable source the look was JGC meets BMW X5. Also, except a turbo 4

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if this test mule is using the existing Outback headlights and grill until the real design is released. That grill looks small in proportion by 2017+ (big-a** grill) standards. The tail lights also look a bit Forester-ish.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,667 Posts
Want a Levorg in Harlot Scarlet.

Attachments

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,602 Posts
It's fairly obvious it's a test mule and what it's based on, just like its predecessor. Yes it's big. It has to be. Why? Because the Tribeca was too small to matter where it needed to be big if it was going to survive.

We dance around the white elephant in the room all we want, but we all know of Subaru wants to be a big deal it needs this.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
This will have the new platform set up for plugin hybrid tech. If they give it about 10kw battery so I can run local trips via EV only charged via my solar system on the house... And give it a 3500lb tow rating they'll have a game changer, in the typical small 3row family haulers. Currently dominated by the Highlander.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
As for size people it needs to be a 3 across seater ie wider than the OB. Needs to be as long as the Highlander for over flow temp 3rd row use. Which means its going to be bigger than the too small failed Tribecca.

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,602 Posts
As for size people it needs to be a 3 across seater ie wider than the OB. Needs to be as long as the Highlander for over flow temp 3rd row use. Which means its going to be bigger than the too small failed Tribecca.
That's kinda what I said.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,569 Posts
I, for one, think bigger is better for this vehicle design.

Because it means that there's now a chance that they'll let the Outback / Legacy platform stop trying to address the bottom end of this SUV market, and instead revert it back to its roots as a smaller, lighter weight, agile wagon for the next design cycle.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
15,977 Posts
instead revert it back to its roots as a smaller, lighter weight wagon for the next design cycle.
Dinosaur dreams my friend. I wish what you do as well...But the USDM, Not gonna happen, USA in general is about bloat...if the oil barrel and interest rates don't squeeze us dry...we make babies like rabbits...and then.... the bloat becomes the norm...something with 16 rows needs to haul them around, right...

:crazyeye:

Whoops....Sorry...My Bad...

:soapbox:

:hide:

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,453 Posts
Welcome to America...

...Subaru Exiga aka ASCENT :D

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,358 Posts
Thanks for sharing, this is really cool!

I see Subaru making the same evolution that Honda did when they built the Accord into the Odyssey back in 1994, including making the same mistake with the back doors: they should be sliders rather than front-hinged.

Anyone else notice the utter lack of a roof rack? Of course they could bolt one on, just wondered if it said anything about the overall height, center of gravity, developmental status of this mule etc.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,243 Posts
Anyone else notice the utter lack of a roof rack? Of course they could bolt one on, just wondered if it said anything about the overall height, center of gravity, developmental status of this mule etc.
I did. You have to figure that since this is a test mule, if they'd actually put regular Outback roof rails on, it would have sort of totally given the game away. Or the JDM ones from the touring even. It's not going to affect the Center of Gravity that much.

Now, did anyone else notice the dual exhausts, indicative of the 3.6R? (Which is pretty obvious, I don't think putting a turbo 2.5 liter in there would be enough, not for the amount of weight it's supposed to haul.)

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,358 Posts
Now, did anyone else notice the dual exhausts, indicative of the 3.6R? (Which is pretty obvious, I don't think putting a turbo 2.5 liter in there would be enough, not for the amount of weight it's supposed to haul.)
All 2005-2009 Outbacks had dual exhausts regardless of engine. I guess they changed this with a more recent model?

On the other hand, my reading of this wikipedia link explaining CAFE requirements suggests to me that the 3.6r is going to have a hard time staying in the Outback.

Key points:

Outback 3.6R currently has 27mpg rating, which just barely squeaks it in for the small light truck category for 2017 models.

2018 models will require 28mpg rating. Subaru might find some optimization somewhere in order to pull this off. Maybe.

On the other hand, a larger light truck only needs to score 19mpg for 2018. And looking down the chart, it doesn't need to improve until 2022, and even then only nudges up a little.

If the new 3-row is just barely big enough to count as a large light truck and can still score ≥19mpg, they can keep stamping them out for a profitable number of years and extend 3.6R production for a good while, if only in that new big-body model.

tl;dr: I think 2017 is the final year for the Outback 3.6R, and starting with model year 2018 that engine will be exclusively available in the Big-aru.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Early Test mules are really rough machines this one is probably only set up for testing running gear, cooling etc. Roof racks only show up when they start doing mileage testing.

The duel exhaust comments are pretty funny. My truck with a V8 has one tail pipe.

Subaru moved to duel exhaust in the late 90s for the 2.5 to help address heat build up and cooling issues.

This new machine sits on the new platform no doubt designed to accomidate hybrid batteries that means weight, add 3rd row crash standards and its a heavier platform. Add up these heavier requirments and the 3.6 or something similar is a must. It also needs to be a fairly large machine. Honda Pilot, Ford Explorer, Nissan Pathfinder etc. These machines are more or less beefier minivans today.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
735 Posts
My source tells me it's 7 passenger with bucket seats and a true 8 passenger with the bench seat option in the rear. This could be your next one subiesailor!

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
735 Posts
Early Test mules are really rough machines this one is probably only set up for testing running gear, cooling etc. Roof racks only show up when they start doing mileage testing.

The duel exhaust comments are pretty funny. My truck with a V8 has one tail pipe.

Subaru moved to duel exhaust in the late 90s for the 2.5 to help address heat build up and cooling issues.

This new machine sits on the new platform no doubt designed to accomidate hybrid batteries that means weight, add 3rd row crash standards and its a heavier platform. Add up these heavier requirments and the 3.6 or something similar is a must. It also needs to be a fairly large machine. Honda Pilot, Ford Explorer, Nissan Pathfinder etc. These machines are more or less beefier minivans today.
2.5 turbo…………..

1 - 20 of 216 Posts