Subaru Outback Forums banner

201 - 216 of 216 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i w/AWP 6MT
403 Posts
Since towing keeps coming up everywhere, I did my duty in letting them know...

Hi, as a Subie Owner (looking for a bigger Subaru) and Subaru Ambassador, I am very very excited for the release of the Subaru Ascent.

I've been following many threads in forums and Facebook and on articles about it, and there's one major point that continuously comes up. Figured I'd point it out just in case...

Towing capacity.

Many people are looking for a vehicle that competes with the Explorer's high end towing capacity (5,000 pounds) - and I'm one of them.

You're otherwise building the perfect family hauler/adventure vehicle... it would be a shame if it was as severely limited in travel trailer hauling capabilities... even ultra-lights are too heavy for the Outback for any but the smallest sizes.

Hoping you take that into consideration and create a vehicle capable of pulling the 5,000-6,000 pound towing mark.

Perhaps like Ford and others, you could offer the higher tow rating in an optional package or higher trim? The Explorer starts at only 2,000 pound towing capacity. Other car manufacturers do the same with starting and high end towing limits.

Otherwise, besides everyone hoping the ground clearance is where a big Subie should be (higher or as high as the Forester), that seems to be the only thing I've heard that people are truly worried about.

Best,
Rob
And the response...

Dear Robert,

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking time out of your day to contact us.

I appreciate the time you’ve taken to write to me. I will document your feedback on the towing capacity potential for the new Ascent and pass it on to Product Development for consideration and review. Technical information about the Ascent hasn’t been released yet, but will become available closer to the launch of the new model. Your feedback is most appreciated, as they provide us with a clear picture of our products as seen by our owners, and what our customers are looking for in our future vehicles.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance, Robert.
Crossing fingers...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,340 Posts
5,000 pound towing capacity, first units in dealerships April-ish.
any news about the tongue weight? hopefully higher then 200# wimpyness of all subarus since this forum started.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would expect a four cylinder turbo would require the use of premium gas which would be enough of a reason for me to pass and wait for the Gen 6 OB.

Probably too late of a development for the Ascent as it's been under development for years but recent roll back of EPA requirements will give a much longer possible life span for the 3.6.

Given the current administration's push for the use of coal could be the power source of my next vehicle - just hope my wife can shovel fast enough to keep up a good head of steam. :grin2:
This has to be the most idiotic reasoning for switching to another car - Premium Gas. From dead empty, it shouldn't cost more than $3.00 more to fill your tank. I fill up once every to weeks in my 3.6R, so that comes out to $78 more per YEAR that I would spend going from regular 87 to 91 Premium. If $78/year is not worth the reliability, safety, and protection of your family, than you sir are a frickin moron.

·
Registered
3 Posts
IIRC it's been mentioned that in a company press release they stated to expect a "surprise" in the power train.

Then a turbo 4 and hybrid electric drive for rear wheels on the most expensive trims.
I can't think of another Japanese manufacturer doing this and I'm sure Subaru would like to be the first.

Maybe we'll know next week in NY but no reason for them to commit this early.
You obviously know nothing of Subaru. They have no intentions of ever doing a Hybrid Electric design because it doesn't work with their AWD system. Only reason companies like Toyota and GM do it is because there are still people out there who actually believe Hybrid technology is working, when in fact it has been dying a slow and merciful death because it's been proven Hybrid's actually cost more to own than a traditional gas engine. https://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/hybrid-cars-dont-save-you-money-do-the-math/

Subaru's only intention is to cater to those uneducated individuals and "possibly" release a plug-in model, but only because the industry "demands it".

·
Registered
3 Posts
With the VW Atlas on sale as we speak they need to show the very near production version and hopefully we will get the power train info also
Subaru does not consider VW a competitor, nor does it care that you need visual proof of what the car looks like. It's a SUBARU. It's going to be reliable, safe, have Eyesight which is infinitely better than whatever that garbage is VW is trying to pass off as a driver assist.

What's under the hood, the press releases say all new DI Turbo. Does this mean the new 2.5 turbo is finally here?
New? Have you not read the report? It's a brand new engine 2.4L DIT. There will be no "new" 2.5 Turbo - at least that's what Subaru of Ameirca has told me.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,340 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 3.6R, 2012 Impreza Sport Limited
9 Posts
I've been researching the new Chevy Traverse. It seats 3 across the 3rd row (something I prefer), tows 5000lbs with the V-6, and is big (204.3 inches long).

In my opinion that extra length is gonna be really convienent. You still have room in the the "trunk" with the 3rd row up. Subaru should take note and go back to the viziv-7 concept dimensions (assuming they have enough room to fit that thing on the assembly line).

With those things in mind I priced one out. V-6, leather seats, AWD, towing package, all weather mats. Came in at $44,900!? That's not even close to being fully loaded. Gonna be really interested to see what the Subie prices out at. Hopefully they don't charge a huge premium for leather seats like Chevy does. Leather is so much easier to keep clean with kiddos.

·
Registered
2005 2.5i Limited 5MT California & 2016 base 2.5i
656 Posts
You can price an Outback to $39,969 (MSRP) so an Ascent in the mid high 40s will not be a surprise.

Leather seems to be one of those things they stick into the higher end packages though. I agree, it holds up so much better!! My 2005 leather is in excellent condition.

My budget is probably the bottom of the barrel low 30s (although I really want that leather too....)

As an example, an AWD Highlander (LE) with no options is 32,900 invoice, plus any incentives they may have going on will bring it to the low 30s.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 3.6R, 2012 Impreza Sport Limited
9 Posts
As expected, but now officially confirmed. The Ascent will make it's debut at the LA Auto Show which runs December 1-10.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT Caramel Bronze Pearl
15 Posts
Thanks for the update, my wife is looking for one to replace her 06 B9.

201 - 216 of 216 Posts